Chapter 6

My boyfriend has a band
"I already told you, I.have.plans." I repeated for the nth time into my phone. Mingyu was trying to persuade me into going out with the boys and him on thursday and friday. He called me several times to ask the same thing despite me explaining that I had something on and honestly I was getting really annoyed. I pressed the "end call" button and sighed. Not long after, my phone start buzzing again. Pissed off, I switched it off and took a long nap after which I'd go to Soonyoung's shop to help out as usual. Ever since the day I started working in his shop, hanging out with him became a routine. I sometimes missed band practise but figured that the boys could do without me for a few sessions. 
 
-----
 
The morning after in school, I was at my locker, taking out books and notebooks when Ninth Line came over. 
 
"So, about this afternoon-" Jisoo started. 
 
But i cut him off, "I'm not free. You guys can do whatever it is you want to without me." 
 
"Heyy. C'mon. We're going ice skating, you love that!" Jihoon nudged me, winking. 
 
I shook my head ready to leave for class. Mingyu grabbed my wrist, spinning me to face him, "Please? Just once?" 
 
"A no is no, Mingyu," My patience was running out. 
 
"You're always going around with that damned soccer player. You barely talk to us anymore. Do we not mean anything to you anymore?" Mingyu's voice was strong at the start but his voice cracked at the last sentence. I looked at the boys, their faces all so sullen. I gulped. 
 
I shook my hand free and turned around, walking to my next class without ever looking back. 
 
-----
 
Lovely day was packed to it's full capacity. There were many couples and people in their early twenties but the cafe was mostly filled with teenage Ninth Line fangirls. The band was standing on stage, getting ready to start their performance. I was there because I thought about what they'd said to me and felt really bad. I decided that at least turning up to supprt them could show them that I did care. 
 
Jisoo grabbed the mic causing it to screech and everyone covered their ears. 
 
"Sorry 'bout that," He apologised before continuing, "Today, we'll be starting with Do You? So get ready to rock!" He shouted before getting ready. I pushed my way to the front, getting shoved in the face with elbows and bags but it was worth it. I hollered and clapped loudly before they began to play. I could have sworn that I saw Jisoo flash me a small smile. 
 
The band was amazing. Jisoo's strong vocals accompanied by Jihoon's steady ones made the performance hot. The drums made loud beats that shook the ground while the guitars harmonized perfectly. Just one line into the song and the crowd was already singing along while jumping up and down. I joined in on the fun and punched the air. 
 
The songs passed by fast and soon they'd come to their ending song, Take Care. It was about someone going far away and expressed the sad and longing feeling of the writer. It was a really heartfelt song. Towards the middle, Jisoo's voice cracked and a tear fell down his face. He let it flow down. My face fell. What was going on? 
 
"Don't cry!" I whisper-shouted just loud enough for him to hear me. He smiled a sad smile. Mingyu banged on his drums gingerly and had this really sad look on his face similar to the one he had when he came over that night. Jihoon and Mingming's lips were pursed into a thin line, faces distorted, willing themselves not to cry. My head was spinning. Was this an act? The song came to an end and Mingyu spoke the words I never wanted to hear. Ever. 
 
"This is our band mate Jisoo's last performance with us. On Sunday, he'll be moving back to California. We're all gonna miss him loads," Mingyu started but ended abruptly, unable to go on because the crowd was aww-ing and shouting out words of comfort for the band members. My head fell, my shoulders shook and I started tearing up. I wiped my tears with the back of my hands but they wouldn't stop. I felt a hand touch my shoulder. I looked up to see Mingyu. He reached out his hand, pulling me up to the stage. I just stood there in the middle of the stage, crying. Mingyu came over and wrapped his arms around me, my hair. The other members of Ninth Line joined in on this group hug. They had forgiven me that easily. I felt like a jerk.  
 
-----
 
I put on my jeans, wiping tears that fell. I wore my hoodie and then went out my house, waiting for Jisoo's car. Today was the day he and his family would go off. I wanted to send him off at the airport even though I knew I wouldn't be able to stand it. I had suggested going out on Saturday but Jisoo needed to pack. I was guilty to the core. 
 
