Episode 16

Marry U

Soomin thought about what Suho said. She couldn’t get it off her mind for days. Did Kai really like her? Looking back at the various incidences, anyone could tell he probably did. She didn’t really think about it until Suho mentioned it. The only question left was, did she feel anything for Kai? She couldn’t deny that there was definitely some feeling present. It was easier to feel it when she put the past behind and started being friends from the beginning again. 
 
Their relationship improved after the wedding photo shoot. Kai was a little awkward around her after the kiss but he slowly went back to being his usual self after the whole photo shoot ended. He even texted her complaining about Suho who wouldn’t stop teasing him. She decided not to mention the conversation she had with Suho while he was gone. She was glad that everything was good between them now. She didn’t want to think how they would end up once the show ended. 
 
“I think we’ve gotten closer after the photo shoot. I don’t think we’ve been that close before.” Kai chuckled in embarrassment while looking into the camera for his solo interview. “We were just following the photographer’s directions. So when he told us to kiss… It took me some time to register.” 
 
Soomin hummed. "I didn't think he would actually do it. I mean we were both so nervous! I could hardly think right." She felt herself blushing. It was like the camera could see right through her.
 
Kai and Soomin met on the street just outside their house. Kai had bought some food from the street stalls and it was about to go cold if Soomin didn't arrive soon. He smiled to himself as he thought about her. He wondered how they became friends again. It was like he had already forgotten the reason why he was angry with her in the first place. Did he even stop liking her?
 
Just then Soomin ran up the path. "Boo!" She shouted as she reached Kai, before bursting out in laughter at his reaction. "What were you thinking about? You didn't even notice me coming!"
 
He smiled, somewhat cheekily. "Well... you..."
 
Her eyes widened, shocked at his sudden honesty. "What are you saying?" She nudged him playfully before running towards the house. Was Kai thinking before he said anything? He shouldn’t act as though the cameras aren’t around.
 
The table was covered with the food Kai bought. "Come, let's eat! You'll need energy to work on your comeback!"
 
She took a seat and stared at the spread. She counted a few of her favorite dishes. How did he know what they were? It had been ages since they have eaten street food together. It doesn’t seem possible for him to remember what she liked since then.
 
He brows furrowed with worry watching her stare at the food without a sound. “Is it not to your liking?”
 
She shook her head, picked up her chopsticks and started eating. The food was delicious! A proud Kai watched as she continuously put piece after piece into .
 
They kept eating and before they knew it, all the food on the table was gone. Soomin rubbed her tummy totally contented. “That was great! Although I shouldn’t be eating so much.” She sighed.
 
“What are you fussing about? You don’t need to be on a diet.” Kai sounded almost angry. She didn’t want to continue the conversation so she just pouted cutely, hoping to divert his attention. Thankfully, it worked and they cleared the table without another word.
 
As Kai returned from throwing out the trash, he whipped out his phone and waved it at her cutely. “Let’s take a picture! We don’t have one together yet.”
 
She smiled and nodded, unable to say anything more. They had taken many pictures together in the past. She remembered taking many pictures of Kai without him knowing. She tried to recall where they went but they were probably all deleted or gone by now.
 
He came up beside her and posed. His hand with the camera was stretched out at an angle and he would change it with every shot. When he was satisfied, he stopped to check the pictures. He slid his finger around the screen a few times before showing it to her.
 
“What? You set it as your wallpaper?” She blushed. “Why did you do that?”
 
“I don’t get to see you everyday…” He lowered his head and spoke softly. She knew he meant what he said. Then, he looked away as if he was thinking about something.
 
“Are you thinking about something?” She raised an eyebrow, wondering if he would make a silly request or say something funny. But his expression only grew more serious.
 
He cleared his throat and fidgeted nervously. “There’s one more thing…”
 
“What is it, Jongin?” She held her breath slightly realizing she called him by his real name.
 
“I think… It’s a good time… I want to meet your mother.” He looked right into her eyes and that look almost made her stop breathing.
 
Soomin didn’t know why Kai made such a sudden request. It wasn’t like he has never met her mother before. He met her a few times and he even got to try her cooking, which he loved. Was he craving her mother’s food? But she had a bad feeling about it. Things are never what it seems especially when it came to Kai.
 
With the persuasion of the crew and producer, they were on their way to her house which was on the outskirts of Seoul. She didn’t live with her mother anymore since she lives in a dorm near her company building. Her mother kept her room in the same condition so that she could use it when she came back during the holidays. She was nervous about Kai visiting her house again.
 
Her mother knew all about the show and watched them closely. She knew how much her mother liked Kai back then. She was over the moon when she heard her daughter would be pretending to be married to Kai. Her mother would constantly mention that it would be great if they could get back together. Before, she didn’t think it was possible but now, she started to think that there might be a chance. She quickly shook the thoughts out of her head when their car pulled into their destination.
 
Her mother greeted Kai warmly, as expected. She made introduced Kai formally, to remind her mother that she had to pretend she never met him. To her relief, her mother caught on quickly and there were no mistakes throughout the night.
 
“The food was great! I’ve never tasted such delicious home cooked food aside from my own mother’s.” Kai was always generous with his compliments.
 
Her mother beamed. “Well, you’re always welcomed back anytime!”
 
Suddenly, her mother’s expression changed and the atmosphere became serious. “Kai, I’m glad that our Soomin met someone like you.” She took Kai’s hand in her own. “You’ll take good care of her right? You won’t leave her alone right?”
 
Kai nodded sincerely. “I won’t. I’ll take care of her and stay by her side.” He smiled. Her mother smiled back, pleased with his reply.
 
They decided to call it a night and stop filming for the day. Her mother packed some food for the staff to eat on their way back. Soomin decided to stay for the night, as it was already pretty late. Her manager would come and get her in the morning. “Hey, it’s late, you should head back soon.”
 
Her mother interrupted them before he could reply. “Jongin… It’s too late. Just stay the night?” Soomin’s eyes widened as she glared at her mother.
 
Kai looked at Soomin, as if waiting for a sign of approval. He was tired and he didn’t mind staying but he wouldn’t if she didn’t want him too.
 
“Um…” She hesitated. There were no cameras here so she could just tell him to get out. However, the words weren’t coming out.
 
Her mother took this as her giving her permission. Her mother grabbed Kai’s arm and led him into the room. “You can sleep in Soomin’s room. I’ll get you blankets for the floor. It’s too cold to sleep outside.”
 
He glanced over at her. She was still frozen in the same spot. “Hey… Are you sure this is fine? I can drive back to my dorm if you aren’t okay with this. I couldn’t say anything because it was your mother asking.” He asked her softly.
 
She wanted very much to chase him home but she couldn’t bring herself to after noticing the slight redness in his eyes. He was tired. How could she bear to send him home?
 
“I’m fine with it.” She felt bad for even entertaining the thought of making him leave. “I’ll get you some of my cousin’s old clothes so you can wash up and get some rest.” She smiled slightly before hurrying off.
 
He smiled to himself as he watched her disappear into the room. 


Posted 2nd June 2014.