Is it her?

Royal Ransom

“Redraw your impulsive decision right now!” Jinkyong called startling Seungho. He had been tiptoeing up to the tied up horses until she had exclaimed. Turning around he motioned to Byunghee for help and he just covered . This upset her and she tried to pull it free but he kept shut.

Seungho sighed out, shook his head and then gently cooed to the horses, patting them on the neck as he started to loosen the ropes tying them. Jinkyong tried to talk over the muffle however she just made a lot of unclear noises.

“Byunghee,” he said when he walked over to their hiding spot with their rides. “Remind me of why we’re taking her with us.”

Byunghee only just freed Jinkyong when she gave him a piece of her mind. “If you even dare think of abandoning me on the side of the road well you have another thing coming!”

“Please can we forget about getting a reward?” Seungho groaned. “She’s being too much of a burden.”

His friend just looked at her in confusion and then suddenly whispered something. Whatever it was it made the outspoken princess shut her lips and come over to Seungho. He raised his eyebrows at Byunghee who just winked.

“We’ll have to gather some supplies,” Seungho told them as they came to the edge of the nearest town after hiding their stolen horses. “Meet back here before the sun sets.”

“So we’re splitting up?”

Seungho paused. He checked Jinkyong as though he was sceptical of something. In a flash he grabbed her by the wrist and pulled her after him. Byunghee watched, made a small laugh and then went about on his own.

Jinkyong hated being dragged so she dug her heels into the dirt. “Why are you taking me with you I wanted to go with Mr Jung.”

“No you wanted to find a way to distract him so you could escape.”

“What makes you think I would do—“

Seungho spun around and stared straight into her eyes. For once she did not have the upper hand with him. With Byunghee gone it was just the two of them. Holding her breath slightly she lowered her head so she didn’t feel his burning glare.

“That is why you wanted to go with him is it not?”

Jinkyong denied this. “You misunderstand me Mr Yang. Why would I run away when I know you could find me, chase me down and then end my life?”

“Hmm,” he murmured glancing around at their surroundings. When the tension had eased a little Seungho spoke again. “We’re getting some food and other essentials while we’re here. For three days we’ll be riding. Do you think you can manage?”

She said nothing. He took it as a yes. “It doesn’t matter if you don’t trust me or not. You’re only compensation for a bigger payment at the end of this.” She didn’t even flinch despite these words degrading her.

Sanghyun blinked while in slow step and nearly fell over. He was almost out of energy from walking while his older, more athletic companion was walking at a sturdy speed, eyes alert. “Changsun, why are we here? Didn’t we already search two towns already? They have not seen her.”

Changsun stopped to speak to a merchant ignoring Sanghyun. “Why would this place be any better? Do you think that she’s likely to be here?”

“Thank you,” Changsun thanked the man and quickly walked on with a confused Sanghyun just following.

“Why aren’t you listening to me?”

“Sanghyun,” Changsun finally addressed him. “We have proof that she is near here remember?” His friend remembered the hair pin that had been tucked up his friend’s sleeve. “There is this town and there is one closer, less than a mile. When we’ve covered all ground here we’ll go to the next town and then—“

“—then I’ll die,” Changsun raised his eyebrows at Sanghyun. “I’m serious, I’m hungry and I’m tired.” Changsun raised his head to glance at the sky. The sun was no longer high up and on its way to descending.  He glanced around and spotted a building which was called Min-Hwang Inn. Going through his pockets he took out a small draw string bag.

“Here,” to Sanghyun’s surprise he gave him some money on a string. “Book yourself a room. I’ll come at sunrise for you.”

Sanghyun didn’t know what to say. He stood there dumbfounded with the generosity of his friend in his palm and the guilt of knowing he could easily go there and have a rest, some alcohol and a good meal while Changsun kept searching.

“Umm,” he hesitated. “Maybe for a little bit longer I can stay and…” He trailed off. His eyes went to a woman standing near a man while they were looking at shoes. She appeared to say something to him but the man didn’t agree although it was hard to tell with the sight of his face being obstructed by a post.

