Who he could ring

Happy endings, do they exist?

", , !" Jongin said it out loud, a trickle of soapy water running down his forehead. A bottle of shampoo slid from the edge of the bath and landed in the water with a flash.

 

Kyungsoo didn't came home for days. But when he got home from his work yesterday, the sight of a large luggage welcomed him outside the door. Kyungsoo had kicked him out and he was now roughing it. Sofa surfing. He was technically homeless, he realized.

 

Jongin was lying in the bath at his friend, Sehun's house, wondering how on earth this had got so out of control. He'd tried to call Luhan to explain himself because Kyungsoo won't answer him, but she didn't pick up or she blocked the call. Even Jongdae too. No one seemed to want to get involved.

 

Getting hold of Kyungsoo was impossible.

 

The situation looked so bad it made him panic even more. He can't blame her, he himself wasn't sure if he would believe her had the situation been reversed.

 

Jongin missed Kyungsoo deeply.

 

Sitting in the bath, he even missed the hot he used to have with his girlfriend in the tub, all squeaking arms and legs and violent slips. He missed lying in the bed with Kyungsoo and feeling her breath against his nose. He missed her soothing voice, singing in the shower. He missed it all.

 

"Are you alright there, Jongin?" came Sehun's voice through the bedroom door. "You've been in there for, like, an hour or something."

 

Jongin sat up with a start, the water lapping around him violently. He noticed it was nearly cold.

 

Sehun was a single man, his good friend from college . There was one problem, however. Sehun shared the house with his two sisters, and the last thing he needed right then was the probing and sad looks from a young ladies who probably secretly thought he was a douchebag, too.

 

"Yeah, sorry. I'm fine. I'll be down in a minute," Jongin said, stepping out of the bath. He eventually emerged, clean and dressed, plodding into the living room where Sehun had a drink waiting for him.   

 

"I've got to warn you by the way, the girls are having a night in tonight. They're inviting their friends, too," Sehun said, looking excited at the prospect.

 

"Are you kidding?" Jongin replied, grabbing a glass from the table.

 

"Nope," Sehun paused, looking hard at Jongin. "Jongin, I didn't mean to meddle in your relationship, but you do realize you're going to be asking a lot of  Kyungsoo for her to just go back to you now, don't you?" he said.

 

Jongin sighed. He'd been expecting this. "Yes, of course. And I'm feeling gutted about it. But it's like she'd blocked me out so I can't even explain myself. This just isn't Kyungsoo. We've always talked through everything," he said, desolately.

 

"Right, well, I'll pray for the best for both of you. Hope you can settle this soon," Sehun shrugged. He had done his bit, he reckoned. "By the way I'm going out for a takeaway, do you want some?"

 

"No let me get it for you guys, I need some fresh air too," Jongin offered. He grabbed his phone and headed out the door, quietly thankful for an escape.

 

As he walked down the long street that had lead to the Chinese takeaway, he wondered what Kyungsoo was doing that evening. Was she alone in bed, feeling sad and angry still? Was she at work, serving the coffee she loved so much?

 

Jongin placed an order and took a seat. He pulled his phone from his pocket and hovered his finger over the speed dial key number one he assigned for Kyungsoo. He loved her so much that her name almost burned his eyes. He couldn't lose her. It would be the end of him.

 

He'd been on the dating website to read the messages for titillation, really. Some of the ads had genuinely made him laugh. The site was free to use, so it wasn't costing him any money. He'd never replied. He'd never acted on any of it. Was that something that warranted the end of a content relationship?        

 

It was humiliating, too. He knew that many of his friends would probably jump to the same conclusions as Kyungsoo. He couldn't believe how stupid he'd been.

 

Jongin stared at her name on the screen for seconds, wondering what he was even going to say to her. He pressed the 'call' button and held the phone to his ear, dread filling his stomach in anticipation of what might he said.

 

But it turned out he wouldn't get any kind of reaction at all. The number was dead. Kyungsoo had disconnected her phone, moving on from him yet further by taking on another phone number.

 

Jongin came back to Sehun's to absolute chaos. It was a bad sign to him when he walked in at the front door and heard laughter. Not just one laugh, but variety of laughs. Female ones. High pitched shrieks, combined with giggles and wicked, loud cackles.

 

Jongin was terrified, suddenly missing home more than ever (and Kyungsoo).

 

Jongin needed to escape from that place. A moment or two later, he darted through the corridor and locked himself, pulling his phone out of his pocket. He went through to his contacts list and started with A to B. And...  C.

