Why must he leave?

Royal Ransom

Byunghee was stirred by the sound of someone’s boots dropping lightly against the ground. He lifted his head, the blanket that had been his light cover dropped down to his hips as he watched his friend already dressed in his usual clothing slipping on his shoes without a word.

He yawned and looked over at Cheolyong who was curled up in a ball on his bed. “Were you planning to leave without saying goodbye?”

Seungho hesitated having been caught. He turned to Byunghee and smiled. “How did you know I was going in the first place?”

Byunghee stretched his arm over his shoulders doing it on both sides before twisting his back side to side. “Why else would you stay silent about the general’s offer for a position in the palace? This is not where your soul is attached, plus you would be constrained to a time frame that you find not comfortable. We’ve been here for two days and you have not accepted nor declined.”

Knowing his friend was right, Seungho made a little laugh. “You’re right about that, however I also feel it’s wise to leave now instead of delaying what is inevitable.”

Byunghee read between the lines and then tried to read Seungho’s expression as he packed his blanket into his bag. “You and her… You don’t have to end it like this.”

Seungho stopped for a second, his hand still holding the opening of the bag. “But,” his voice constrained as he said, “But what if she has already gone?”

That was something Byunghee could not answer. He just watched his friend and then sighed shaking his head. “If you leave without at least seeing if she has survived then you’ll be breaking your heart from the sheer half-hearted hope that  she may or may not be alive.”

“Don’t you think I already know that?”

Byunghee glanced at Seungho, sensing remorse from his tone of voice. Seungho turned to his friend and then held out a hand. “Thank you Byunghee, it’s been wonderful spending time with you again.”

He stood up and took Seungho’s hand in his, a firm but short shake before he put his arms around his friend. As they patted backs he whispered to his friend a request for someone else. “Please, just stop by her chambers for a moment.”

Seungho stepped away; he still smiled despite it not being a large grin. “Farewell,” he then took his leave stepping out into the light which had the sun raised.


Jinkyong sat at her dressing table as her lady in waiting brushed back the strands of her long hair which had been tangled since her last brush.

“You didn’t sleep well your majesty,” the servant commented as she separated some hair to get the comb through. “Was your injury troubling you?”

It was only half true. Ever since the incident she’d been struggling with dreams of the entire event; the face of her former fiancée had gotten more twisted into gnarly shapes like a monster every time she dreamt it. Once the person that had been fed Jihoon’s blade was Seungho and she’d woken the next morning crying.

She shook her head. “It’s not important; would I be able to take a short walk?”

Her servant struggled to advise against except she saw the strong determination in the princess’s gaze and decided to allow for it. They rose and got the princess dressed in a hanbok, her satin cloak and slipped her hair into two hair pins one which sat on the crown of her head and the other in the start of the braid which fell down her back.

Outside she picked a walk around a patch of land just within the palace borders. The maple trees’ leaves were browning and starting to sprinkle on the ground with the occasional warm orange or golden yellow leaves.

A slight breeze made her lift her arms to shield her chest. The cold caused aching around the area of her wound which was under firm bandaging.

“Do you normally take walks like this?”

Jinkyong jumped as well as the rest of her entourage at the sudden arrival of Seungho. The counsel who was walking several feet behind her all bumped into each other from the first row suddenly stopping.

She spoke to them, “you may all wait here. This man is an acquaintance of mine.” Before they could listen to someone speak out in protest the pair started walking away.

“Why are you here?” She asked not looking at his face. “Why did you only just come now?”

Seungho swallowed hard. He didn’t expect it to be so hard. When he started to speak his words were almost strung together without spaces. “I didn’t think you were alive since it has been over a day since we heard any news from you. So I went by your chambers and discovered you were on a walk; which is mighty foolish for someone who was stabbed just recently.”

“So what is it that required you seeing me now instead of urgently before?”

“I’m here to say my goodbyes.”

Jinkyong’s eyes widened and she exhaled heavily. “W-what do you mean g-goodbye?” She said staring at him.

Seungho felt his courage melt out of his body through the soles of his feet. She appeared devastated and completely taken back. It took a lot of effort for him to continue. It was like the words were the size of lumps of coal.

“I’m leaving soon. Changsun’s boss offered for us to work here as a reward for saving you… But I cannot accept it. I cannot accept working in a place that I spent so many years detesting because of certain people’s deceiving tongues and accusations. This is not my home, and so I’m leaving. I’m returning to the life I once knew. The life I had before I knew you.”

He kept walking before he realised she wasn’t alongside him. Looking over his shoulder he saw her grab her chest and sink down to the ground and he felt his gut lurch in panic. The counsel who had been watching at a distance started to hurry. Seungho was there quicker; he wrapped an arm around her to lift her back off the dirt. Her face was pale, eyes wide and lips quivering.

“S-Seungho,” she lifted her gaze to him; he was no longer remorseful but now concerned. “Y-you’d better take accountability for your actions if my last breath is drawn, because of your sudden words.”

Seungho felt a surge of emotions rise up and almost choke him. His grip around her shoulders tightened as he started to shake. “Then… You must take accountability your highness… For being the one to have stolen from a criminal the one possession they cannot lose… That is my heart.”

He pulled her closer to him and kissed her firmly as she sat upright in his arms. It grew to fervent kisses which made her counsel cover or avert their eyes as their desire for each other had been woken.

They paused for a moment to catch their breaths. “I love you,” Jinkyong said placing a hand against his cheek. Seungho took her hand in his and moved his face to kiss her palm.

“And I love you Jinkyong.”

They rose together and Seungho stepped away, still holding onto her hand but slowly releasing it as she stepped back towards her party. She watched him, tears falling freely and he had to swallow hard to stop the lump in his throat rising.

She was soon met by her ladies in waiting who gave her comfort with some questions in the back of their minds. Jinkyong lifted her head to see him but he had turned his back to her, his shape disappearing more and more amongst the maple trees.

What she didn’t see was the reason for his angle. Once he had moved to hide his face that was when he could silently lament their parting. Seungho clamped his mouth shut as sobs came. When he had gone a considerable distance away from her he opened his jaw and used the back of his hand to wipe his face.




Ah are we sad? This is short and I... Am not sure why I chose to end the chapter like this.