Our first Breakfast

Unexpected

 

 

After we've finished our meals, he refused my offer to do the dishes, but instead just put them in the sink. He mumbled something about doing them tomorrow because he was tired. Instead he headed to the living room. As I expected, a fancy expensive looking black couch, a fluffy grey carpet, black dresser and coffee table adorned the room. On the wall, there was a huge TV hanging. There were no pictures, no plants, no chaos to be discovered. It didn't feel like it belonged to him, it was the most impersonal room I have ever seen. I wanted to ask why there weren't any pictures but I kept my mouth shut since it's not my business anyway. He was already seated but when he saw me standing awkwardly, he stood up again. He gestured me to follow him and disappeared in a dark corridor.
I hurriedly followed his steps and saw that he opened a door to a room.
'This is an empty room, you can use it to spend the night. I'll bring you some covers.' He said pointing to another room.
'Nono, just tell me where it is and I'll get them myself, you have already done enough for me' I said scratching the back of my head.
He chuckled and pointed out to me where to find them, after that he turned around to leave the room.
'W-Wait, how come you speak English fluently?'
'Haha.. Canada..' He answered without bothering to turn around or give an explanation.


I decided not to think about it, so i went to the other room to get some covers. Let me see..hmm..the closet next to the window..aah check. There it is!.  I opened the door and indeed found what  I was looking for. As I pulled a woolen cover out, I heard something fall. I looked down to see a light blue paper on the floor. Thinking it was just a recipe of something, I crouched down to pick it up. Once I had it in my hand, I realized I wouldn't understand anything since it was written in Chinese characters. However on the left corner, there was a logo and underneath,  there was something written in Chinese but also in English. Hospital for Cardiovascular Diseases and Hyptelension. Not knowing what to do I just kept staring at it. Suddenly I heard his voice from the living room. 'Did you find it?'
'Y-Yes, found it!' I put the paper back on its original spot and closed the door. Then I went to the living room.
'I'm very tired so I will go sleep now.' He nodded and we exchanged good nights before I exited the room. As soon as I had reached the bed and my head had touched the pillow, I had fallen asleep. Indeed I was exhausted.

The morning after, I woke up early. My phone's screen showed it was 07:30 in the morning. I pushed the covers away and looked around the room. Again there was nothing extra in the room, except for the necessities.
I should change first, but where did I put my suitcase? Ah right, it's still at the entrance.
I opened the door to go get it, but as soon as I wanted to take a step, my foot bumped into something. I looked down and saw my suitcase. He must have put this here when I was sleeping..
I decided that the least I could do, was to make breakfast for him. After I got into different clothes, I looked outside. I saw a flashy banner a few blocks away, indicating there was a supermarket.
What should I make for breakfast? What would he usually eat in the morning? What if he doesn't have breakfast at all?
I pushed these thoughts away and walked towards the door to put my shoes on. Hanging on the wall, I found a keys' rack. There were two key chains. After analyzing them I found out they were the same. i took one and headed out.
The fresh morning air greeted me as I walked towards the super market. I looked around to remember my way back home. Arrived at the supermarket, I was astonished by the flashy and colorful ads. I hope I can find what I need..I entered the store and noticed there were quite some people in the market for such an early time as this. Strolling past the shelves filled with food, everything attracted my attention. Things I have never seen before, and still don't know how you should eat them. Enormous amounts of cans and jars, and an immense diversity of rice. However that wasn't on my list. I wanted to make pancakes, so I looked for the milk and the other ingredients. After a couple of minutes I was done shopping and I was standing outside the super market again. I looked at my left and it somehow looked familiar to me.
But i came from the other side..How come this looks familiar?
It was like I had said the magical words in my mind because as I wanted to head back home, a familiar voice called my name.

No No No No please No..Please don't let it be him...