“Changsun,” Sanghyun patted Changsun on the arm. “I-isn’t that her?”  Changsun glanced around as the woman just started to leave. “Didn’t you say she was rather beautiful?”

For a moment, Changsun’s mind seemed to waver. “I doubt that it is really her; but we can trail them. Maybe she knows something.” They left the stand they were at and quickly hurried around to the other side where the woman who in clearer view looked like she was a e was being taken around by a man who held her hand firmly.


Seungho and Jinkyong met up with Byunghee before the three of them went to the horses. “We brought her some makeup,” Seungho stated when they were asked about their purchases.

“More like you stole them,” Jinkyong muttered making Seungho frown at her. Byunghee mounted his horse first and held a hand to Jinkyong.

“My lady, would you like a ride?”

She realised what he meant and immediately declined. “Excuse me, where’s a litter?”

“You want a litter?”

“Yes, I refuse to ride on the back of a horse, it’s much too uncomfortable.”

Seungho who was growing tired of her attitude placed a foot in the stirrup and mounted the other ride. “Well, it’s either this or you walk your highness.”

Jinkyong scowled as he said this jeeringly. Byunghee dismounted and walked over to her. “My lady, would you like to ride in front of me? I’ll make sure you stay comfortable and we can have regular stops.”

Seungho rolled his eyes at this display of honeyed words. However it did the trick. Jinkyong’s expression softened, her eyes focusing on his tanned hand. To Seungho’s surprise she took it and let Byunghee place his hands on her waist and hoist her into the saddle. He jumped up beside her and asked her something which she nodded to.

“Seungho we’re ready to go.”

He just nodded and clicked with his tongue to make them go. Jinkyong seemed a little unbalanced on the mount but Byunghee always steadied her if she looked as though she would fall.

“What is it like living in the palace?”

Seungho who had been focusing on where they were going, past trees, fields and hills turned his head to Byunghee who had started a conversation with their guest.

“It is comfortable enough,” she told him with a proud tone. “Maids to wait on, the counsel wanting to please your every whim so your father’s wrath won’t fall on them. It is quite a wonderful life that the heavens blessed me with.”

Seungho pretended to gag when they were not watching. “That is good, so do you have siblings?”

“Yes Mr Jung, only an older sister,” she said. “She’s married and living in Mapo.”

 Byunghee looked surprised. “Wow it must be fate, for I have an older sister as well…”

“—is the rumour that’s been moving around the place true?”

Seungho’s random question caught them off guard. Byunghee was curious too. Jinkyong’s mirth faded away. She bit her tongue and kept silent. Seungho continued on. “You’re getting married… Or you were meant to anyway.”

“Is that true?” Byunghee asked in surprise. It was the first time he'd heard the rumour.

Jinkyong nodded after some deliberation in her mind. “That is so. I was meant to be married. However…” Seungho urged her to continue even though Byunghee was happy to leave it be.

“The night before the wedding… Someone took me from my home. I had some tea before bed and felt really strange. The next thing I know I was in a dark place and barely able to breathe. They let me out and I realised I was in a sack. I asked where my lady in waiting was… They said she was dead.”

Byunghee felt sorry for her and patted her on the back. “I’m sorry to hear that. That explains why you are not in the palace.”

“You really are strange.”

“Excuse me Mr Yang?!”

“What?” Seungho questioned opening the chance for another argument to begin. “How can you marry someone you don’t love? Wouldn’t they just use you for physical benefits?”

This got her laughing. Seungho looked at her in confusion. He had no idea what had lit up her face to make open in a bright smile, dimples exposing and eyes shrinking but still appearing cute. Eventually she calmed down enough to say. “Isn’t it hypocritical coming from someone who sleeps with a dozen women in a month?”

It was now Byunghee’s turn to guffaw at Seungho who shut his mouth and in a huff turned his head, his pride hurt by her remark. Jinkyong didn’t gloat or smirk at his humiliation, for she didn’t have to laugh at it. She had gotten her justice by seeing his pride crushed by the tongue of a well-bred woman.



Thanks for waiting everyone I hope we are amused by how it’s going. Also there's a competition you might like to enter so here's the link for it.