She's a what?!

Royal Ransom

“So what will you pay me if I recognise her?” the girl sat up in alarm as the door to the room was opened revealing her rescuer and a man with tanned skin and a rather feminine face.

They stared at her and she snapped back. “Haven’t you ever heard of asking before entering?!”

Seungho just raised his eyebrows and then said in a soft voice to Byunghee. “I should have mentioned, she’s quite a spirited one.”

This infuriated her. “How dare you speak like that about I! Today is the first day we’ve met.”

“Anyway Byunghee,” Seungho quickly interrupted before there was a feud. “Do you recognise her?”

Byunghee went over to her. He took her chin in a hand and eyed her face closely. He then tried to touch her chest when she slapped his hand away. He turned back to Seungho, “I would say she’s from a pavilion up north for I’ve never seen her face before.”

“What are you insinuating?”

Seungho looked at her. “That you are a e from north; maybe the Ock Hwan pavilion?”

 “Alright that’s it,” the girl’s abrupt manner was no surprise. “I am not a e! Send me to a physician and he would tell you for a fact that I cannot be!”

Seungho and Byunghee bounced their eyebrows at a lewd thought and this made her give an annoyed ‘hey’.
“It’s true! I am royalty!”

This changed the situation. Seungho glanced at Byunghee who then asked her, his head dropped a little. “You are royalty?” She nodded insistently. “Then who are you?”

“Princess Yi Jinkyong, only daughter to his royal majesty Yi Yeon whose reign stretches over this country like a hen covers her chicks—stop laughing!”

“How many times have you had to recite that line?” Seungho said who was almost in tears from laughter, Byunghee was in stitches.

“It’s not recited! It’s true, his reign is one that stretches far and wide!”

When Byunghee had calmed down he took Seungho out of the room without explanation. Annoyed she slumped down on her bed, sitting with her back straight as though she was from a proper family.

Closing the door Byunghee and Seungho went down the stairs out of the building which was quiet for now to the entrance. They sat on a small wall. “So,” Byunghee began. “Do you believe her?”

“Not really,” Seungho said. “I think all the water she drank may have deluded her mind.”

“Wait,” Byunghee began appearing confused, “Where did you find her?”

“She was in the sea.”

“In the…?”

His friend gave her a nod to show that he agreed. “Ridiculous isn’t it? She was almost drowning; I saved her from being a ghost out at sea.”

Byunghee paused. “Yes but what if she’s telling you the truth? If she is, you can expect a large reward right?”

Seungho agreed and another thought came across his mind. “Ah actually that’s given me an idea. I should really make it a big reward.”

At that Byunghee’s eyes widened. “You don’t mean—“

“—yes that is correct.”  Byunghee clapped him on the shoulder and they both exchanged grins. Seungho pretended to brush dirt off his shoulder. “Since she can’t satisfy my needs as a man why not gain a little extra commission for her being returned in one piece?”

Byunghee smirked. “You are a bad man.”

“That’s why I live this dishonest life of thievery.”

They returned to the room and sat opposite Jinkyong. Byunghee faced her and she eyed him directly, not afraid or wanting to submit.
“Can you show us something that will prove you are indeed from the royal household of the Yi family?”

With a hand Jinkyong revealed something that had been hidden away in her clothing. It was on black and white string with a rectangular piece of black fabric that had embroidery on it.  There were several pink flowers with heart shaped petals fanning out giving it body.

Cautiously she handed it to Byunghee who raised his eyes in disbelief. He passed it to Seungho who was wishing he had bit back some of his words.
“This was on my original hanbok. However some ruffians had me change into these, skimpy assortments so I kept it out of sight for fear they would take away the only proof of my identity.”

Byunghee eyed Seungho who cleared his throat. “It seems that you have spoken the truth.” He stiffly passed it back and she hung it on the front.

“For returning me back; your reward will be great. I’ll make sure that any debts you owe will be paid off immediately.”

Seungho stood up. “We can talk more about rewards when we arrive at the palace; or more rather a large ransom instead.”

Jinkyong’s face fell. She looked at him horrified. “What are you saying? What ransom are you talking about?”

“Byunghee restrain her,” he came behind Jinkyong and easily had the upper hand. Her arms were pinned on her back.

“What is this all about?!” She turned her head to Byunghee her glare venomous. “Un-hand me you rat!”

Seungho took out some rope. “Now we can either do this the hard way or the easy way.” She paused. “Much better,” he continued. “Decide whether you want me to bind you at the arms or the hands?”

“I would rather be thrown back to the ocean than be returned to the palace as a prisoner of a treacherous thief!”

He pretended to wince. “Ouch, you know if I really cared then that would have hurt.”

“Wait Seungho she has a point,” Byunghee relaxed for a moment and she broke free. He stepped back before she could slap him. “If we tie her arms or hands then folks will become suspicious. The last thing you want is someone alerting the police.”

Seungho’s grip tightened on the rope he was refusing to discard. “Well, what would you propose I do then?!”

“I think I have an idea; however you may not like it.”

A man on a dark brown horse cantered down to the beach where he tugged its reins making it halt. Jumping down his black boots made a soft crunch as they hit the sand. His clothing was black, red and orange, all the colours that matched the striped rope on his wide brimmed hat with a tassel. Underneath that hat was a face with a rather well defined jawline, long lips and a rounded nose, long and barely pointing out.

