Episode 6

Marry U

A mission card was delivered that morning as they were at their respective salons getting ready for filming. 
 
Soomin's eyes widened as she read the message. "We'll be moving into our house today?" She asked the camera. "I'll have to head home and pack some of my things. What should I bring there?" 
 
Kai too was startled by the news but he remained calm. "We've known each other for almost a month so I guess it's about time we had a place of our own right?” 
 
The house was a small house on the outskirt of Seoul. It had a small garden on the outside with a stone path leading to the front door. Kai arrived first and he went straight into the house. The interior was decorated and designed by the crew according to the style of this couple. Before he could check out the place, he heard a car stopping outside. 
 
Soomin’s manager dropped her off along with the luggage she packed. She stared at the house in disbelief. This was their house? It seemed like a house for a whole family instead of just two people. Kai hurried out from the front door. “You should see the inside! Let’s go!” He exclaimed excitedly while picking up her luggage.
 
She entered the house and saw the large space. He stood by her side and they were both just staring at the space. “The whole house had been decorated but they left out the living room?” She kept studying the space, looking for some kind of hint. 
 
He noticed a curtain covering a wall. “What’s behind that?” A pull on the curtain revealed a large mirror that covered the entire wall. “What…” 
 
“A dance studio? Is that what it is?” She explored the large space with her arms stretched out. 
 
“Wow…” He exclaimed softly. He started busting some dance moves. “This is great!” 
 
She liked the personal dance studio but she was a little disappointed. Dancing was kind of Kai’s thing, not hers. Did the producers want to make it seem like dancing was something they shared in common? She watched Kai from the corner of her eye as he continued to check out his moves in the mirror. He looked really good, like he belonged on the dance floor. Her heart began to beat strangely all of a sudden. Quickly, she diverted her attention elsewhere, ensuring that her cheeks - that turned light pink - were hidden from his view.
 
“Where are you going?” Kai asked, noticing her walking away. Somehow he felt like he should show off his moves, at the same time he wanted to impress her like how he would used to in the past. She used to like watching him dance, staring at him in absolutely awe. But now, she doesn’t even say a word, much less stay to watch him.
 
He followed her silently as they continued exploring the house. The kitchen was just by the living room and there was no door or wall separating the two. She liked the kitchen very much, making a mental note that she would like a kitchen like this in her future home as it allowed her to see everything going on while cooking. He immediately headed for the refrigerator. “What? It’s empty!”
 
She let out a soft chuckle. “Did you expect them to stock up for us too?”
 
Surprised to hear her laugh, he smiled and shrugged. It was nice to hear her laughing and smiling sincerely. But he quickly shook that thought away. He shouldn’t think like that after all they were just acting, just pretending.
 
He continued to follow her cautiously. He was especially wary of her that day after what happened during their previous meeting. He felt bad for embarrassing her in front of . Surely, she wasn’t still mad at him right? He relaxed slightly since she hadn’t shown any signs of being upset yet. He wasn’t sure how she would be around him so he decided to be on his best behavior in order not to upset her again. He motioned for her to go up the stairs first. She looked at him strangely before climbing up.
 
The stairs led them to a single bedroom. It wasn't very big but it was big enough for two people. It had a queen-sized bed in the middle of the room, a small cabinet and a television. The other side of the room had a large glass door that opened up to a tiny balcony. “Wow.” She exclaimed in a loud whisper.
 
“Are you tired? You can rest here.” Kai suggested, still careful with his expression and tone.
 
She looked at him weirdly again before shaking her head. What was with him? He was actually being nice to her. If that wasn’t already strange enough, it seemed as if he really meant it. She felt slightly touched by his sudden concern. Shrugging off her feelings, she attempted to change the topic. “Did you bring anything to decorate the house?”
 
“It’s downstairs in my luggage. Shall we go check it out?”
 
She settled down in the living room while he carried both their luggage in single handedly. “I didn’t bring much though.” She admitted as she opened her luggage. There were music scores, books and a stuffed toy. And in Kai’s there were nothing but snacks and caps.
 
“I thought we were supposed to bring things to decorate the house?” He laughed as he looked from one luggage to the other.
 
“I didn’t know how they would decorate the place so I just packed things I would need. I’m working on some songs so I brought my music stuff.” She admitted before peering into his luggage. “And you brought caps? I don’t see how those are decorations as well!”
 
“Well… they decorate my head!” He smiled as he picked one up and placed it on her head. “See?”
 
She checked herself out quickly in the mirror, frowning slightly. She pointed at another cap in the bag. “I like that one better. This is a little too big, no?”
 
He immediately switched the caps on her head. “It does suit you better.” He smiled.
 
She giggled softly as she admired her own reflection. “Yeah, I quite like how this looks.”
 
“You can have it.” He smiled. He didn’t know why he said that but she really did look good in that cap.
 
“Well, thanks. I like it.” She replied awkwardly. It was nice of him to give it to her but of course, she wasn’t really going to keep it, knowing that he treasures his caps. She would return it to him once filming was over.
 
Noticing the sudden awkwardness in the room, he picked up one of the music scores and studied it. “Is it a new song?”
 
“Yup! It’s something I’m working on for my new album.” She went on to talk about the music a little more and he listened attentively, which was something he rarely did even when they were dating. It must be because there were cameras around.
 
“Would it be okay for me to listen to this?” She was taken aback by his sudden interest and sincerity. She took out her iPod, handing him one side of the earphones that he carefully placed into his ear. The music started playing softly and he was captivated by her voice. He had heard her singing many times before but this was the first time he paid full attention. He couldn’t help but hold his breath while listening.
 
The signal came that they would be stopping filming. As soon as the producer put down his hand, filming came to a stop. Kai took out the earphone and handed it to her. “It’s really good. This should be your title track in your next album.”
 
She was surprised by his sudden compliment. “Thanks.” She returned to being monotonous. She didn’t hesitate to return him the cap.
 
He shook his head and looked at her with a raised eyebrow. “I gave it to you. Why are you returning it to me?” He smiled slightly but cautiously, watching her facial expressions closely.
 
“Fine, I’ll keep it but please stop this.” She stared at him seriously and continued in hushed tones. “I don’t know what you’re thinking or up to but you don't have to be nice to me. I don’t need it. We’ve agreed to just pretend. So just keep pretending. I hope you’re not trying to gain a friendship or whatever from this. I’m not here to make friends. Especially not with you.” With that, she turned and walked away.
 
He stood there dumbfounded. What she said was true but why did it feel like she just shot him in the chest? 


Posted 21st April 2014. 

#PrayforSouthKorea