His black mini van pulled up and I got in the passenger seat. I found myself sitting beside Jihoon and I greeted him. Jisoo waved to me from the front through the rear mirror. His mother was driving as his father had already reached the airport early in a taxi to check in the luggages so that the car could fit Ninth Line and me. Beside Jihoon, Mingming was sniffling and blew his nose into a tissue. He was the newest addition to our group but he gets attached to people easily. He was the strongest at handling this piece of news but I guess he broke down in the car. Jihoon patted his back soothingly. Mingyu was at the back of the van because the first time we took the van, he demanded to have space to stretch his long legs so he got the backseat all to himself. No one spoke throughout the drive. I just stared out the window, watching the scenery go past, recalling all the things Jisoo and I had been through. 
 
We soon reached the airport and Jisoo had 30 minutes left before he had to board the plane. We decided to sit at the lounge outside the departure gate and play a game of monopoly deal while his mother went to Duty Free. 
 
"Your turn, Jihoon," Mingming mumbled as he picked up another card. 
 
Jihoon rolled the dice and drew out a card. We had been playing for 10 minutes long and the game was going no where. 
 
"You know what, let's just stop," I threw down my cards and sat back. 
 
"Took the words out of my mouth," Mingyu pointed at me. Jisoo nodded and began keeping the cards. 
 
"What to do now?" Mingming asked. I scanned the departure hall, looking for stuff we could do together. Then, my eyes landed on a photobooth. A smile played on my lips. 
 
"Get up, get up! Quick," I pulled them all up and ran towards the Photo Booth, gesturing excitedly at it. The boys ran towards me, Jisoo pushing the others back as they did, trying to reach the photobooth first. I'm gonna miss you lots, Jisoo. I thought. 
 
I inserted $5 into the machine and we all tried squeezing into the picture. The first shot had all of us doing goofy faces, the second one had a really close up of Jihoon's face because he got shoved into the camera and a little of Jisoo's shocked expression because he had been the one who accidentally pushed him forwards. The third one was the only proper shot we had of us. Mingming bending down in front together with the shortie, Jihoon. I had my arms around Mingyu and Jisoo as all of us smiled widely for the camera. The fourth shot was a mess too, it consisted of Jihoon making a face and all of us laughing and shoving each other. I had pushed Jisoo out of the camera so only half his face was shown. Mingming had lost balance and fell, causing the camera to only capture his black hair. I was laughing so hard at Jihoon's face and Mingyu was captured smiling in my direction. We printed out 5 sets of these 4 photos, one set for each of us. 
 
Soon, it was goodbye. We all stood outside the departure gate as we all stood in a line, saying our farewells. Jisoo approached Jihoon first and said jokingly, "You better take care, shortie. Practise your video gaming skills and we can battle it out another time, okay?" Jihoon smiled and his eyes turned glassy. Jisoo held his hand out for a shake but Jihoon just went in and hugged him tightly. Jisoo went on to Mingming, "I've grown to love you in the short time we spent together, stay safe buddy," He ruffled Mingming's hair. He turned to Mingyu, "You are one special kid. Use your abilities well, mate. I'm gonna miss spending time with my best friend." Mingyu hugged Jisoo and Jisoo whispered just enough for only Mingyu to hear, "Take good care of her for me too, will ya?" Mingyu saluted him. Lastly, Jisoo stood in front of me, "Hi, love. I've got what I wanna say written in here so just read it." He handed me an envelope. I looked up at him and I started to tear up. I hugged him tightly, I didn't want to let go. He gently unwrapped my arms from his neck and said to me, "I'm the only person allowed to break your heart, got it?" I nodded slowly, not understanding what he just said but I was too sad to think. 
 
We watched as he waved back at us while he walked through the gates. The 4 of us left stood together, holding hands. We watched as his smiling figure became smaller and smaller and then disappearing. 
 
-------
 
After I got home, I placed his letter on the table. I didn't want to open it for fear that I might tear up again. I left it there untouched until the next morning. I woke up all cheery but then I remembered and I became sad again. I sat at my desk, staring at his neat script on the envelope. It read: To my dearest Minji 
 
I took a deep breath before carefully opening the envelope: 
 
Hi. I'm probably already halfway to California when you read this. Firstly, I'm sorry for not telling you sooner that I was leaving, I had planned to but you were always so busy. Secondly, I felt that I owe you an explanation. The explanation I've been in debt to you since that November. The truth is, Minji, is that I still like you a lot. I never stopped liking you. You're amazing, remember that. That day when I ended our relationship, I had found out that I'd soon be moving back to Cali. I knew it'd be difficult to let you go when it was time so I broke it off. I'm sorry for hurting you, I know how painful it was. But you managed to move on didn't you? I hope you can do the same when I'm not around anymore. I want you to be happy. I'm going to start a new life in a new place but I'll never forget you, Jeong Minji.