Where's my happy ending

Happy endings, do they exist?

Kyungsoo's 'stalking' hadn't come up with anything that incriminated his boyfriend. In many ways, this should have been considered successful, but not to her. She had to get to the bottom of this mystery. The profile was still on the website and she was furious.

 

She was heartbroken.

 

"Soo, I'm going out tonight, I'll be back before midnight maybe."

 

"Where are you going?" she asked Jongin as she was preparing herself for evening shift at work. Kyungsoo could feel her heart was beating hard in her chest. She felt like she was about to explode.

 

Jongin was lying on the bed, looking at the ceiling. "Just going for a few drinks with the boys. We're probably going to Hongdae, the usual, I guess," he said. "I didn't really want to go now, to be honest," Jongin said again, running his hand through his hair.

 

"Why?" asked Kyungsoo, she can't help but gritting her teeth.   

   

"I don't know. I'm tired, love. But I do have to go, I haven't seen them for a while and it's Saturday night, after all," Jongin said with a smile, both hands now on his broad chest.

 

Kyungsoo realized she was reading something into everything he did and everything he said. Even the slightest change of expression, everything took on a new meaning now. She even imagined him in the middle of women, dancing and grinding around him.

 

"Are you okay, Soo?" Jongin asked suddenly, sitting up a little in bed.

 

Kyungsoo was furious. She couldn't hold it in much longer.

 

"Yes, fine. I'm sure you'll have a good time," she said flatly, turning back to look at herself in the mirror. She wanted to let it out, but she doesn't know how.

 

"You look so beautiful," Jongin now stood behind her, his hands s around her waist from behind, tilting his head to see her properly. "And you smell good too..."

 

"Can't you be late? You know... come to the bed first?" Jongin added cheekily. From the mirror, Kyungsoo could saw his face crunched up in a familiar expression of wanting. Jongin knew something was not right from how irritable his girlfriend seemed, but he was hoping to distract her.

 

Kyungsoo looked at him. He was gorgeous. And she loved him so much. "No, I have to go now," she responded. Jongin sighed a little in disappointment before went back to the bed.       

 

Jongin's phone which was perched on the makeup table vibrated loudly. Kyungsoo never looked at his phone, and Jongin never looked at hers. There was a level of mutual respect and trust between them that made it completely unnecessary. But Kyungsoo couldn't help herself this time. She pushed a button on the buttom of the screen to bring it to life.

 

"What are you doing, Kyungsoo? Pass it over here, please?" Jongin said, sounding a little nervous.

 

But there it was. An email from a dating site.

 

'Kim Hanna has sent you a message,' it read.    

  

Kyungsoo felt fire spread inside her. "Yeah, sure Kim Jongin. You might want to make sure you read that one," she said, throwing the phone in his direction.

 

Jongin caught it and looked down at the screen. His expression changed.

 

Kyungsoo stepped quickly out of the room and stood in the hallway, "Have fun cheating on me tonight," she said before running out of the door, which she slammed behind her hard.

 

Jongin sat up sharply in bed and raised his hands to his hair, down to his face. !

 

Kyungsoo switched off her mobile phone. She was very angry and still shaking. Tears kept coming to her eyes, and she tried to look at the sky to stop them flowing so obviously down her face. But it failed. She opened her handbag, found a tissues and pressed it to her eyes. People walking passed her gave her the odd glance, but no one really care.

 

Jongin had already tried to call her before she had switched off her phone. She didn't want to talk to him. She couldn't handle her heartbreak and her rage. After passed a few corners and trying not to bump into people due to her teary vision, she stepped into Black Soul Coffee.

 

Jongdae was standing at the counter when she came in. "Hey, are you okay? You look like you've been-" Jongdae started, but he was cut off.

 

"Sorry, I'm late. Your customer awaits you, Mr. Jongdae," Kyungsoo replied, not giving him the opportunity to ask her any other question. Before long, Jongdae was leaning towards the customer, talking quietly yet earnestly to him.

 

The shift went slowly. Jongin kept calling the work phone, but she told her co-worker to told him that she was busy. Throughout the evening, she found the words 'break up' popping into her mind.

 

During her short break, Jongdae emerged from the back room, with a wet apron and pink glove on both hands.

 

"Jongdae what are you doing?" Kyungsoo cried, starting to push him backwards into the kitchen.

 

"But, listen, Kyungsoo. It's Jongin, he's out-"

 

"What?"

 

"Jongin is out at the back. He has come in through the kitchen door and wants to speak to you. He's been knocking for ages, but I have to ignore him because I am so busy, luckily the manager already gone home," he said, walking backwards as she pushed him around the corner.

 

"What's going on with you two, anyway? Why won't you speak to him-"

 

"Shut up, Jongdae, please," Kyungsoo said, out of her breath.

 

"Fine, fine! Have it your way," he said, storming back into the kitchen.

 

Kyungsoo took a deep breath, clamped her lips together and followed him to the kitchen. I am not going to forgive Jongin for this, she said to herself, unwilling to let him turn his way back into her heart. She'd seen the evidence, there was no way he could get out of it now.

 

And there he was.

 

"Kyungsoo, listen, I know this looks bad, but sweetheart, I'm sorry. I can explain," Jongin said, placing his hand on the steel surface of a sink next to him.

 

"Looks bad? Are you having a laugh, Jongin?" she asked, her eyes covered with tears and the heat rising within her chest. Jongin didn't seem to be taking this nearly as seriously as he should be, Kyungsoo realized.

 

"Soo, I don't date women on that site. I don't even reply to them. It's... it's..." Jongin said, starting to shutter. His thick dark brown hair was stuck to his forehead, he was starting to sweat.  

 

"Oh, come on Jongin!" Kyungsoo cried. "You're obviously having an affair, scandal, or, or, something!" she steadied herself by gripping onto a nearby surface.

 

"I don't cheat, Kyungsoo..."

 

"This is not really something you can explain, is it? Just admit it, Jongin." Kyungsoo said again, starting to pace towards him. All she saw before her was a flustered, guilty man.

 

"No, please wait, Kyungsoo, listen! This isn't the right place. I want to sit down with you and tell you the whole story. I can explain, Kyungsoo... and you'll see it's not nearly as bad as it looks!"

 

But Kyungsoo was beyond listening. "Dating, Jongin. Dating another woman. In secret. Behind my back!"

 

"It's not like that!" he yelled. Kyungsoo raised and put her finger on his lips, hoping her co-workers couldn't hear them.

 

Jongdae obviously felt the same. "Shut up, you two. I'm trying to ing work!" he shouted.

 

"Get out, Jongin. Now. And I'm not coming home," Kyungsoo said before pushing him out of the back door and into the cool night air. She then pressed her back at the closed door, crying. Kyungsoo didn't want to lose him. She'd so often heard about women who knew their men were straying but they couldn't face up to it. She could never understand it before, but now she felt it. And she can literally felt that her world was crumbling down and her entire being was suffering.

 

It's over now, isn't it? Where's my happy ending?