Soundless Sleep

To Raise a Pet

Based on Chapter 78

Lay was a forgetful dog. On lazy afternoons—when there was nothing better to do—he’d take long naps, but often in his human form simply because he forgot to morph. Sometimes, however, he’d be very tired, and the transformation automatically takes place. On days like those, Lay slept peacefully—so much so that it was soundless. You can’t imagine how worried I get when that happens—Lay was an old dog, after all. Stealthily, I’d sneak up to him and gently lay a hand on his back.

 

“Nim, what are you doing?” Se Hun—ever the stupid cat—asks his owner, his voice a bit too loud and a bit too imposing for her liking. The young cat, on the other hand, wants to laugh at the scene in front of him: his Lay-hyung had fallen asleep on the floor (again), and there was Nim, with her frizzy hair and her distraught expression (which Se Hun notes as looking like a fish out of water), placing a hand on Lay’s back.

 

“Shh, shut up, Se Hun,” she scolds him. Her haughty cat sticks his tongue out in retaliation, and proceeds to going back to his business (of finishing Nim’s Tetris Game; ironically, Se Hun had taken a liking to the game, and had beaten Nim’s pathetically low ‘high score’). Nim shakes her head, finding amusement at her cat’s bratty attitude and unexpected addiction for Tetris, and then returns her gaze to her old dog.

 

She laughs to herself (and she hears Se Hun at the back mumbling something about his owner being weird), feeling the gentle rise and fall of Lay’s body.

 

And Lay—silly, old Lay—with his eyes still closed, pretends to stay asleep. And it’s adorable how he thinks his act is able to fool me.

 

Because behind him, his white and brown tail wags happily—nothing like the stillness of the rest of his body.

 

“Nim?” Lay yawns, having woken up and returned to his human form. He rubs his sleepy eyes.

 

“Yep?”

 

“Do you want to take a nap?”

 

Nim laughs loudly at his offer. “But didn’t you just take a nap?”

 

Lay flashes her a lopsided, drowsy smile. “I can take another one, if you’d like.”

 

Nim laughs again—louder and livelier than ever (she hears another snarky comment from Se Hun; she writes a mental note to herself to punish the damn cat later) “Okay, if you say so. But don’t forget to…shift forms.” Nim shakes her head, smiling delightedly as the soft touch of Lay’s brown, velvety hair tickles her neck.

 

He had forgotten to change again. 

 


 

Author's Note: 

 

Hey, everyone! I'm back with another chapter of To Raise A Pet and this time, the narration was done from Nim's POV! Hooray! In other news, I just completed my Se Hun mini-series/birthday tribute called Oh Se Hun's Love Story in Three ChaptersJust click the link to check it out! It was fun writing it :-) 

 

Anyway, guess what? I'll be introducing some new but strangely familiar characters next chapter, so stay tuned for the update! 

 

Thank you for reading, subscribing and commenting!