'Leila!! I know you heard me! Stop walking! Leila...' The voice sounded in despair.
I knew who it was so i gripped my groceries bag tightly and started to run as fast as I could, hoping i remembered the road properly.
'Don't run away!! Wait..'
I heard steps get quicker behind me and I put in my fastest sprint to escape this situation. Luckily after two blocks I didn't hear his voice neither his steps anymore. Although I didn't see him when I turned around, i refused to stop running. I only stopped when i was back at Fan's place.
Taking the elevator and entering the house quickly, hoping the guy didn't follow me here.
As soon as I closed the door I fell to the floor, gasping for air.  It was him! GODDAMNIT IT WAS HIM.. That's why it looked familiar, I was there yesterday..My thoughts were interrupted when I heard some shuffling steps inside the house. Fan had woken up. I stood up and quickly wiped my tears away. He was standing in the kitchen, drinking a cup of water. When he heard me enter he turned around to face me.
'Good mor-    What's wrong ?' His expression changed from a smile to a worried one.
'huh? Nothing..nothing at all.. I'm fine!' I forced a smile and put the groceries on the counter. Wanting to change the subject, I told him I'll make pancakes for breakfast. He smiled and left the kitchen to go shower.

I listened to this song as I wrote this, you may want to listen to it as you read :)


The mission was to make pancakes, but I could swear that the hunt for a bowl took me longer than the making of the pancakes themselves. Following the steps my mom once taught me, I made the batter for the pancakes. This time I could easily find the fry pan, and I started to cook the pancakes. Soon the kitchen was filled with the delicious scent of fresh pancakes. I also made orange juice. I don't know why I was doing my best like this, maybe it was the fact that I was trying to forget my encounter with that . Breakfast was all finished but still no trace of Fan. Instead of just wandering around I started doing the dishes of yesterday. When I was halfway he entered the kitchen, with a towel around his neck. He started drying his damp hair with the towel as he looked around. 'Wooaahh, did you make all of this yourself? he asked, and I nodded shyly in response.
'Stop doing those dishes, quickly come here, let's eat!' He said as he sat down.
'I'll just finish it and come..' I heard him stand up from his chair and some footsteps. Suddenly I felt him grab my hands and put down the plate I was holding. He wiped my hands with the towel he was holding and dragged me along. 'Let's eat! I'm hungry' He let go of my hands and immediately started eating after sitting down. I knew I shouldn't feel this way, but I felt a blush  spread across my face. I shrugged it off and started eating breakfast.
After he was finished, he put down his fork and looked at me. 'So, why are you in China?'
Taken aback by the question, I just stared at him. 'You don't have to answer if you don't want to.' He said shrugging his shoulders.
'I..umm..I' I started my sentence fidgeting with my fork 'I came to visit..someone.'
'And you didn't find them?' he said with questioning look on his face.
I shook my head. 'I did find..him..but-but' I felt my hands starting to hurt from the way I was squeezing the fork. I looked down at my hands, and felt him take the fork out of my hands. 'He cheated on you?' He replaced the fork with his warm hands. I nodded and felt my tears starting to fall down again. 'Sshhh, please don't cry..' He let go of my hand and went to get tissues, he handed them to me and I started to wipe my tears away with it. 'He's not worth your tears, Leila' It was the second time I heard him say my name, but this time it sounded different. 'Look at me, now breath in deeply.....and breath out.. You're going to be alright.. You hear me?' His soothing voice made me somehow start to believe that I'll be alright. I dried my last tears and tried to smile. He responded with a smile and stood up. 'I'll go get changed for work, you can rest or head out to see the city, but be careful!'
'What do you do for a living?' I wondered what kind of a job would suit a person like Fan.
'I'm..I'm an actor..' He said shyly, avoiding eye contact.
Indeed a person like you shouldn't have an office job. We should be thankful for beautiful humans like you, who bring happiness to our hearts.
'That's so awesome!!'
'Really?' He scratched the back of his head
'Of course! You should go now, and tell me more when you come back.'
After he got changed, he put his coat and shoes on. I handed him his keys and bag and walked with him to the door. 'Thank you my assistant, I'll bring dinner with me' He smiled and his eyes turned into cute crescents. I waved and closed the door after he left. Leaning on the door, I put my hand on my heart.

 

What is this? Did my heart skip a beat?

 

 

 

 

 

 

==========================================

A/N

Hello there my dear readers, thanks again for reading

Feel free to comment and subscribe

Love

tumblr_n64w9ujDJD1rz8onyo2_400.gif