Commiserations

Hearts: Chase the Lady (On Hiatus)

Word Count: ~ 1 k

 

The four of them slipped out of their classrooms during lunch break to convene and complain about their horrid morning classes.

“I forgot my name,” Sehun all but cried.

“Really? You forgot your own name?” Jongdae laughed, eyes turning into crescents and grin stretching wide across his face.

“I’m not used to it,” he replied pouting. “I just got it like last week. It’s not what my parents call me,” he complained.

“That sounds like a riot,” Jongdae managed to choke out between laughs.

“At least I wasn’t the only one who forgot his name. There was this kid in the front of the room who forgot his name. It was kind of funny actually, almost endearing.” Jongdae had just calmed down when he burst into a new fit of laughter.

“Are you interested in him?”

“No! He’s a dude! I’m a dude!” Sehun protested.

“That doesn’t mean anything,” Luhan hummed. Jongdae turned to the other boy, looking somewhere between devious and surprised.

“Did you meet a special someone?” he mused.

“No!” he responded defensively.

“Ohoho! So it isn’t just our little brother who is in love?”

“Shut up!” Luhan grumbled, turning a violent shade of red.

“Who said I was your little brother?” Sehun complained. No one paid him any attention.

“Anyone else find little crushes?”

“No so just shut up. And he isn’t even a crush!” Luhan returned.

“Well what else happened in everyone’s mornings?”

“I met this really nice girl who actually looks kind of like you Huanyue,” Sehun said, turning to Luhan. “She kind of resembles a deer.” She grinned deviously.

“I do not look like Bambi,” Luhan grumbled.

“I never said you looked like a deer, you just jumped to that conclusion,” he chuckled.

“I hate you all,” Luhan cried miserably.

“Baekhee, you seem to be awfully quiet. Did something happen to you this morning?” Jongdae asked as if nothing had happened.

“Everyone in my class was acting weirdly toward me. The guys were staring and the girls were glaring. There was also this kind of creepy guy who wouldn’t stop staring,” Baekhyun replied quietly. “But I guess I did make one friend. Her name is Yoonjo.”

“Ooh! Is she cute?” Jongdae prodded Baekhyun in the side. “Do you like her?”

“She wouldn’t go for me...” Baekhyun replied.

“So Baekhee has a crush?” Jongdae’s eyes shone with a devilish glee.

“No, and Yoonjo already has an admirer. His name is Hwang Minhyun. And he’s actually a he.”

“You’re a he too,” Luhan pointed out.

“Yeah, but not at school I’m not,” Baekhyun replied miserably. “And I’m not going to be a he for another two months! Godamnit why did I take that stupid bet? Jongdae you’re a jerk,” he all but cried.

Jongdae rolled his eyes. “Stop being so melodramatic,” he grumbled. “There are other fish in the sea. And who knows? She might not be interested in this Minhyun guy. Once you’re back to being a guy, you can just come back in being a guy and sweep her off her feet.” He paused. “And that’s Jinae to you ma’am!”

“Jinae, Jongdae, whatever. Close enough,” Baekhyun grumbled. “So did the great and beautiful and wonderful Jinae have no troubles this morning?”

“Nope. I even made a friend. She’s a cutie by the name of Lee Yooyoung. We’re going to eat lunch together tomorrow. You’ll have to text me if you want to complain about school,” he stated.

“But you’ll just ignore us,” Luhan pointed out.

“Yep.”

“Then why bother?” Sehun asked.

“It’s always entertaining to read Baek’s frustrated texts,” Jongdae replied simply.

“Love you too,” Baekhyun grumbled in reply.

“Well Jinae is the only one who had a normal morning,” Luhan commented.

“What happened to Huanyue?” Jongdae asked.

“I embarrassed myself in front of the whole class,” he whined. “Mr. Lee is crazy and eccentric. He made us give little self-introductions and I butchered mine.”

“Oh come on. It can’t have been as bad as you say,” Baekhyun tried to reassure him.

“I almost forgot how to speak Korean!”

“Uh... That is actually pretty bad,” Sehun commented.

“See!? I don’t want to go back in there ever again!”

“There there. You’ve only got about three months left of this,” Baekhyun pointed out.

“Yeah. I’ve got to suffer through three more months of being the laughing stock of the class.”

“I’m sure that it wasn’t as bad as you made it out to be.” Baekhyun patted Luhan’s back.

“Well, I guess I did make a friend...” he admitted. “Her name is Hyelim but she likes to be called Lime.”

“See? The morning wasn’t totally horrible,” Jongdae replied brightly.

“You had a flawless morning. Go away so we can commiserate about our terrible mornings,” Sehun grumbled.

“Wow. Such hostility,” he gasped, feigning insult.

“Yeah, whatever,” Luhan replied. “Go run along and play with Yooyoung while we deal with our problems.”

Jongdae pursed his lips. “I can’t abandon my best girls at a time like this,” he replied innocently. His reply was three glowers. “Fine. I can sense when I’m not wanted,” he cried melodramatically. Baekhyun lifted his eyebrows, Sehun rolled his eyes, and Luhan just looked at him. Jongdae threw a devious grin at the three before scampering back to his classroom.

“On the bright side,” Baekhyun began. “It can’t really get any worse from here.” The other two looked stunned at his optimism. “We all have friends and reasonable classes.”

“Except for yours, where you’re getting glares and stares,” Sehun commented.

“At least I have a friend even if my class is less than optimal. I think I can survive the time we’re stuck like this. Jongdae has obviously adjusted very well.”

“I don’t know if I can go back into that room with Minseok,” Luhan worried.

“It’s okay. I don’t think that he thinks you're an idiot, just nervous. Not all of these people are Jongdae,” Baekhyun consoled.

“I suppose so.” Luhan puffed his cheeks out.

“And at least you didn’t forget your own name.”

“It’s not my name!” Sehun exclaimed.

“It is now.” 

 

A/N: Hello! I'm back from the dead, possibly. I've actually had this chapter here for a while but haven't had the time to post it. Thank you for your patience and I hope you enjoy the chapter despite its brevity. For those who do not know what commiseration is, the definiton is roughly to empathize, sypathize, or pity.