Chapter 13

My boyfriend has a band
"Stupid, stupid, stupid," Minji kicked the pebbles on the road. Why didn't she think before saying those things? She groaned, looking up at the sky. Why did things always get better but become worse after that? 
 
She looked down at the flowers in her hand.
 
"Mom can wait," Minji thought out loud. She needed time to herself, time to collect her thoughts. Just when she was about to shout about her misery, she heard a delicate voice call out for her. 
 
Minji turned around and came face to face with Jieun, Wonwoo's girlfriend. She waved cheerfully to Minji and Minji returned the gesture, her smile not quite reaching her eyes. Jieun noticed this and she frowned. She placed her hands on Minji's shoulders, much to Minji's shock, and asked, "What's wrong, kid? Is it…?" 
 
Minji sighed and nodded, "That and something else," 
 
Jieun shook her head. Sad was not in her dictionary. She pushed Minji to sit on the bench and said, "I don't know what's bothering you but you need some serious happy virus. That, I can spread to you," Jieun smiled, her eyes forming crescents. Her caramel locks fell down in light curls and her fair skin radiated under the sun.  She had dark brown, almost black, doe eyes and a sharp nose. Under the bright sun, Jieun looked brighter and Minji understood what Wonwoo saw in her. 
 
"How?" Minji asked, genuinely curious. Jieun seemed like a nice girl and she didn't have many close girlfriends so Minji wanted to try spending some time with her. 
 
"How about we go to Hongdae?" Jieun shot up at her brilliant idea. She got out her phone and started texting someone. 
 
"Is Wonwoo coming along because I don't wanna be that awkward thirdwheel," Minji laughed, already getting in the spirit. 
 
Jieun bit her lip, a little guilty, "Yeah.. about that… WAIT! I can call Jinah to come along if that's okay with you?" 
 
Minji nodded. Jinah was her Biology partner. Jinah's personality was different from Jieun's. For one, she was loud and outgoing. She was the first to make friends with everyone in the class. Her crazy could even radiate when dissecting frogs. Jinah was also taller and her dressing leaned more to the casual side whereas Jieun liked girly dressing. 
 
Jieun held up an okay sign and fished out her phone. She dialled Jinah's number and waited. After a while, she sat up straight and said, "Yah, get your lazy up and change. We're going to Hongdae…. No not birthday. HONGDAE… Yes… Minji's here too...The one from your Bio class… Ok… Bye," Jieun clicked the hang up button and shook her head, "Jinah always has a lot to say," Minji laughed. She was already starting to like the two. 
 
"She told us to fetch her at her neighbourhood so should we get going?" Jieun stood up and brushed her skirt. She had on a light green knit pullover with a white collared blouse inside and a short white skirt. To top off her look, she wore white socks and white platform sneakers. I looked down at my choice of outfit, a plain white shirt and skinny jeans with my red converse. Wow. 
 
Jieun seemed to notice and patted my back, "It's okay. You look great," This girl is so nice it hurts. We walked side by side in silence to ther car park where apparently Wonwoo would be waiting. 
 
The walk was silent but comfortable, both of them lost in our own thoughts. Soon, we spotted Wonwoo leaning on his brown, beat-up looking car. He had on his shades and looked around, probably searching for his girlfriend. He took off his snapback, adjusted his hair and put it back on. As soon as he spotted us, he waved, a smile forming on his face. 
 
"Hey," Jieun greeted as we approached him. He bent down and kissed her head. He was dressed in a brown pullover also with a white collared shirt inside and jeans. I wondered if they had planned the matching outfit. She hugged him and I stood at the side already feeling the awkwardness to come. I tried holding in my laughter. 
 
"Hey there, Minji!" Wonwoo chirped. I gave him a tiny wave. He got out his keys and opened the door to the car. I got in the backseat and Jieun got in at the front. Of course. 
 
The car was old looking on the outside but looked good as new on the inside. The leather seats were soft and the air of the car smelt like fresh pine trees. Wonwoo started driving and the couple resumed their usual talk. They were so cute it was like seeing your favourite Princess and Prince get together. Jieun clicked on the radio stations playing happy pop songs and then Wonwoo changed it to sad R&B. The cycle repeated itself until Wonwoo gave up and sat in silence listening to some girl sing a song about true love. Jieun got out a packet of Doritos and ate them so cleanly and lady-like I could cry. She fed Wonwoo some and my heart dropped, remembering Soonyoung and his stupid packet of Doritos. 
 
I looked down at my phone trying to distract myself. I sent a text to Mingyu:
 
Minji at 3:10pm: 
I'm sorry, Mingyu. :( 
 
I looked out the window at the familiar neighbourhood. It was the neighbourhood where Mingyu and my kindergarten was at. It didn't change one bit. I smiled. My phone beeped and blinked. 
 
