Smoking's bad for you

Happy endings, do they exist?

It seemed a little strange to be alone. The bed seemed like a never ending landscape without her boyfriend. It had been nearly two weeks since the night they fought, and even though Kyungsoo had cut all contact with him, the Jongin situation was plaguing her every thought. Her boyfriend had been dating other women. There was no way he could explain it. There was no easy way to get over this. Kyungsoo missed him, of course, but she couldn't get over what had happened. There was a feeling of dread in her stomach, and the pillows were wet with her tears.

 

Kyungsoo closed her eyes, and her mind was transported back to two and a half year earlier, to the bus stop near her house. A man was sitting next to her whom she had never seen before, he'd been gripping on to a cigarette between his thumb and index finger.

 

"Smoking's bad for you," she had said, unexpectedly.

 

The man smirked. He stood and threw the cigarette into the nearby dustbin without even finishing it.

 

"Thank you," he replied, smiling. There was a dark crimson rush to Kyungsoo's cheeks. He was so handsome it scared her. He had been wearing a dark brown polo t-shirt with effortless cool. His fringe was so long it sloped down into a point, almost covering his eyes.     

  

"I'm Kim Jongin," he had said. His dark brown orbs had met hers and made what she thought was a disturbingly strong connection. It had felt a little like an electric current being passed through her body. He had a great nose. Kyungsoo hadn't been sure what it was about the nose that was so good, but it was good. Not too big, not too small, just perfect.

 

Jongin has pursed his lips as if in thought, before looking up and flashing her a cheeky smile. He extended a hand to her direction.

 

"You going to shake my hand or what?" he had said, looked a little mischievous.

 

Kyungsoo'd paused for a moments, rising her eyebrow as she eventually reached him out. "Hi Jongin, nice to meet you."

 

But as soon as she did so, Jongin pulled his hand away, like a child. "Ha, too late!" he yelled, laughing mischievously and slamming the withdrawn hand onto the bench.

 

Kyungsoo had withdrawn her hand quickly too, embarrassed and instantly irritated by him. "That's mature," she had said flatly, staring at him with her big owl eyes. She realized she was probably coming across as pretty rude, and so had smiled.

 

"It's perfect, er... what's your name, sorry?" Jongin had asked.

 

"Kyungsoo. Do Kyungsoo," she replied. "What's perfect?"

 

"Your moles, on your ear and neck. You've got a perfect moles," he said, before unexpectedly hopped onto the bus, leaving Kyungsoo in puzzled.   

 

She'd spent the whole of that evening decoding that encounter with Luhan.

 

"What does it mean if a man says you have a perfect moles, Lu? Does he like you?" Kyungsoo asked, hanging upside down her bed, her long hair spreading out over the carpet. She had not been able to shift the image of Kim Jongin from her head.

 

"Hm, moles? Moles... uhmm. I don't know, Soo. I mean, it wasn't like he said you had a nice eyes or s or legs or whatever, was it?" she said, looking up with a painful honesty in her eyes. "And what kind of boy talks about moles? He sounds like a weirdo to me," Luhan added, frowned slightly.

 

"So, should I just forget about Jongin, then?" she asked one more time.

 

"I think so," Luhan replied before she added, "Just leave it to fate, babe."

 

And when fate said yes, it was a big fat yes. Kyungsoo had a gorgeous boyfriend.

 

Kim Jongin.

 

He had gone from being her impossible crush to her reality after he had accidentally spilled an iced coffee down her white dress on a summer afternoon, just a few weeks after they had first met.

 

Kyungsoo had thought she would never see him again, and was surprised to find his shocked face before her as he stood, holding an empty cup, the drink seeping through the soft material of her dress and onto her skin. He had laughed at her polka dot bra and she had slapped his cheek.

 

Jongin spent the whole summer hand-delivering roses to the boutique she worked in at that time, making that summer one of the best of her life. Kyungsoo had been reluctant to let him at first. She enjoyed the flowers first of all, and the attention, of course. But after weeks, they became a good friends and when Jongin asked her out a year later (it was that long because good things come to those who wait as what was stated in Jongin's imaginary book of life hack), she said yes.    

 

 

***

 

 

Kyungsoo woke up the next morning at 7.20 a.m., the long sleeve of a dark blue shirt belong to Jongin wrapped around her body. Her eyes were all puffy and red, and she had such a strong headache it felt like someone had thumped her around the back of her head. It was Monday, and Kyungsoo had to get ready for her class.

 

She managed to get a seat on the bus. A stray of Daily Seoul newspaper was on the seat in front of her and Kyungsoo picked it up. She flicked through the first couple of pages of the paper, unable to focus on the stories.

 

But the moment her eyes settled on the next page, she was greeted by the sight of her own face smiling back at her. She looked away from the page and then back down again, in total disbelief, wondering if she was going crazy. Kyungsoo quickly scanned the headline:

 

HEARTBREAK EXHIBITION WITH THE THEME "FORGIVE ME, MY LOVE"

 

What?!    

 

Kyungsoo felt nauseous as she looked again at the photo. There she was, her arms around Jongin in packaged with her bright big eyes and her beaming smile. Her eyes stung with tears as she looked back down at the page and tried to read:

 

 

Local artist Kim Jongin has unveiled a new exhibition, inspired by his heartbreak over a rift with his girlfriend; Do Kyungsoo, in a last-ditch attempt to win back her heart. The exhibition "Forgive Me, My Love" was installed last night at his gallery at Gangnam, and will officially open this Friday.

 

Mr. Kim told the Daily Seoul, "I love Kyungsoo more than anything and needed to capture those feelings, that I had to turn it into art. What was happened between us is something I want to keep private. I made a huge mistake and I regretted it, deeply."

 

"Forgive Me, My Love" will open for public on Friday morning at 10 a.m. and it will remain on display for a month.

 

 

Kyungsoo felt as if she couldn't breathe. She shoved the paper into her bag and jumped off the bus at the next stop. As soon as she was out and into the fresh air, she checked her voicemail. She had received a few calls from numbers she didn't recognized the day before, but she'd ignored them, thinking they were Jongin trying a new way to get her to answer. She knew there were voicemails waiting but she didn't wanted to hear his voice.

 

"Hello, Miss Do Kyungsoo. This is Kim Soo Hyun calling from the Daily Seoul. Can you call me back, please? I need to talk to you about the new exhibition by Mr. Kim Jongin. Thanks."

 

"Hi, Miss Do. I'm Kim Taeyeon and I'm calling from The Times. We are running a story about Kim Jongin and his new exhibition after we saw it in the local newspaper. Can you give me a call back, please?"

 

 

Oh.

 

My.

 

God.

 

 

 

 


 

 

a/n: because i've always had a thing for kyungsoo's moles lol. i think we will have two more chapters to go. errr.. uhm... i actually have a question to ask you guys. do you mind a chapter? because my byuntae beta asked for one lol but i still want to hear your opinion. thank you ^^