Episode 3

Marry U

Kai got dressed slowly. He didn't want to go for filming. He thought about what Soomin had said and he knew he couldn't let his guard down. Filming would be at Namsan Tower today and he was informed it would be a longer date. They would have lunch at the restaurant there, followed by a date around the Namsan Tower.
 
Just then Suho, EXO's leader, came into the room with a worried expression on his face. "Jongin, you have to look at this." He held out his phone and on it was an article written on Kai and Soomin. Kai read it slowly. The article stated that Kai and Soomin are not happy that they've been paired together. The article went on to further explain that Soomin used to be training with Kai in SM but she left. He was upset. The article was definitely trying to make viewers think badly of them. They have just started filming, viewers couldn't expect them to become close instantly right? Or was it really obvious they didn't like each other? This won't do, they had to do something about it. 
 
Soomin's phone started ringing. It was an unknown number. “Hello?" She answered carefully. 
 
"Did you see the article?” It was Kai and sounded worried. 
 
"What article? And how did you get my number?" She softened her voice slightly. 
 
He sighed into the phone. “I’m using my manager’s phone, he got your number from the producers. You’ll know which article when you see it. Just know that we have to be alert today and at least try to be slightly sincere? You know what, just follow my lead." With that he hung up. 
 
Soomin was left wondering what was going on. She did a quick search online and articles started popping out. She read them slowly and in fear. They wouldn't get found out, would they? Indeed, she had to add more believable elements into her act later that day. Gone with these articles!
 
Soomin was the first to arrive at the filming location for that day. Somehow she felt nervous
. It was their first time filming in the view of the public eye. People and fans could just take photos and videos of them as and when they wanted. It would mean that she and Kai had to put on an act even when the cameras stopped filming.
 
Kai arrived and he crept up quietly behind her. He smiled cheekily as he approached her. He stood on her left but reached out and gave her a light tap on her right shoulder. She turned around but there was no one there. She turned to the other side and saw him. "What are you doing?" She asked, smiling slightly. She thought carefully about her reactions. He said to follow his lead, so she would just play along… in her own way. 
 
"Let's go!" He waited for her to start walking and he followed. 
 
They arrived at the cable car station and got in line to board. "We are going on that?" Soomin asked nervously. 
 
Kai nodded. "Don't tell me you're afraid?" He frowned slightly and pretended to look worried. 
 
She hesitated before nodding slightly. She gasped and her eyes widened as the door to the cable car opened. A look of worry was plastered over his face. Truthfully, he did feel worried. He thought for a moment about what he should do. But before he could do anything, she took a deep breath and stepped into the car. He quickly followed behind her. 
 
Within a minute, the cable car's door closed and it started moving up. It wasn't fast but it got higher and higher. He kept his eyes on her the whole time, noticing that she froze as soon as the ride began. Without much thought, he held out his hand, offering it to her. She looked at him totally confused. This was something the old Kai would do, the Kai that cared for her. 
 
When he saw the expression on her face, it was then he realized what he was doing. And on camera even. But since it was done, he couldn't take it back. He moved his arm slightly, encouraging her to hold his hand. She looked up and him and down at his hand again. Nervously, she reached out and place her hand on his palm, to which he held onto to her hand slightly. Strangely, she felt herself calming down. It wasn't the first time they've held hands but it was the first time in a few years. She couldn't lie that his action didn't bring back memories With an inward sigh, she reminded herself that this was all just an act.
 
They headed straight for the cafe after the ride. "Aren't you hungry?" Kai spoke out, breaking the few minutes of silence.
  
Soomin nodded and smiled shyly. "A little. But I'm fine now so you can let go off my hand now, Kai."
 
He immediately released her hand and hurried in front awkwardly. "I'll go get us a seat."
  
Soomin decided to start a conversation while they waited for the food. She cracked her brain for things to talk about since she already knew quite a lot about him. "Um," she cleared , "You know, you're like from EXO and all right but do you still face challenges from being so famous?"
  
"Challenges from being too famous? I guess there are many fans wherever we go?" He chuckled, "Don't tell me you're jealous already?" He shot her a smile that looked like her was teasing her just to see her reaction.
 
Though they disliked each other now, she still blushed upon hearing his comment. She shook her head strongly, hoping he wouldn't notice her red cheeks. "It's not like that. I mean like just regular challenges that you're facing?"
 
He laughed again before stopping to reply, "Well, maybe singing? Since I mostly dance and rap. So singing would be a challenge. I mean I've been trained in singing too but I'll never be as good as our group's Baekhyun or Chen." He shrugged slightly, "Everyone will have a challenge or two right? So, what's your challenge?"
 
She paused, thoughtfully. "I've never been good at dance. It takes me almost forever to perfect the dances for comebacks. Maybe one day they'll even have to postpone my comeback date due to my dancing."
 
He laughed again, only this time it sounded like he meant it. He opened his mouth to say something but stopped himself when the food was served.
 
They moved onto the next part of their date, which was to explore the tower. Soomin was excited as it was her first time there and she wanted to take a few pictures. She held her phone up to take a picture of the view of Seoul. After snapping a few shots, she heard Kai coming behind her and once again, he laughed. "What photos are you taking standing in the middle of the platform? You have to go to the edge for good shots of the view."
 
She gulped. He wasn't going to make her go to the edge right? There was no way she could walk to the edge, take a picture and make it back alive.
  
To her surprise, he took her phone from her, walked to the edge, snapped a few shots and came back. "There, done!" He smiled widely, a smile that used to make her heart skip a beat.
 
She kept her phone quickly and looked for something to divert their attention elsewhere. To her right, she noticed an area where there were hundreds and hundreds of locks. "Let's do that! To commemorate the beginning of our marriage." She suggested enthusiastically.
 
He agreed immediately knowing that it was all for the sake of the show. It would give those reporters something positive to write about too.
  
In the private interview, Soomin sat nervously as she talked about their date. She hated to admit it but without Kai around, she felt as though she couldn't keep up with the act especially with a single camera focused on her. It was as if the camera was picking up everything, even the lies. But for the sake of their careers, she had to try her best to hide it.
 
"So what did you like most about the date?" The producer asked.
 
"It was my first time at the Namsan tower. I haven't been good with heights so I haven't been up there. But with Kai's help, I managed to go up there." She smiled and nodded.
 
"So do you think you've developed some feelings for Kai?"
 
She titled her head a little. "It's too early to tell." She said calmly, before flashing one of her winning smiles.
  
Kai shifted in his seat uncomfortably as he talked about his favourite part of their date. As he spoke, all he could think about were the viewers and whether they would buy their act.
 
"So Kai do you think you have feeling for Soomin?"
 
 Kai froze for a moment, as everything about her from the past flooded his mind. Finally, he shook his head and smiled, "Well, we just met."
  


Posted on 4th April 2014.

#HappyHyukDay