Gyu at 3:11pm: 
It's okay. Did you get home safely? 
 
I looked down at the sunflowers on my lap. Sometimes, people would choose sunflowers over roses.
 
Minji at 3:13pm:
Sorry and yes. :( 
 
Gyu at 3:13pm: 
:) 
 
 
"Oh, god. Is she still taking care of that dog?" Jieun looked out the window and tsked. 
 
I followed her gaze and saw Jinah bending down feeding a big golden retriever. It was Leo! The dog had been there since I was young and it sure did grow. Leo was adopted by my kindergarten when he was so very tiny and young. Everyday, we all had to take turns to feed it and brush it. But all the kids didn't like Leo. To put it simply, Leo wasn't friendly. He'd bark and stare at you if you came close to him so you had to put his food down and let him get it by himself. Kids thought he was scary, especially Mingyu. The boy ran so far away when Leo barked at him for touching his fur. And ever since, he resented that canine. I still laugh at that memory. 
 
Jinah, however, didn't seem to be having a hard time with Leo. She patted him and smoothed his fur without him freaking out. Instead, Leo lay down, looking happy. She fed him some dog food from a bag before scratching his ear. 
 
Wonwoo pressed the car horn. Jinah, stood up, startled. She looked back and cursed at Wonwoo before bending down to   tickle Leo. She then got back up and walked away, waving at the dog. Jinah had on a baseball shirt and ripped denim shorts that showed off her long, thin legs. She also had on a beanie and low cut Vans. She swaggered towards us and opened the door to the back seat. She got in and turned to look at me, "Oh my gosh. HI!!!" 
 
"Hello," I smiled at her. She smiled too and shoved her face in between the front seats, "Sup losers," 
 
"Rude," Wonwoo pushed her face away and Jieun laughed, hitting her boyfriend. 
 
"What are you doing with that dog. No one likes it. Everyone's afraid of it," Jieun turned to look at Jinah who was adjusting her shorts so openly. 
 
Jinah looked up and waved her away, "He has a name. His name is-" 
 
"Leo," Minji blurted. Everyone turned to look at her.
 
"I had to take care of him during kindergarten. Long story. But he's really scary," Minji shrugged. 
 
"I know. I don't know why Jinah keeps looking after it. No one even dares to go near because of rabies or something," Jieun looked at the rearview mirror and applied some lipgloss. 
 
"Hey, hey, hey. Leo is lovely and he deserves to be here and taken care of just like everyone else," Jinah pointed out, "Anyway, we're going to Hongdae?! I'm so excited!!! There's that monthly sale today and I heard that bitc-" 
 
Jieun glared at her, "Mind your language," 
 
"Sorry. I mean, that female jerk, Jungah, is going to be there for the big sale. Like i'm so ready to squash her to pieces if she touches my Hood by Air shirt," Jinah made her hand into a fist and punched the back of Wonwoo's seat multiple times. 
 
"Watch it," Wonwoo turned and glared at her. Jinah raised her hands in surrender. 
 
The remaining car ride consisted of Minji eating the remaining Doritos sadly, the couple up front chatting about school and Jinah singing out of tune along to the pop songs playing. 
 
------
 
Hongdae was packed, as expected. Teenagers dressed to impress roamed the streets, shopping bags and street food in hand. Minji had never been to Hongdae that often so she just followed Jinah, a Hongdae enthusiast's, lead. Wonwoo and Jieun had left to get some Hokkaido Icecream so Minji was left with Jinah. She dragged her around the place, street to street, shop to shop. Minji swore that even in PE, she didn't move that much. 
 
Jinah went into shops and tried on stuff before deciding that the clothes were either too ugly or too expensive. By the third shop, Minji was already so worn out. But shopping with Jinah did have it's perks. She knew all the latest trends and her style wasn't bad. She made Minji try on some outfits and the two had a mini runway show outside the large fitting rooms of the shops. Minji ended up buying some cute shirts and shorts to match them. The two also took many pictures of them dressed in ridiculous, over-the-top outfits, a smile not leaving their faces. 
 
"Phew, I'm so tired," Jinah dragged Minji down to sit on one of the benches on the street. 
 
Jinah suddenly shot up, "Want some patbingsu? I know a shop…" Minji smiled a devilish smile and Jinah wriggled her eyebrows. Without a word, they both got up and ran to the famous dessert shop down the road. 
 
"Damn, I'm doing so much more exercise here than in PE classes," Jinah huffed and coughed. 
 
Minji nodded vigorously, "I know right," 
 
They gave the lady at the cashier took their order and they both found a seat. 
 
As they sat down, Minji felt her phone vibrate. She took it out and it said "1 Message from Soonyoung" She swallowed and locked her phone, putting it back in her bag. The colour on her face draining. 
 
