A Regrettable Gambit

Hearts: Chase the Lady (On Hiatus)

Word Count: ~1.5 k

 

It was ridiculous that Jongdae had managed to shoot the moon. That gave everyone 52 points and knocked his score of 69 down to zero. It was not surprising, however, that Baekhyun managed to recover, to a degree, and ended the game after twelve rounds with a score of 61. Because Jongdae had so many points, the four agreed that weekends counted toward their day quotas but they did not have to go around in drag on the weekends because the likelihood of being seen by classmates outside of school was rather slim. Even with weekends and breaks counting, Jongdae was going to be in drag for over half of the year, 187 days. Sehun came in second with 97 days and Luhan was third with 122 days.

Unfortunately, they would have to re-register as female students and they would also have to procure girl’s uniforms. They would also have to work on looking and acting like girls. It was easier for Sehun and Luhan to look feminine because, loathe as they were to admit it, they already looked rather feminine. They already had pixie cuts, so they were simply going to leave their hair as it was instead of having to deal with wigs. Not knowing how to go about looking like and acting like girls, they decided to call their friend Amber.

 

--

 

She spent a good ten minutes laughing when Jongdae called her and explained their situation.  “So what do you actually need to know,” she asked once the uncontrollable laughter had stopped.

“We need to know how to look like convincing girls,” Baekhyun said with the phone on speaker.

“Now it’s the four of you doing this? Baekhyun, Jongdae, Luhan, and Sehun?” she asked, bursting into laughter again.

“Yes. It’s Jongdae and the only three people dumb enough to take up Jongdae on a bet,” Luhan replied.

“Well I hope that you learned your lesson for next time,” Amber chided lightly.

“What are you, our mother?” Sehun asked indignantly.

“No, I’m the friend who’s cleaning up after this mess you’ve gotten yourselves into. Also, you guys are going to need to get new names. You have guy names and that won’t do.”

“It’s okay. We have names for when we register. Baekhyun is going to be Baekhee this year. Jongdae is going to be Jinae. Sehun is going to be Soyeon. I’m going to be Huanyue,” Luhan replied. “Those are all pretty girl names.”

“What we really called you for is tips as to how to look more like girls,” Baekhyun explained.

“Firstly, you guys are going to have to wax or shave or something, especially you Jongdae.”

“Wow, rude,” Jongdae retorted indignantly.

“Do you want my help or not?”

“Yes we do, please ignore him. We’ll gag him if we have to,” Baekhyun replied.

“Secondly, you’re going to need to learn to walk like a girl. Girls look more graceful when they walk, usually. Try to make yourself look small and delicate. I don’t think that’s so much a problem for you guys because you’re already kind of small and light.”

“Gee thanks,” Jongdae said.

“I’m just speaking the truth. You’re going to need to work on talking like a girl too.”

“Is there anything else we need to do?” Sehun asked.

“Yeah. You need to learn to put on makeup without it looking like a caveman did it.” Sehun cursed. “I can help you with that, but you’re going to have to learn how to do it without me because I’m not coming over to your house every morning to do it, nor am I giving you permission to come over to my house so that I can do it for you. I’ll show you once or twice and then you’re on your own.”

“Thanks Amber. So do you think you could come over sometime this week? The school year is starting in two weeks.” They heard a sigh at the other end of the phone.

“It’s not like I have a life outside of helping you guys or anything,” she replied sarcastically. “I’m free tomorrow so you guys need to come over here. You also need to buy your own stuff because I’m not giving you mine and you’ll want your own anyways.”

“Okay, thanks Amber.”

“One more thing, you’re going to have to look the part around the chest area,” They heard maniacal laughter at the other end of the phone before Amber ended the call.

 

--

 

“Why am I even friends with you,” Sehun groaned at Jongdae.

“Because I’m squishy and you can’t help but love me,” he replied, trying to look as cute as possible.

“No, I don’t think that’s it because I know many other people who are squishier and cuter,” Sehun replied indifferently.

“Luhan! Sehun’s being a meanie,” Jongdae whined.

“I’m pretty sure that you deserved that one,” Luhan pointed out.

“Luhan eomma is cruel just like everyone else.” Jongdae tried as best he could to look like a kicked puppy.

“Let’s just get this stuff and get out,” Baekhyun said, pushing his friends toward the makeup and beauty section.

“What are we even supposed to buy?”

“Probably eyeliner, rouge, foundation, eye shadow, mascara... What?” Baekhyun looked at them indignantly.

“Why do you know all of this?” Jongdae asked, astonished.

“Because that’s what this aisle is full of. Also have you never seen the displays in shop windows for makeup and stuff? Or are you just really dense?”

“I’m really dense.”

“Yes you are,” Sehun replied.

“Well whatever let’s just get some stuff in every colour and we’ll deal with everything else when we get to Amber’s,” Jongdae grumbled.

“I’m not paying for something in every colour!” Sehun groaned.

“I’ll pay for it,” Luhan sighed.

“Oh yeah, that’s right. You’re loaded. You’re dad’s a businessman or something,” Jongdae said with mock realisation. As they argued, Baekhyun had already piled everything into the basket and was quickly herding the guys to the checkout.

“Let’s just get out of here as quickly as possible,” he mumbled. The others didn’t notice what had happened, as they were too busy arguing about finances and how expensive this prank was becoming.

‘Your total comes to ₩ 84,000,” the cashier said politely. Luhan politely handed over the plastic before turning back to glare at his friends.

“How the did you get almost ₩ 85,000 worth of makeup!?” he mouthed angrily at them. They all shrugged and looked at one another. He turned back around, looking amiable again and took his card back. Jongdae sheepishly grabbed the bag before they all headed out. The cashier looked perturbed as they left.

“It wasn’t me! I don’t know what the hell we were buying!” Jongdae grumbled, but Luhan didn’t believe him. No one suspected Baekhyun of actually knowing what they were actually supposed to be buying.

“Let’s just get over to Amber’s house then,” Baekhyun said quickly. The other three mumbled some sort of assent.

 

--

 

“You realise that this is a lot more than you guys actually need, right?” Amber asked as she went through the bag. Luhan looked and glowered even more at his friends, who looked like deer in headlights.

“You can just have it when we’re done with it,” Luhan replied as nicely as possible when he felt so murderous.

“I don’t wear the stuff, but I guess I could give it to one of my friends.” She shrugged. “Each of you has such different facial features. It’s infuriating because I know I’m probably going to be here for a good couple hours because you all need different things.” She proceeded to dump all of the makeup supplies on the vanity in her bathroom. “You guys had better pay attention as I do this so you can help one another at school if you need it because I’m not going to be taking time out of my breaks to help you with your makeup.”

“Duly noted,” Baekhyun replied.

“I guess I’ll start with the one who needs the least work and go from there...” She turned to Sehun.

“I do not look like a girl!” he cried indignantly.

“I wasn’t saying that. I was just saying that you have pale and smooth skin so t won’t be as much as a hassle because you don’t need foundation. You don’t need it either,” she said to Luhan. “You’re all pretty pale to begin with. The real pain to do will be your eyes. Luhan will probably need the least eyeliner and Baekhyun will probably need the most. Well, I guess we should get started if this is going to take the whole afternoon...”

 

A/N: So here's chapter 1! I hope you like it. Feel free to subscribe or comment or up vote. Thank you for reading!