Chapter 3

My boyfriend has a band
"I do, I do wanna spend my life with you, I dream “I do” swear these precious words to you~" I hummed along to the tune of my favorite singer, Rain while scrolling through my phone's gallery gawking at pictures of Rain. 
 
"Can you please go away, I'm trying to focus here," Mingyu frowned at the music sheet spread infront of him. He couldn't think of inspiration during the friday sleepover session that day and so now he was rushing to finish up the basic beat of Ninth Line's new song. We were in class, waiting for Ms Han to arrive. 
 
Mingyu had managed to squeeze his onto half of my chair and was sitting (very) close to me at the moment. I had no choice but to lean in slightly to Soonyoung who was beside me and when I did, i swear I saw a smile forming on his face. He quickly bent his head down though. 
 
"Excuse me. This is my seat, why don't you go away," I  tried pushing him out of my chair but he wouldn't budge. 
 
"Prove it. I don't see your name on it," He said flatly without looking up. 
 
I rolled my eyes, zooming in to the picture of Rain's abs, a smile fighting it's way onto my lips. 
 
"Do girls really do that . " Mingyu stared at my phone in disgust. 
 
"Yes. But only not to you," I looked him up and down, judgingly. 
 
Ms Han walked into class and called for our attention. Mingyu stood up and with two big strides, reached his desk and plopped himself down. Soonyoung moved his notebook slightly towards my side of the table, opening it to a fresh new page. I looked at him and he placed a pencil in between the pages. 
 
Time to start on my art work again.
 
------
 
"So can we meet up tomorrow?" I asked Soonyoung. We wanted to start on our Music pieces asap. 
 
"Soccer training," Soonyoung pointed out. 
 
"Um. This thursday after school? Thursdays are early dismissal days," I tried again. 
 
He shook his head, "Got plans." 
 
I pursed my lips, thinking. 
 
"How about this Friday at, maybe, 5?" Soonyoung said as he started packing his things neatly into his bag. 
 
" Can't I've got something up." 
 
He frowned then thought for a while, "How about we meet this Wednesday at 4? But you'll have to wait till i finish my soccer practice," 
 
Wednesdays were my only free day to study but since we were both busy on the other days I had no choice but to comply. Wednesday it was. And besides, i thought, I can always catch up on algebra during his trainings. 
 
------
 
"GO SOONYOUNG!!!" Another shriek erupted from this group of girls sitting on the front row of the bleachers. 
 
"Omg, Seokmin is like so hot, I can't," Another one started hyperventilating. 
 
"What if Wonwoo noticed me omg look he looked at me," Another fanned herself. 
 
Geez, what is up with you people. I thought as i tried hard to block them fangirls out and focus on the set of math problems on my lap, "if y equals to 5 then x equals to- " 
 
"HOLY ." I jumped as I felt my sides being pinched. My arms flailed around, hitting down my guitar, which was standing beside me, causing a loud bang. Everyone in the field turned to look at me, including some of the soccer players. I whipped my head back only to find an amused Mingyu, laughing. 
 
"Why are you here?" He sat down beside me, "Are you looking for hot soccer boys because I think number 10 is cute," He nodded toward the players practising their drills. I searched for number 10. It was that guy Jeon Wonwoo. I snorted. 
 
"Well better make your move on him quick because that girl in the pink sports bra has her eyes on him too," I pointed toward the girl that was heavily breathing just now. This time she was holding up a heart shape in Wonwoo's direction. Wonwoo noticed her and stared weirdly at her. She went mad. Mingyu laughed and shook his head. 
 
Mingyu peered at the worksheet in my hands and said, "Easy. X equals to 10," I stared blankly at him. 
 
"Oh, Jeong Minji," He started before patiently explaining the whole topic to me from the basics to the advanced levels. 
 