Walking on the sand his eyes scanned the waters that seemed peaceful, the waves small and coming in with less ferocity than earlier on. He took a deep breath in of the salty air and began to make a leave when something glinted close by.

Going over to it he saw something that was gold with glints of different colours. Upon closer look he saw it resembled a rose bush with blossoms of red, green and blue with pearls embedded at ends to flesh it out. Picking it up he saw it was a hair pin.

He hurried back to his horse where he placed the pin in a small bag attached to the saddle. With one quick movement he mounted his horse again and called out one command, “yah.”

Riding back into the nearest village he stopped outside a market and tied his horse up to a wooden post. He went over to one of the stalls that were selling herbs. The merchant jumped when he saw him. “A-ah, I have not done any wrong sir. I-if you’re asking about my business the other day… I was bribed!”

“I am not concerned about that,” the man said to him a little baffled. “Actually it’s about the princess…”

“Oh has she been found?” The merchant’s answer made him want to hit his forehead. He quickly shook his head.

“N-no, she’s still missing. I was wondering if you had perhaps… Seen her?”

The merchant thought and then shook his head. “Sorry I can’t say I have.”

“She may not be in her wedding hanbok anymore.” The man explained. “But she’s about this high,” he held a hand out flat to demonstrate. “Quite slim, her nose is a little pointed and—“

“Changsun!”  Changsun paused. Someone dressed in brown and red orange clothes with a young face, flatter nose, and brown headband came over. “I have been searching everywhere for you.”

Changsun sighed, apologised to the man. “Let me know if you hear or see anything understood? The royal guard will make sure his majesty would repay you for your kindness.”

The man agreed and Changsun walked away with his friend following him. “So have you heard from the—“

“Sanghyun, the timing was improper.” Changsun told him. “I am doing my job as requested by General Jung. Why do you keep following me wherever I go?”

His face fell, the chiding of his friend left a bruise. “Because I want to be like you; I want to have a sword, authority among people and protect the royal family.”

Changsun paused and exhaled through his nose. “I have spoken to the General. He says to wait until they are recruiting which won’t be until summer.”

Sanghyun was grateful to hear the response but still his heart felt heavy. “That’s still a long while away. So there are no openings for now?”

”Sorry,” Changsun said and patted him on the back. “Well, let’s go have a drink or two. Maybe someone at a tavern has seen her and not realised it.” This brightened up Sanghyun’s expression.

“Thanks brother.”

“I’m not your brother,” Changsun pretended to be annoyed but they both smiled as they went to where Changsun’s ride was tied.

 
Jinkyong had them in control through her stubborn will. She was on her bed, arms and legs both crossed, firmly refusing to move. Seungho and Byunghee were kneeling on the edge, trying to keep themselves composed.

“So your plan is to take me to the palace as your hostage and when we arrive you’re to be rewarded and also given ransom for keeping me not only alive but also under your sleazy, watchful eyes?”

Byunghee and Seungho agreed without problem. “Sure yes that’s exactly right.”

“But what if I refuse?”

“Then you can be sent back to the deep,” Seungho stated. Jinkyong’s mouth opened slightly. He stood up. “We’ve wasted enough time by trying to bargain with you.”

Byunghee stood up too, “come along princess, oh wait I can’t call you that.”

“Then how shall you refer to me?”

“Would Jinkyong work?” He asked Seungho who shrugged. “There are probably hundreds of other women with that same name.”

Jinkyong was about to open in protest at being spoken to informally but Seungho jumped in before the chance happened. “And what should she call us then?”

“What are your family names?”

They were surprised by her question. After telling her she seemed to consider something. “Alright, then I shall refer to you as Mr Yang and Mr Jung.”

Seungho gave her a funny expression. “I’m kidnapping you yet you want to speak to us like we’re officials?”

“It means that when I return home it will be on clear terms of business partners which is what we are.”

Byunghee and Seungho saw sense now and nodded. “Very well,” Seungho started. “However there is one more thing we should tell you. You’re going to have to dress like that from now on until we return.”

Jinkyong’s refusal rang clear in her voice. “I under no circumstances will dress like one of those… Those, those women; I will not have it!”

“Whether you will have it or not,” Seungho pulled her up by the arm. “If we’re to bring you home without raising suspicion or having you taken out of our hands without warning then you have to appear like one of them.”

"I told you before," she said with her face already showing clear disapproval. "I would rather castrate myself than pose as a money hungry !"

"Maybe that would be better." Seungho murmured so that only Byunghee could hear. However she appeared to have caught the gist of what he said. Her nose turned up as she ignored them both, folding her arms. Byunghee glanced at Seungho and then whispered something to him. Seungho didn't seem sure but after further persuasion he nodded.

"Jinkyong come with me," he pulled her to the side where Seungho wouldn't get involved. They went around a corner out of sight. "Unfortunately, we don't have much of a choice here. You're a valuable item. The whole kingdom would find you the moment you appear to them in your fine garments. Please listen to Seungho. Do not forget that you owe him for what he did for you?"

Jinkyong peered around the corner where Seungho kept sharpening his blade, not interested in their conversation. She went back to Byunghee, a change of heart becoming obvious.



Are we liking this story? Btw just for a clarification Byunghee is G.O, Changsun is Lee Joon and Sanghyun is Thunder. Mir’s real name will be used but you’ll have to wait and see.