My Old Dog

To Raise a Pet

I literally cried when I was writing this chapter. I just, huhu. I feel like this is what my dog went through during his final week 

:( 

Based on Chapter 2 of My Young Cat and My Old Dog. 

P.S. Comments are loved! <3 

P.P.S. In case anyone is wondering, I've chosen the "Beagle" as Lay's breed just because. 


 

My hair used to be black. It’s a pretty nice shade of brown now. But really, all that it is, is a reminder of how little time I have left in this world.

 

Nim is my master.

 

I’ve been with her ever since she was young—ever since I, myself, was young. I was a wee puppy when I met her, and she a prepubescent girl. The farm was a nice place to grow up in—having spent our days in the small lake behind her house or at the field, helping out during harvest season, or at the barn where Nim loved to milk the cows.

 

I accompanied her to Seoul when she went to college. I was with her on nights that she stayed up so she could study for an exam, or on nights when she felt homesick. There were also nights when she was anxious about getting back to work to help a poor puppy or parrot or turtle with his therapy. I was also with her on the night she brought home a new member of the family: Se Hun.

 

Being with Nim was something so normal for me, it was like breathing.

 

However, these days, Nim has been busy. There’s always a cat that had an accident or a dog that had early signs of whatever fatal disease. Nim has been on call these days, and lately, all I see is her back. Even during bedtime, when I’m usually right beside her, Nim isn’t there because she’s at the clinic, doing an emergency surgery.

 

So much has changed in 15 years. And it’s not just Nim. I feel myself grow weary every day, and it scares me so much that the moment I would have to leave could come at any day, at any time.

 

One thing has been constant, though.

 

“Lay, Se Hun, I’m home!” Nim’s voice resonated as she opened the door to her small apartment. Work had been hectic today: many pet owners had come to have their pets checked-up and vaccinated. Nim was dead-tired, but her voice was loud and clear when she entered—just as it had always been whenever she came home from work.

 

The reason was simple: there, by the shoe shelf sat her old dog, Lay, with his tail wagging behind him. It had always been like this. In Gurye, in Seoul. When she was young, when she was a university student. And even now, when she was working.

 

Lay always, always waited for her arrival.

 

Nim smiled and sauntered forward, bending down to pat Lay’s head. In a second, he had transformed into his human self, and gave her a gentle hug.

 

“Welcome home, Nim. I missed you.”

 

Have you noticed, Nim, that my hugs have been growing limper? I try my best to give you the same bear hug as before, but lately, my arms just feel so weak. I’m glad, though, that my tail is still energetic. It reminds me of our youth and how I will always do my best for you.

 

I have a dream, Nim. This may come so suddenly, but it has been in my mind for a long time now.

 

I have a dream, that one day, I will be loved by your child. It’s impossible though, I know. I won’t reach that age. I won’t see you get married and have your own family and be the best mother in the world.

 

My dream is impossible, I know.

 

Nim knew that Lay’s hugs were looser every day. And she knew why. So all she could do for him was to squeeze him tight and bury her head between his neck and shoulders and pat his head and gently scratch that space behind his ears.

 

“I missed you, too, Lay.”

 

All she could do for him was to love him just like the first time.