Mingyu has a brilliant brain. (Hard to believe right?) Although he may not look like it, he excels in almost everything. He's that kid who was unaware of test dates but still aced the tests, scoring higher than you who worked hard. He's the kid who memorises math formulas and facts as if they were as easy as the alphabet. He was good at everything, especially trivia. 
 
On bus rides home I'd ask him questions from my literature book like, "Who wrote: "Bring me my bow of burning gold: Bring me my arrows of desire…?" 
 
He'd look me in the eyes and say, "William Blake. Duh. He was a poet, painter and mystic." 
 
When we were writing song lyrics together I'd randomly ask him, "What's the Empire City?" 
 
"New York," He'd mumble, scribbling musical notes down. 
 
Anyway, Mingyu had accompanied me throughout the whole soccer practise that day, annoying me and teaching me math. He had to go earlier than when Soonyoung ended, though. I pouted, tugging his sleeve, wanting him to sit back down. I didn't want to look like a loner. I was Jeong Minji, friendliest student, soon-to-be student president. 
 
"I really gotta go. Jisoo's waiting for me at the bus stop and you know how much he hates waiting," He got up, dusted his black skinny jeans and left. 
 
It was true, Jisoo hated waiting. During the 1 year I dated him, as long as you were late by a few minutes, you'd have to pay the severe punishments. These punishments included tickle fights and piggyback rides where he'd spin you round and round until you wanted to puke. He'd put you down then and ask if you were okay and that he was sorry. 
 
"Yo Minji!" Someone shouted from the field. I scanned the field looking for the source of that voice. It was none other than Lee Seokmin. He was prancing around Soonyoung while he pointed at me. Dongjin and Chan joined in, nudging their senior as if they were the same age. Seungcheol winked at him. Doyoon and Hansol made kissy faces. Soonyoung made a face, and a cross with his hands, mouthing something to me. 
 
What in the world. 
 
Seriously. This is our soccer team? The team that girls drool about? I couldn't help but laugh. 
 
-------
 
"Sorry for the long wait. Practise ended later than usual." Soonyoung ruffled his wet hair with a towel. He had just rushed out of the showers and smelt like soap. 
 
"Nah, it's okay. I was studying anyway," I waved him away, "Let's start shall we?" I already had my music notebook and pencil case out. 
 
He nodded and poured out the contents of his bag. He picked out sheets of paper and a pen before carefully placing the other stuff back into his bag one by one. 
 
"What's all this?" I inquired as I went through the stack of papers all filled with neat writing. 
 
"I kind of, um, thought that, um," He cleared his throat, "I thought of lyric ideas," I raised my eyebrows, impressed. 
 
"I mean we can not use them but these are my ideas," He fiddled with his pen.
 
A particular song caught my eye. I set the other sheets of paper on the ground and read through. He took them and filed them into a file labelled "Music".
 
The song was titled Clueless. It talked about the youths struggling with social problems like drugs and stuff so i found it interesting. I decided that I liked that one since it was unique and because of the fact that half the class were already doing sappy love songs. 
 
"This. Let's go with this," I glanced at Soonyoung. His face lit up and he smiled, proud with himself. 
 
"But we have a problem. I can't sing," I said, a little embarassed. 
 
"That's okay. I'll do the singing. You can play the guitar, right?" Soonyoung shrugged and then asked while pointing to my guitar case. 
 
Wait. The star soccer player can… sing? Maybe the rumours were true. 
 
"Yeah sure. Could you please sing the song now? I'll try looking for the chords to suit it," I placed my guitar on my lap. 
 
He looked at me with a nervous smile, then cleared his throat. He started singing and I was taken aback. His voice was unique. I felt like I was watching Jisoo sing again, back then when I had first met him, except Soonyoung's voice was far more soothing. I didn't know I was staring until he stopped mid-lyrics and asked if it sounded bad. 
 
"No, No. Um, continue, please." This time I tried concentrating on my chords, and wrote down the final chords I decided on. 
 
He sang again and I found myself, yet again, entranced.