A hostage or a ?

Royal Ransom

A large ship that resembled part of a village but on a boat with blue angled roofs and a huge barrier around it drew close to a beach where it lay anchor. All the crew had gathered on the top level, the barriers keeping them out of sight.

“First mate Takeshi,” one man called out dressed in a more refined uniform compared to the others.

“Bring out first mate Hideo and the prisoner,” one tall man commanded. His first mate bowed and went on his way.

He soon came back dragging a man in front of him who was thrown to the deck face first. “Forgive me captain, I was wrong—“

“Enough,” the Captain kicked him in the side of the face. His head turned to the side on impact. The men winced and then glanced as a woman was pulled up as well. She fell to her knees, long black hair flowing over her shoulders and back.

“Girl,” the man barked. The woman looked up at him blankly. “Are you with this man?”

She spoke to him but it was his turn to appear confused. “She’s Korean Captain!”  One sailor in the back called out. “But that is all I know.”

The captain sighed. He then glanced at Hideo who was cowering where he sat. “You brought a foreign on board our ship?!”

“Captain she was to be shared with all the crew I swear—“

The Captain punched him in the jaw cracking the bone. The girl stared at this in alarm and then kept talking. She stopped when he held his sword pointing at her chin.

“Any more of your weird talk and I’ll make you swallow my blade.” He turned to the crew. They waited in anticipation. Suddenly he stepped forward and with one stabbed Hideo in the chest. He gasped, choked and spluttered on his own blood before falling down dead.

Taking his sword out he used his dead crewman’s cloth to wipe his blade clean. “Take the and make sure she cannot be found alive.”

“Yes sir,” before the woman could protest two men picked her up and dragged her away kicking and screaming. The Captain spat near the corpse. “And throw this disgusting lump of a human to the sharks. “

They pulled the woman to one of the row boats and set off to sea. After a short trip ashore they flung her overboard while she kicked and screamed, her hair flailing making her look like she was mad. When there was that splash they turned their boats and rowed back to their ship, believing sooner or later she would drown.

A man sat on the beach whistling away as his hand made fishing rod was in the water, the string being used with some bait submerged to catch any suspecting fish. He was dressed in a rusty red outfit which had a long tunic and pants with boots that went up mid ankle. His dark hair had been cut so it just stopped at his neck.

“Hmm,” he paused to glance up at the waves which were crashing down towards the golden surface of the sand.  From a distance the shape of something floating caught his eye. What surprised him was when he stood up and saw something further out where the waves weren’t forming. A lady was clinging onto a log between for dear life. The skirt of her hanbok was the light purple.

“Whoa what is she doing out there?” He stabbed the stick in the ground and cast off his shoes. Running deeper into the water he started to swim.  Using all his strength he came up to her, floating in the water beside her.

“Hello, you’re out here rather deep are you alright?”

She was about to say something when her head went under water.  She pushed up and was able to breathe again. “I’m drowning here should I be alright?!” She snapped before coughing.

He rolled his eyes as he grabbed the end of her log. The swim back wouldn’t have taken very long if what he was pulling was rather heavy.

They came back to the beige sand and he lay on his back. “You aren’t rescued very often are you?”

“I haven’t ever had the need to,” she responded as she wringed her hair. “I’ve always been protected.”

“Oh have you now?” He was eyeing her up and down; from the bottom of her skirt to the top of her satin pink top with fine gold stitching on the once white sleeves.

She nodded without having to think it over. “Of course,” slowly she got to her feet. “Now I’ll find a way to repay you for this however it won’t be now. I bid you farewell.” She bowed to him rather formally and then fell over.

“Whoa,” he went to her side. She had fainted. He shook his head. “You probably don’t faint very often do you?” He said to himself. Slinging her on his back he went to retrieve his fishing rod. “The only thing I can do is to take you with me. Since you are dressed like a e one can easily assume you are one.”

He glanced at her face while he was walking into town. It was that of a dignified beauty, chubby cheeks with a defined chin. The ball of her nose sitting down low and giving it a slight point depending on which may her head was turned. She also had long lips, the bottom lip fuller than the top.

“You must have a lot of men seeking you.”

He came to one building where he was greeted by a lady dressed in red from head to toe, her hair placed in an elaborate style held together by flowery hair pieces. She had her eyes and lips painted to give definition. “Mr Yang Seungho, you’ve returned from fishing early. Were you able to catch anything?”

