Almost Ready

Hearts: Chase the Lady (On Hiatus)

Word Count: ~1.4 k

 

They all went over to Luhan’s spacious yet empty house to test run of getting ready for school, which was starting in two days. For some reason, they were always impressed by the small mansion of a house that Luhan’s family owned, especially because it was either empty or hosting some sort of dinner or party. All three floors were either empty or occupied. His parents were in business and often travelled abroad. At this time, Luhan was the sole occupant of the house.

The other three arrived with their various clothes and makeup supplies in bags. Registration was a success and they had acquired their school uniforms, which looked less than comfortable. The daunting article of clothing was the skirt; it just felt so exposing.

“Ugh! It feels so tight down there, I don’t think I’ll make it through the first day,” Jongdae complained melodramatically, referring to the constricting underpants.

“You think you’ve got problems,” Sehun grumbled.

“You’re the one who decided that this would be a good idea,” Luhan pointed out, masking his own discomfort. This prolonged trauma would probably be detrimental to any future development.

It must to be you guys,” Baekhyun teased half-heartedly as he pulled on the navy plaid skirt. “At least I’ve only got two months of suffering.” He felt so exposed with half of his thigh exposed due to the short skirt.

“That’s still two months of this,” Sehun replied, pulling on the bra. They must have looked absolutely ridiculous: four high school boys getting into the girls’ uniforms as they exchanged strange banter. The skirt looked much sillier on Sehun than on any of the others because of his disproportionately long and skinny legs.

To do their makeup, they left off the knee-high socks, the shoes, and the navy cardigan. They were wearing their skirts and white collared-shirts.

Baekhyun only took forty-five minutes to apply all of his makeup and it looked almost like the way Amber did it, although perhaps a little messier. The rest of the guys were having a much more difficult time with it, especially Jongdae because he didn’t know how to contour his face properly, Sehun had smudged the eyeliner around his left eye, and Luhan was applying the wrong shade of eyeshadow. Baekhyun rolled his eyes and looked the part of the sassy high school girl.

“How the hell did you do it so well?!” Sehun looked over at the finished Baekhyun.

“No reason,” Baekhyun mumbled, face flushing bright red.

“Do you do this often?” Luhan asked.

“No! It was my sister! She put makeup on me when I was little and taught me how to do it, but that was before I realised that other boys didn’t do that... Luckily I was still like eight and she never took me out in public looking like that.”

“That’s rough,” Sehun commented.

“Wait, so does that mean that you can do makeup properly?” Jongdae asked.

“Kind of.”

“Please help me.” Jongdae pouted at Baekhyun, who rolled his eyes again.

‘Sure fine,” Baekhyun grumbled. “And Sehun, you’ve got a smudge by your left eye. Luhan, you want a different shade for your eyes, that’s for your cheeks.”

“Are you gay?” Jongdae asked totally insensitively.

“No! Just because I know how to apply makeup does not mean that I’m gay,” he replied defensively.

“Are you sure?”

“Do you want me to help you with this or not?”

“Uhm yes.” Baekhyun sighed.

“This was a stupid idea Jongdae,” Luhan griped.

 

--

 

About an hour later, they were all finished. Luhan and Sehun could probably do the job by themselves and with time, they would get better. Baekhyun had to give Jongdae a step-by-step instruction as to how to apply everything but he suspected that the guy would still screw something up. They pulled on their socks and cardigans and looked in the full-length mirrors in Luhan’s walk in closet.

Jongdae’s alter ego, Jinae made eyebrows at Soyeon. “If I didn’t know that you were a dude, I’d tap that.”

“Please keep the profanity to a minimum,” Huanyue said with pursed lips and a sassy eye roll.

“How do we explain this to our parents?” Soyeon asked with large and surprised eyes.

“My parents have the ‘whatever floats your boat’ mentality. My sister was pretty damned weird,” Baekhee replied.

“My parents aren’t here often enough to judge me. I doubt they would notice if I switched gender for an entire year,” Huanyue replied.

“I’ll just deal with that hurdle when I come to it,” Jinae replied, tossing his hair.

“If it really matters, tell them that you lost a bet with Jongdae and that if it really bothers them so much, you can stay at my place until this whole thing ends.” Huanyue suggested to Soyeon.

“We still sound like ourselves,” Baekhee noticed. “We really need to sound more girly. We also stand like guys. It’s going to be so hard to change these habits and then change back afterwards,” he grumbled.

“Well that’s why we’re here today, to work on how to look more like the high school girls we’re pretending to be,” Soyeon pointed out.

“So are we going to walk a runway until we get the walk down? And just talk in a high-pitched voice until either we go hoarse or get it?” Jinae complained.

“Precisely,” Baekhee said in a voice a few keys higher than usual. “You’re a singer so it should be a little easier. Just imagine talking in an A-major instead of C with the tonic on middle C,” Baekhee replied brightly.  “I’ll simplify it for you, Soyeon. Just talk in a higher pitch, in case you didn’t already get that.” It was already getting easier to call them by their new names.

Jinae gave a melodramatic sigh. “It takes so much air and so much effort to speak like this,” he sighed in a high and airy voice.

“I’m sure you’ll get used to it after a while, after all, you’re going to have to. You’re the one stuck like this for the longest,” Huanyue pointed out in a pitch not that much higher than his usual tone. Soyeon was still looking in the mirror, watching his friends talk with voices that were not quite theirs and appearances that were definitely not theirs.

“All I can say is that school is going to be weird as hell,” Soyeon said in a strained voice as he tried to change the pitch. It was easy enough for the singers because they were used to it but it was a little more difficult for him. “Ugh, I can’t do this whole pitch change thing,” he grumbled in his normal pitch.

“Just pretend you’re sick for the first week while you work on it,” Baekhee supplied. “If we can at least look the part, sounding the part doesn’t matter as much, so let’s get to walking,” Baekhee said. Huanyue nodded in assent.

“So you guys can watch yourselves in the mirrors as you walk back and forth. Girls are supposed to walk delicately. I heard that a good way to look more feminine is to walk by placing one foot in front of the other instead of having them just run parallel,” Huanyue said.

Jongdae attempted to walk across the room like that and looked like a total idiot. It looked like he was putting much too much thought into putting one foot in front of the other mostly because he was crossing his feet instead of just walking a line.

“You look like a confused flamingo,” Huanyue commented. “This is how you’re really supposed to do it,” he said, turning and walking the line, hips swinging perfectly. His face heated up with every step until he his heel at the end and revealed a tomato red face.

“Wow. Everyone’s full of surprises today. Baekhyun can do makeup, Luhan can do the supermodel look, next thing you know Sehun will be doing aegyo.” Jinae commented, turning to Soyeon. “Please tell me you can’t do aegyo.”

“Uhm. Not especially, no,” Soyeon replied to Jinae’s relief.

“Try it,” Huanyue suggested.

“B-buing buing.” Soyeon turned red as he did his aegyo.

“Damn, even Sehun can do something cute. I’m going to go hibernate and hope that tomorrow the world returns to normal,” Jinae said,

“Get used to it. This is your reality for the next two months at least,” Baekhee replied. Jinae just groaned at the prospect.

 

A/N:

So here's how the name thing is going to go-I'll be writing them by their female names when they are in public dressed as girls and being see by the rest of the world as female and I'll be writing them by their male names when they are dressed as boys or alone with their group.

Next up is school! I'll be introducing a more extensive cast then~ Hope you enjoyed this chapter and that the month-long wait won't seem too long!