Minji played with her fingers as Jinah took out her wallet counting her money. 
 
"Merry Christmas to me. I have enough for a full shopping spring. Minji, I can get you some stuff too," Jinah exclaimed as she looked up from the cash. Her smile slowly faded when she saw the look on Minji's face. 
 
"Did I do something wrong? What's bothering you, girl?" Jinah patted Minji's cheeks lightly. The patbingsu arrived too and they both dug in. 
 
"No, it's not you," Minji swallowed a mouthful of delicious ice. Jinah raised a brow, waiting for an answer. 
 
"Did Jieun tell you? About the-" 
 
"OH OH OH THE ONE WITH THAT SOCCER GUY. WONWOO AND JIEUN WERE TALLKING ABOUT-" Jinah shouted a little too loudly, earning stares from the other customers. 
 
"SHHHH," Minji cupped and sat her back down, "And yes the one with that soccer guy. I saw him in the morning and I ran away. Now, he just texted me," Minji spilled everything out. At hard times, she would bottle up everything and eventually that everything would erupt. Now, it seemed to erupt infront of Jinah.
 
"Have you read it?" Jinah took a bite. Minji shook her head, no. 
 
Minji expected Jinah to say other cliche comforting things that girls would do but she didnt, "SO READ IT NOW," 
 
"What?!" 
 
Quickly, Jinah leaned forward and grabbed Minji's bag, taking out her phone, "Password?" 
 
"Why would I give you my-" 
 
"Password," Jinah said sternly. 
 
"Fine. It's 0625. Rain's birthday," 
 
Jinah swiftly unlocked the phone and clicked on the message. She read it and tilted her head to the side, eye brows furrowing. 
 
"What what what?" Minji leaned forward. 
 
"I don't know. It's just some random numbers??" Jinah turned the phone screen to my direction and shook it. 
 
"Hold still, I can't read it," Minji grabbed her hand. 
 
Soonyoung at 5:17pm: 
 
9-20   23-1-19   2   13-9-19-21-14-4-5-18-19-20-1-14-4-9-14-7
 
Minji stared at it, bumfuzzled. She scrolled down looking for a hint or something but nothing. She had no idea how to reply to that. 
 
"What does it say?" Jinah looked at it another time. 
 
Minji shrugged, "You know what. It's okay, I have a reason to not reply him and that is 1. I'm still mad at him 2. I have no idea whatever she's saying," 
 
~
 
At 7pm sharp, Jinah and I stood outside this huge shop where the sale was going to take place in. We both managed to squeeze to the front of the crowd and could easily enter once the door opened. Jinah was already telling Minji about her combat strategy, about how Minji has to tackle the accessories while she goes to war in the clothing section. Minji agreed. 
 
As soon as the glass doors opened, the crowd pushed itself in. The shop was in chaos. Girls grabbing everything they saw, tugging on pieces of clothing even the underwear. Minji scrambled to the accessory section, grabbing all the fashion socks under the rack. They were going at 1 for a dollar after all. She also grabbed some arm candy on the way to the graphic tee section. She immediatelety saw Jinah, arms full of clothes, pulling at one end of the Hood by Air shirt she was talking about in the car. And sure enough, on the other end was Jungah. Her face was caked with makeup and Minji gagged at the ugly sight. 
 
"Since when did you like this style of clothing?" Jinah shouted at Jungah. 
 
"Since I turned hipster??" Jungah screamed, matter-of-factly. That girl was dumb as heck. 
 
Minji ran towards the on going battle and pulled too. Jungah noticed her and stopped pulling sending Jinah flying backwards to a stack of disney underwear. Jungah held the shirt in her hands, grinning. 
 
Jungah brushed her hair out of her face before folding her hands to her chest, "You," 
 
Minji did the same and tapped her foot, socks in basket she grabbed on the way there, "What about me?" 
 
"You like Soonyoung right?" 
 
Minji didn't say anything. 
 
Jungah scoffed and grinned, "Too bad that I like him. You're not even competition" She looked Minji up and down. Minji could feel herself shrinking under her gaze. She knew she couldn't compare to Jungah's fit and curvy body but she didnt have to rub that in her face. 
 
"Too bad that he already likes her. You're not even competition," Jinah appeared from behind them and imitated Jungah's nasally voice. She stomped forward, grabbed the shirt from Jungah's hands and tugged at Minji's wrist, pulling her to the cashier. 
 
Jinah took out her wallet and paid for their loot. She held out a pullover over Minji and smiled, clapping at her choice. 
Minji still didn't feel too good, though. Jinah held Minji's hand as they left the shop, skipping happily. 
 
"Chin up, buttercup." Jinah lifted Minji's head. Minji smiled. She was glad to have met Jinah.