004

Fallen of the Angelus

LANA

 

 

“Agh.”  I groaned in pain as I tried to wake up. But it was useless, I was tied up.  I had no slightest idea on how did I get here nor where is this place.  The clinic is the last place I remembered going to before the whole word collapse before me. I am scared, very scared. I feared death, but it’s either I find death or death finds me.

 

I took some moment to examine the room; it is dark, only providing a small opening in the ceiling for light to pass through, which make things harder for me to find an exit. The flooring is made of stone, smooth and slimy, perhaps about 100 yards around.  The walls were made out of cobblestone, with moss growing from each crevice. Chains lay on the walls, with hammered metal shackles on the floor. On the side of the wall, there was a door.  I wiggled my way for the door, feeling the cold, freezing floor rubbing against my stomach. 

 

The door was closed. I tried to open the door, my bare hands pushing against the rough surface of the door. It was all in vain. The door stood stubbornly in its place.  The door was solid metal. Nothing was going to budge it. The surface was flat and shiny like the outside of a stainless steel refrigerator. There was no handle, no lock, no hinges, nothing to get a grip on. The top and bottom, even the sides, lay so utterly flush with the frame that there was no hope of jimmying it open even if I had a crowbar, but I had nothing of the sort. All I had was a packet of chewing gum I always carried.

 

There was not even a window in this room. A shudder ran through me.  Trapped. I was trapped. I was confined within the walls of this room. I felt claustrophobic. A metallic smell hung in the room. It reminded me somewhat of the smell of dried blood.

 

Suddenly, an ear splitting scream came from the room next to mine, I was so scared that my heart missed a beat. The door flew ajar and standing there was a man with a butcher’s knife in his hand. Blood was dripping from the knife. I was going to die.

 

His blood-shot eyes stared at me; it looked as if he was dead. Inside his eyes, were tiny flames which, sparked every time he blinked. My spine trembled with fear, I gulped loudly. His devastating eyes struck fear into the heart of any living creature. I was paralyzed with fear. I was going to run, but there was nowhere to run or hide.

 

I never did have any plan to which I could follow; I’m investing my life in my quick reflexes and instinct. I am capable to decide and think quickly, a promising survival skill, I ought to say.  I painstakingly took the packet of chewing gum in my pocket as the man slowly approached me.  I locked the packet of bubble gum in between my feet and God knows how strong my feet are. I swung my feet to an upward-downward motion to throw the packet of bubble gum. It landed with a thump.  Thanks lord, it landed a few yards behind him.

 

He was startled, judging from his looks, I could see confusion written all over his face. The darkness had become my advantage in this situation. It was pitch dark and that could buy me some time as he would have a hard time finding the packet of bubble gum I threw.  I rolled my way to him to save time. I gripped the metal shackles resting just beside me and locked it around his feet.

 

Flaming eyes look down at me as if I had set fire to an oil plant. A predator stare ready to strike at any given moment. I was stuck with this monster of boiling anger glaring me down for my final moments of life.  

 

He threw his body weight behind the fist that edged closer to my face, it hit my jaw with such force that blood pooled in my mouth. Pain erupted from the point of impact. With my own two hands, I grasped his head in my hands and brought my knee cap up to his nose, there was a blunt crack and I released his dark haired head. Crimson leaked from both his nostrils and his nose was twisted right. He drew his fist back again and it punched into my stomach, it was like hitting a train head on. My guts smashed together, blood vessels bursting. I repaid this by punching his jaw; my fist collided with all my body weight. I continued this battering until he fell to the floor. His chest gently rose and sank with each shallow breath he drew in.

 

I looked at the blood on my hands. I looked up at him again, this time, with widened eyes. His chest showed no movement at all.  I heard a gasp coming from the door. I turned around to see a woman with an opened jaw , staring at me in horror.

 

“I –I didn’t kill him. I did not. I did not kill him. I didn’t. I didn’t. ”