Surprisingly calm

Happy endings, do they exist?

Kyungsoo made sure her outfit was plain. Grey shirt, black pants and black cardigan hanging limply around her shoulders to hide her subtle curve. And also a pair of sunglasses. For today, she had to be someone who blended into the background. Somebody who can only be recognized by a close friend, and only if they looked carefully enough.

 

Jongin thought she was working at the coffee shop today, but she had changed the route, gathered up the courage to really do this, to stalk her boyfriend and try to catch him in the act. To try and catch him stealing a forbidden kiss or maybe running his hands over a stranger, a body that wasn't her. How the thoughts really killed her on the inside.   

 

The night before, when she found Jongin's dating profile on the internet, she had struggled so hard to keep the fact to herself. She had thought surprisingly calmly about the best way to handle it, and had wondered if she was in denial. Such a huge shock because it was so unlike him. She even wondered if she should set up a profile too, with a fake picture, and arrange a meeting to actually catch him in the act.

 

Kyungsoo and Luhan had agreed that she could keep it to herself for the time being, and try to find out more before making any rush accusations. She hoped that maybe she had got it wrong but she hadn't been able to get the image out of her head all night, Jongin's face from one of the pages of internet dating site.

 

So, here goes, she thought, took a deep breath as the door clicking closed behind her. She headed to the crowds of people moving along the pavement. Eventually, she reached the gallery, pausing for a moment a few meters away from the glass door. Jongin was a twenty eight year old fine artist, and there she was, in his boyfriend's workplace.

 

She began to tiptoe down an alleyway to the side of the gallery, listening for any voices she might hear through its open windows. It was difficult to hear anything other than the fast beating of her heart, so she took a few more deep breaths to calm herself down.    

 

After about half an hour, she realized it was more than likely that this could be a wasted trip. And even if Jongin was inside, he wasn't likely to be carrying on with some other women there, was he? When she was thinking about going back home, suddenly she heard the voice of her boyfriend at the end of the alleyway, echoing so much that it was hard to make out the words. Kyungsoo pressed herself as flat against the wall as she could, a little closer to the sound but far enough to not be seen.

 

"So, how's life after you move in with your girlfriend, dude?" she heard a man's voice. Kyungsoo held her breath.

 

"It's great. I'm content, I really am and so does she," Jongin replied. Kyungsoo sighed deeply in silent relief, thinking that she might have overreacted about all of this.

 

But it just made no sense, there was a dating profile.

 

"Do you not ever get freaked out, though?" came the voice again.

 

"By what?"

 

"Well, you've decided to live together, your life is kind of attached to her now, and yeah, you can't really be with another woman." Kyungsoo felt a spurt of anger, and just about held herself back from running out and giving this man, whoever he was, a good talking to.

 

"No, not at all. I'm just really happy," Jongin replied. Kyungsoo let a deep breath out, careful to be absolutely silent.

 

But again, the internet dating profile didn't just appear from nowhere.

 

"It's good to hear that, I'm happy for you, dude," as he replied, there was a silver van appeared and she saw Jongin and the man were lifting something into the van.

 

"Alright, Jongin. All packed up."

 

Jongin walked back into the gallery, wiping a few beads of sweat from his forehead. A small wave of panic washed over him as he considered what he was going to do next. He needed to come up with his next exhibition. A new concept. As he stared out of the window, both hands on his hips, he noticed a woman dash past on the other side of the street who looked just like his girlfriend. 

 

Kyungsoo?

 

 


 

 

a/n: short update but i'll post the next chapter soooooon. working on it now :) and thanks to my amazing beta, lily (sadly she doesn't have aff acc ;;)
oh btw. 'fine artists' create original pieces of art work, through a variety of mediums, as stated here