The sweetest thing

Happy endings, do they exist?

Kyungsoo was not sure what it was that prompted her to walk into the gallery and face up to this utterly bizarre display of public regret. How did she feel about it? Was she angry? Touched? In love? Humiliated?

 

The story had gone viral. Kyungsoo wasn't completely sure how she felt about this, but humiliation was the overriding emotion. Kyungsoo was also surprised. Jongin wasn't particularly a famous artist. And certainly no one knew who she was. But something about their story had caught the attention of the whole city. Everyone seemed to love the idea of the breakdown of a relationship, and the artist boyfriend, trying to paint his way back into his beloved's heart. In the end, Kyungsoo had felt that she had to be at the opening night.

 

She had dressed appropriately for the evening, she reckoned. She was wearing a leather jacket over a delicate black vest top paired with black skinny jeans. Her shoes were simple black ballet plump. Black. As it was the color of mourning for the end of their relationship.

 

Luhan had come with her for moral support, but promised to stay calm and quite. She walked behind Kyungsoo, a few steps away, so Kyungsoo knew she was there.

 

Kyungsoo saw Jongin standing in the middle of a modest opening might media scrum, holding a sparkling flute of champagne and twitching nervously. He caught a glimpse of her and suddenly seemed to zone out of his conversation with the people around him, but Kyungsoo just nodded at him to carry on and leave her be for a moment. They still know each other so well that a simple nod was worth more than any words.

 

The lighting in the area where the exhibition was displayed had been dimmed just a little. The first thing Kyungsoo saw in front of her was a small bath on the floor, with a mobile phone in the water. It was so simple, obvious even, but it brought back the fury she had felt when she had discovered Jongin's secret. She had wanted to destroy everything. She had wanted to tear pictures from the walls, cut up the bed sheets, and cover his clothes in paint.

 

Along the wall on the left side of the room was a series of paintings and collages of Kyungsoo. That was weird too, she realized. They did not show large sections of Kyungsoo, but the arch of an eyebrow, part of her lips, her back when it was turned at a party. The way he depicted her made her look so much more beautiful than the image she had of herself in her mind.

 

Another part of the exhibition was a laptop, which had been taken apart. Keys had been pulled out, rearranged to spell "DO KYUNGSOO, I AM SORRY" and attached to the main keypad from the computer.

 

In a large frame was a photograph of Jongin, with white labels next to different parts of his face, the wording in classic typewriter font. They read "I WAS FOOLISH", "I MADE MISTAKE" and "I'M HUMAN". It was pretty stunning, Kyungsoo thought, feeling a tide of love wash over her again, just like it did when they were first dating and she knew she was onto something special.

 

A few people were milling about, standing in the ruins of her past and Jongin's present, cooing at how painfully beautiful it all was. Some of them looked at Kyungsoo and realized who she was. But Kyungsoo wasn't embarrassed.

 

She had, in that moment, realized just how much Jongin loved her, and it hit her like a bolt of lightning, sending chills down her back. She was touched to the point where she could have cried on the floor and made herself the final, missing part of Jongin's exhibition. A live display of the agony that heartbreak brings. Did it really have to come to this?

 

Part of her wanted to rush over to him and kiss him passionately and to make everything okay again, but it was still difficult to get over what had happened. Should she forgive her cheating boyfriend? Did cheats ever stop playing the game?

 

Jongin kept looking at her nervously, glancing away from the people he spoke to every now and then as if to assess the damage. To see how she would react. Would there be drama? Would there be tears?

 

"What are you going to do?" Luhan whispered in Kyungsoo's ear.

 

"I don't know. This is all so touching, and it seems so real, but I just don't know if I can trust him again," Kyungsoo replied, looking at Luhan and seeing her skeptical look, one she had worn ever since the whole affair was discovered.

 

Jongin looked over again, and Kyungsoo again gestured at him to stay away. He stepped back into a shadow in the room, where she could see him watching her over the top of his glass, his gorgeous face partially hidden in the darkness. Jongin looked sad; desperate, perhaps.

 

Kyungsoo asked Luhan to give her a few moments alone and she made her way to the video projection in one corner and slipped the headphones onto her head. Goosebumps covered her skin as she heard the music, Richard Mark's 'Right Here Waiting'. She mouthed the lyrics, and as she sang along, the hairs rose on her arms. The video created a strange effect that reached right inside Kyungsoo and made tears well in her eyes.        

 

Suddenly she felt a soft touch on her arm. She knew immediately it was Jongin.

 

Kyungsoo turned around slowly, and looked at him. Her face was completely still, the muscles not moving and contracting the way they usually did when she tried to hold back her tears. They were just flowing from her eyes.

 

Jongin reached out and held her chin, tilting her head slightly. "You are beautiful," he whispered, wiping her tears away. "I'm so glad you're here, so I can just tell you finally what I've done and what I haven't done..." he whispered. Jongin shuffled her slightly into the corner of the room away from prying eyes, turning her to look at him.

 

"Listen Kyungsoo. To begin with, I'm sorry this went as big as it did. I had no idea it would be picked up by all the nationals, but it seems you can't really put the brakes on all this stuff once you've said something. It's a nightmare. But you need to know that I haven't cheated on you... you shut me out, and I've had no chance to tell you what's happened. It's been awful..."

 

"I just don't feel like I can trust you, Jongin, you have a profile on a dating site, and it is being used," she said, through gritted teeth. She pulled her face away from Jongin's hands and wiped it dry before folding her arms and looking at him once more.

 

Jongin sighed. "Listen. I know this doesn't look good. I know that. I set up a profile years ago, before we met. When we got together, for some stupid reason, I was still intrigued to read the messages I was being sent. " Jongin looked down at the floor, his face pained. "Some of them were very funny, some weird, it kind of became an amusement to me... I know it was incredibly foolish of me... but I can wholeheartedly promise that I never went on any dates since I being with you. I've never even replied to the messages. Not even once, I love you, Kyungsoo, more than you will ever understand. I know I've been an idiot, but you are the best thing that ever happened to me..."

 

Kyungsoo bit her lip and looked down at her feet. She knew him so well that she believed his argument. She could see it in his eyes. He was right about his stupidity. But as stupid as he had been, he hadn't cheated on her as such...    

 

Kyungsoo was going to have to take a huge leapt of faith.

 

"I love you, Jongin," she said, slowly.

 

"I love you so much, I miss you deeply, I just need to know you aren't going to hurt me again," she said, tears welling in her eyes.

 

"I would never hurt you, Kyungsoo. But I do know that it's you that needs to make the decision whether or not you believe in me and whether or not you can forgive me for this..."

 

Kyungsoo's heart rate felt as if it had slowed down right now. She had to take the leap right now. She had to jump.

 

She couldn't imagine a world without him and, as she looked at him now, she realized she could feel sorry for him, in some ways. Kyungsoo reached forwards, pulled his hands, and kissed him softly.

 

Jongin put his hands around her waist, pulling her close to his body. "I love you Kyungsoo. I'm so sorry. I just need you back with me, in my life, by my side. Every day-"

 

"Shhh," Kyungsoo whispered, pushing her finger to his lips before kissing him once more.

 

The room burst into applause.

 

 

 


 

a/n: i'm really really really sorry for the super late update. real life duties are killing me orz but thanks for staying with me ;; one more chapter to go, and now i'm working on it *coughscoughs* xD