 

Chanyeol.

 

Yes, Chanyeol. Good old, dependable Chanyeol.

 

"Hello, Jongin. You all right?" Chanyeol answered his phone.

 

"Uhm, not really. Are you free tonight?"

 

"Ah, sorry. I'm taking Baekhyun to the airport," Chanyeol said, sounding apologetic.

 

"Oh, alright. No worries. Sorry to have bothered you," Jongin replied.

 

"Hold on a minute, Jongin. Sorry darling, just on the phone... to... er Jongin, actually..."

 

There was a pause and Jongin heard a crackling sound he could only assume was Chanyeol putting his hand over the microphone so he couldn't hear the next bit. But he did, unfortunately.

 

"That bastard? Tell him to off!" Jongin heard Baekhyun say, in the background.

 

"Look, sorry Jongin, gotta go," his friend said before hanging up abruptly.

 

Sighed, scrolling on, he got to J.

 

Junmyeon.

 

Junmyeon from college, he would probably be about. He always seemed to be at loose end. Jongin called him.

 

"Hello, hyung?"

 

"Hello. Damn, Jongin, you need to rescue me."

 

"Why?"

 

"Women, women everywhere."

 

"Wow. Lucky. Have fun, hyung."

 

"Like hell I won't. Wanna join us?"

 

"Nah I'm good. Just called to say hi," Jongin said before hanging up in frustration. 

 

K.

 

Kris. Kris from the first ever gallery where Jongin had exhibited his work. A fellow artist, definitely the most bizarre of all his friends. Jongin called him.

 

"Hello buddy. Sorry, Can't talk now, painting."  

 

"Oh, sorry. Go on," Jongin said, before pressing the red 'end call' button. He stared up at the ceiling in frustration.

 

Okay, he thought. I'm getting down to the reserves now.

 

T.

 

Tao. Another college friend. He was single but weird. And girly. Jongin knew he would be around. He called him.

 

"What's up?"

 

"Hello Tao, I have to be quick. What are you doing tonight?"

 

"Date, dude."

 

"What, a date date?"

 

"Yes, with an actual, real woman. A fit one, too."

 

", good luck," Jongin said before ending the call.

 

Y.

 

Yixing.

 

 

He was in serious relationship, or certainly had been the last time Jongin had spoken to him (which was years ago). As soon as Yixing answered his phone, Jongin's ears were welcomed by high pitched laughter. Maybe his prediction had been right.

 

"Er, hello?"

 

"Hi, Yixing. How are you? I know it's been a while..."

 

Laughter turned into crying. That of a small child.

 

Hold on a minute...

 

"Jongin, sorry. I'm kind of busy with the little one right now,"

 

"Little one?"

 

"Yeah, I had a baby. She's one tomorrow actually."

 

"ing hell, Yixing. Congratulations. So sorry we haven't spoken for so long, we must catch up soon. I'm gonna go, okay," Jongin said, reaching for the 'end call'.

 

Jongin turned to look at the window as the girls inside started to sing, badly, and he felt the lowest he had ever been. Frightened that what had happened had ruined his relationship. This was a rock bottom. His head was in a big fat mess and he needed to be away from there. 

 

He had no choice. Jongin walked quickly to his gallery and when he reached the studio, a small pile of cans by the door greeted him. Jongin shut the door behind him and threw off his jacket, switched on the lamps and sat down to work.  

 

It was then that the flash of inspiration hit him.

 

He had discussed themes for his next exhibition with other friends artists, and he had sketched out various ideas, but nothing had felt right for him. But there it was, right in front of him now. The thing he wanted the most.

 

Forgiveness.

 

What he really wanted the most was forgiveness from Kyungsoo. He knew he would never cheat on her, the prospect was impossible. Kyungsoo was his everything and he loved her with every fiber of his existence. But he had to accept that his curiosity had got him into this mess.

 

Kyungsoo wasn't taking his calls, so he had to catch her attention somehow.

 

He sketched, wrote and planned. It was all there, all the images and feelings and ideas. Jongin felt alive, as if he was about to burst with excitement over what he could create.

 

Jongin decided too, that it was the time to delete the online dating profile. It was long overdue, in fact. He logged into the account and deactivated it. Within seconds, an email appeared in his inbox.

 

'Your account has been successfully deleted'

 

He stared at the email and prayed that Kyungsoo would one day understand.

 

 

 


 

 

a/n: #PrayForMH370 ;;