You'll buy his cow?

Royal Ransom

Changsun dragged the reins so the horse had no option but to halt. Sanghyun peered around not sure of where they were. Turning up to an unfamiliar town in the dark where the only lighting was the occasional lanterns that emitted deep yellow glows could be a little intimidating.

“Where should we look?”

Sanghyun stared at Changsun. “I thought you already had an idea.”

“I did but I’m not so sure now.” Changsun admitted appearing flustered. He glanced around and then looked back at Sanghyun, “of course.”

Sanghyun stood there confused. “What do you mean?”

“She would be at a pavilion since she is posing as a e.”  And the realisation struck Sanghyun as well. He patted his friend on the back.

 

“Indeed you are a royal guard. No other man would be as smart.”

Changsun just grinned and then took the arm of a man passing by. The man turned to him upon being touched. “Pardon me sir,” Changsun spoke clearly. “But could you please tell me where the nearest pavilion is?”

His eyes scanned both Changsun and Sanghyun. He then gave them a rather understanding and somewhat lewd smirk. “You young dogs,” he said before winking.  “You must be on your break from the palace and want to find some high quality flowers.”

“Ah actually we—“

He pointed to the right cutting them off mid excuse. “Follow that road and turn at the left. It’s right there hard to miss, have a good night.” The man then left them, carrying his lantern. Changsun checked with Sanghyun who had become rather quiet. Seeing his face he knew immediately why. He was red like a beetroot.

Changsun cuffed Sanghyun on the back of the head. “Stop acting like a hormonal boy. We’re going there just to ask, not to try out the services!”

“Ah, y-you’re right,” Sanghyun admitted with a rather sheepish nod. They led their horses down the dusty road, keeping to the side for the sake of the other travellers on foot. When they reached the end like the man suggested both turned and followed the road until the sight of the place came into view. On a rock the words ‘Jung-bin Pavilion’ were written in black thick letters.

Tying their horses up close by Changsun led Sanghyun up the stairs to the front door which he opened gingerly. Inside there was merry laughter, false giggles and the strong scent of inter-mixed  fragrances from dozen of women all competing for their money’s worth.

“What can we do for you?” The lady that approached was in black and red. Her makeup was heavy and gaze firmly piercing them. She did not seem like the sweet, giggly girls who playfully hit the arms of drunken men.

Changsun glanced at Sanghyun whose eyes were beginning to wonder. He cleared his throat and Sanghyun snapped out of it. “I’m Lee Changsun, one of his royal majesty’s guards. My friend and I here are searching for a particular woman. We think she may be in here since she is dressed like a e.”

The woman folded her arms. “What does that have to do with us? There are two other pavilions nearby.”

“We think she’s the missing princess.” At this the woman’s eyes widened. She checked behind at the business in the background. Changsun and Sanghyun waited patiently.

“Could we have a look around?”

The woman didn’t take long to shake her head. “This is a bad time. Right now this is our business hours; we don’t want any disgruntled customers leaving because of you. We cannot afford such an event. I would like you both to leave.”

“But madam you don’t understand—“

“—come in the morning if you have to. Otherwise get out.” Changsun made a rather curt bow before turning on his heel. Sanghyun followed after him since there wasn’t much else he could do.

Outside Sanghyun let loose his thoughts. “You should have just ignored her! The princess is more important than their—their business!”

Changsun’s serious stare startled Sanghyun. “It’s not for us to decide. We aren’t in a hurry, how about we find an inn and search in the morning.”

Sanghyun yawned and then made a tired nod. “Alright, I am sleepy. Sounds like a plan.” They retrieved their horses and went to a place nearby where they booked some rooms and also ordered rice wine between them.

 



Byunghee woke from a heavy banging on the door. Sitting up he glanced over at Jinkyong who was still asleep. Her hair had spread around like fine, black ropes. For a moment he was breathless and had to slap his cheeks. “Calm down Byunghee, she’s the princess—“

The banging continued and he got to his feet and opened the door. Seungho was leaning with his arm, a hand against his forehead.
“Damn, it feels like Buddha placed one of his fat feet on my head.”

Byunghee tutted, “you should have known better. You’ll have to come back later. She’s still asleep.”

Seungho made a rather pain filled smile. “If I can suffer then so should she; makes our agreement that much more fair.” Before Byunghee could stop him Seungho went over to the bed and pulled the blanket off waking Jinkyong immediately.

“Rise and shine, we have to get on the…” He stopped to throw up all beside the bed. Jinkyong shifted away, her face twisting in revolt at the scene. Byunghee just gave one of his typical sighs. He would be paying for cleaning as well as the rent for the night.

Jinkyong held her shawl over her shoulders tightly. Some of Seungho’s sick had landed on her clothes and so a kind lady had given her a new top part of the hanbok. The only problem was it was black and slightly transparent.

“Stop acting like you’re being indecent. No one is looking at you.” Seungho told her.

“Actually she’s caught the eyes of several men passing by.” Byunghee disagreed. Seungho glanced at their guest who had her head to the ground.

“Why are you ashamed? Do you think the es feel any better knowing that the princess is such a plain woman without makeup?”

“Seungho!”

