Eavesdropping

Unwanted Love
Chapter 4: Eavesdropping
 
My eyes open.
 
The red glowing light from my clock on the nightstand next to me reads 1:50. The sound of the front door slamming shut, as if it was meant to be slammed, had woken me up from my sleep. Rubbing my eyes, I drowsily get out of bed and walk towards my bedroom door. I open the door by an inch and silence was all that I heard until the voice of my father talking in a low voice could be heard from downstairs. I strain to hear him better but I don't completely understand what he is saying. I make my way out of my bedroom and to the balcony of the second floor that looks down to the first floor.  There I could see my father standing in the middle of the foyer talking frantically on the phone.
 
"What do you mean there's nothing he can do? He's the one who invested in my business!.....I don't care what he says! He needs to fix his mistake!...I don't care that it will cost too much for him!.....Don't apologize you coward! Do something about it!...." My father roars out in a low and angry voice.
 
Startled by the whole situation I bump into a potted plant next to me sending it crashing to the floor. The plant and all falls onto the floor breaking the pot into peices. The whole contents of the plant spills all over the floor. Seeing my father turning around to look up, I quickly turn to my right and am out of sight of my father. The only sound that I could hear was the sound of my beating heart.
 
"Hold on for a moment..." I hear my father say. By the silence I could tell he was listening intently for anymore sounds.
 
"Okay Mrs. Yi, I'll see Mr. Byun next Tuesday." My father angerly huffs out after a moment. The sound of a door closing assuages my worries. Relief floods over me. He left to another room. I stand in my spot to calm myself down. 'How am I going to clean this mess up?' I think to myself.
 
"Nara?"
 
I freeze in my tracks.
 
'Crap, crap, crap, crap crap'
 
Sounds of footsteps echo through the house as he makes his way up to the second floor. Not wasting a minute, I queitly rush towards my bedroom which seems much father away than I remember it to be. I quietly close the door behind me, but before I do I hear my father's footsteps approaching. I jump into bed and fling the covers over myself. I tightly close my eyes as I pretend that I have been asleep the whole time. After a few seconds pass, the door to my bedroom slowly opens.
 
"Nara?" I hear my father whisper.
 
I don't reply. When my father realizes he won't be getting a reponse, he closes the door and his footsteps fade away with each step.
 
I let out my breathe that I had been keeping in the entire time as I turn from laying on my side to on my back. A sudden pain in my foot causes me to wince. Turning on my lamp, I pull away the covers and see that there is a scratch on my foot. It probably happened when the pot broke. Turning off the lamp I lay back to bed.
 
'I'll bandage it up when my father goes to bed,' think to myself.
 
'What's going on with my father?' The conversation that my father had on the phone echos through my mind. It scares me...
 
***
 
"I wasn't at the house late last night, Mr.Kim," I hear Mrs. Lee our housekeeper say to my father as I enter the dinning room.
 
"Good morning everyone," I quietly say as I sit down at the table avoiding eye contact with my father.
 
"Nara, were you asleep last night during 1-2:30?" My father asks me as he directs his attention to me.
 
"Yes, why?'" I ask with a fake confused face.
 
"The potted plant fell," My father says sternly.
 
"Oh, it must have fell on its own," I come up with a reason to hide the actual truth.
 
"Alright..." My father says hesitantly though I could tell that he wasn't so sure about that. But without another word he goes back to checking his files.
 
***
 
"So that is the life cycle," Mr. Oh says as he turns around from drawing out and explaining the life cycle. The teacher pauses as he lets the students soak in the information. From behind me, I can hear a deep grunt from Kris in annoyance.
 
"Any questions?" Mr. Oh asks and waits for hands to be raised, none come so Mr. Oh puts down his marker and closes his book. From behind I can hear a sad sigh.
 
"Okay so you homework for today...is..." Mr. Oh says as he turns the pages of his schedule to find our homework assignment. "Page 254 1-10 and....pg 258 1-5," Mr. Oh adds once he had found the right page in his schedule. The room fills with groans at the sound of homework being said. I don't mind homework. It gives me something to do. Imediately after giving the homework out, the bell rings and students rush to pack their bags so that they can get out of the classroom. 
 
Walking past Mr. Oh along the way to the door, I hear a couple of girls say to him, "Bye Mr. Oh! See you tomorrow Mr. Oh! Your my favorite teacher Mr. Oh!" The girls would smile at him as they said that then blush to their friends and giggle. I can't blame them, Mr. Oh is handsome. 
 
Before leaving the classroom, I stop at the door and turn around to see one student still in the room glaring at his textbook.
 
______________________
Hi guys! :)
Sorry if the Nara and Kris moments are slow. They'll be coming soon!
Comment if you want! ^^