“Just her,” he said laughing as he showed her the unconscious woman. “I would like to return to my room and please just for once do not send in any of your ladies tonight. When she’s awake she can satisfy my desires.”

“Very well sir,” she said giving a slight bow. He smiled and walked away, taking his prize to his room where he laid the bed out for her on the floor and he took residence beside the door in case she did send someone over.

In the room there came a rather loud scream as the woman had woken to see Seungho staring at her.

“Have a nice sleep?”

“W-what are you doing in here?!” She exclaimed sitting up straight away. “What do you want with me?”

He took out his dagger and dropped open.  the edge with the tip of one finger he said. “I would like all your money. After all that’s how I make a living. You pay me to make sure I don’t slit your throat.”

Her face crinkled in disgust. “You’re a thief; a common criminal.”

“More like a businessman who provides a service; the service of a second chance to live.”

She couldn’t believe it. Quickly getting to her feet she hurried to the door when he stretched out a foot and held it shut.  “Not so fast, I don’t plan to kill you. You’re a pretty one. I would like you to repay me for what I did today.”

This caused her to hesitate and she appeared to think. “Very well, I can do that. How much would you like?”

He stood up, almost towering over her. The top of her head reached just up to where his lips sat. She lifted her gaze to him. Seungho was amazed at how composed she was even though he had shown her his knife.

Taking her hand he lifted it up and placed a light kiss on the top. She pulled back with a firm yank. He smirked, her displeasure bringing him much amusement.
“I would like you to let me do more than kiss your hand. To feel your bosom in my grip, have every part of you completely bare without any of that fine fabric draping over you—“

“—enough,” she cut him off. “Your words are lewd; why are you talking to me like you would to a ?!”

“Because you are a ,” Seungho did not prepare for the slap he received. “How else can you pay me back other than by giving me your body?”

Her nostrils were flaring along with her anger. “Did I tell you that I was one? Did I try to seduce you when I woke? Do you think I even know the rates for just a night?!”

Seungho paused. He glanced at her up and down. “Hmm, you’re sure one bothersome e. Maybe,” his mouth dropped open. “Oh, this is brilliant,” his smile showed he was hiding a bit of a sly idea. “I’m your first customer aren’t I?”

“Get out,” she pointed to the door. “Get out of here right now!” He shook his head and folded his arms.

“Not until you pay me back.”

“Not if it means giving myself to a petty thief like you!” She exclaimed reaching for her slipper. Raising it in the air she warned him again. “Leave right now!”

Seungho was out the door and closing it as the shoe left a dull thud on the other side. He breathed out and brushed his sleeves before going down the steps, still in disbelief at what had happened. He'd never met a woman with such a fierce tempement.
 


 

At a tavern close by a man dressed in brown blue clothes with a faint moustache, lightly tanned skin and a slightly round face sat drinking some alcohol at a table alone. Nearby he watched two girls both from noble families he assumed walk somewhere laughing away. The small cup sat in front of him near the opaque bottle. He looked up when Seungho walked over to him and sat down.

“There you are; you were meant to be here earlier. How was the fishing? Were you able to catch some dinner?”

Seungho grabbed the cup against his friend’s protests and drank the rest of the liquid. “I caught something else,” he said wiping his mouth on his sleeve, “a e who nearly drowned.”

His friend was in shock. “You found a e? Out of her room nowhere near her workplace?”

“I am aware of how ridiculous it sounds. However this isn’t all that is strange about her. She won’t pay me back for saving her life. She claims she isn’t one yet she’s dressed like it.”

“What does she look like? Did she tell you her name?”

Seungho shook his head. “No, she hasn’t. Come with me Byunghee and see if you recognise her. You’ve been with many women so maybe she’s a familiar face to you.”

“Oh I doubt it my friend,” Byunghee responded with a chuckle. “You have had your fair share in the past; at least when you could afford it.”

At this Seungho rolled his eyes. That was the problem of their friendship. They knew too much about the other. He slowly stood up from the table. “Well, at least have a look at her for me. If she isn’t from around here she’ll demand to go home. Heaven knows how much she would complain if I leave her here.”

“Very well, maybe after we’ve met I can negotiate on your behalf a price from you on behalf of your good deed.”

Seungho smiled and patted his friend on the back after they shook hands. “It’s great having you around Byunghee. You are magic with women.”

Not the most thrilling first chapter I’ve ever written but I hope we’re intrigued yes? Anyone have any questions or things they would like to say?