Byunghee had heard enough and looked as though he would punch his friend. Jinkyong did not react. The two men both looked at her. “Jinkyong, aren’t you going to say something?”

She raised her head and stared Seungho straight in the eyes. “Why should I? I already know that Mr Yang looks to outer appearance more than the character of someone. Anything I say would prove useless.”

Seungho opened his mouth to protest against his shallowness when a scene caught Jinkyong’s eye. They almost had to run after her as she went over to a stand set up by a butcher who was speaking to a young man. As they came closer they saw that the sandy brown cow the boy held tethered to a string looked rather flea bitten with its ribs protruding.

“I’m not going to buy your cow.” The merchant said, his voice starting to rise. “It’s in poor condition for the price you’re requesting.”

“But sir I need the money,” the boy protested with a whine.

“I said no.”

Jinkyong took a deep breath and approached the scene. Seungho and Byunghee paused. “What is she doing?” Byunghee murmured.

“We’ll see,” Seungho answered sounding not the bit impressed.

Jinkyong cleared . “Excuse me sir, am I interrupting?”

Startled the merchant stumbled for words while the boy said. “He refuses to buy my cow!”

Jinkyong glanced at him, her expression softening. In her eyes he seemed like a good natured boy based on his slightly round face and nose. His hair was parted in the middle to reveal his rather long forehead.

“I see, well as it so happens I am actually searching for a cow to buy. My father’s having a banquet in a few days and we don’t need a fat animal. It’s better for his guests to eat something lean, to save their poor wives having to bury them before they’re old and grey. How much were you asking for it?”

Seungho wanted to storm over there and drag her away but Byunghee’s firm grasp on a shoulder made him stationary. “Interesting,” Byunghee mused as he watched. Seungho exhaled heavily through his nose.

“Just two gold coins,” the boy told her.

She looked at him in disbelief and then faced the merchant. “He’s really under-priced this creature.” She then reached into her sleeve. “This will not do,” the boy was taken back as Jinkyong took out a strand of gold coins. Seungho made a funny noise in the back of his throat like a hiccup.

“How about I buy it off you for four gold coins? Seems fair am I right?”

“She can’t be serious.” Seungho muttered. “She had all that money with her all along? What the hell does she need me for? She could pay a greedy horseman to just take her back to the palace!”

Byunghee noticed something about Seungho’s temperament. Glancing at his friend he said, “You sound very insecure. Are you afraid she will not need your help anymore and leave?”

Seungho had been trapped in the snare. “T-that is not true.”

“So will you accept my deal or not?” Jinkyong asked. “This man is wasting his time and yours by disagreeing but I will make your time worthwhile. Perhaps this scene will affect his business as well so let’s find a place to sit—“

“—wait,” the merchant interrupted. He mumbled as he took out his own supply of gold. “Here, take it.” He slid three gold coins off the string to the boy and then held out his hand for the rope.

The boy’s face lit up and he bowed to the man after handing over the cow. “Thank you for your kindness. The heavens bless you and your whole family.”

Jinkyong and the boy moved away from the stand both of them walking in synchronisation. “You didn’t really want to buy my cow did you?”

She shook her head, “but I did a convincing job of acting like I wanted to yes?”

He agreed with a chuckle. “I don’t think I’ve met you before. Are you new to town?”

“We’re just passing through,” Seungho interrupted.

Jinkyong quickly covered up his bluntness to their puzzled guest. “Yes we are technically. I’m Princess Yi Jinkyong. He and Mr Jung are escorting me back to the palace.”

“The way she put it—“

“That is awesome. I’m Bang Cheolyong the youngest son in the family and child since I have an older sister.”

“Is she pretty?” Seungho groaned after Byunghee’s hand managed to thump him in the ribs.

Cheolyong continued. “Would I be able to come with you to the palace? I want to speak with his royal majesty.”

Jinkyong was interested in him more and more. Byunghee kept glancing between her and Cheolyong and Seungho. The former appeared to have a grey cloud over his head.
“It should be fine for you to join us,” Jinkyong assured him. “If word gets around that his royal highness will listen to the worries of his people it will look favourably upon him and his reign.”

“Um Jin—your majesty,” Byunghee began. “I don’t know if it would be wise to—“

“He’s not coming with us.”

Jinkyong’s glare at Seungho was about as fierce as a lioness. “Whether you agree or not I can easily lower the price of my safe return if you refuse. I stand above you Mr Yang and Mr Jung in status. I say he’s coming with us.”

Seungho and Byunghee looked like they had been sentenced to a punishment that didn’t make sense. Cheolyong started to dance happily and spin around. “This is great; I’m going with the princess to the palace!”

Jinkyong burst into laughter with a hand covering . Byunghee chuckled while watching them. He pushed Seungho on the arm. “Isn’t this adorable yet somehow strange? Who knew she’d grow fond of such a boy.”

Seungho nodded. “I’m surprised myself,” he agreed finally letting his guard down with a smile. Fortunately for him no one was paying attention.



I know you all are excited about MBLAQ’s comeback. I like their new song and some of the others too (my biases look mighty fine). How did we like this? Mir is now officially in the story yay *throws confetti*