My Young Cat

To Raise a Pet

Did you read the foreword? I hope you did. It's super long, but it pretty much explains why this fic exists. 

 

This chapter is based on Chapter 1 of My Young Cat and My Old Dog 

 


 

Dear Nim, I know I’m always a handful at times.

 

There was that time you scolded me for scratching you when I meant to simply paw at you. My claws were too long then, and when you tried t them, I acted so childishly.

 

 

“Se Hun, stay still!”

 

Se Hun continued to whimper, having reverted to his animal form. Nim had him securely against her chest, her left arm wound tightly around his cream, furry stomach and paws, while the other hand firmly held the clipper in front of his claws. Se Hun wriggled, pawing at the clipper as it approached him.

 

“It’s not going to hurt for goodness’ sake!” his owner tried to soothe him, but the annoyed tone of her voice did nothing to appease his fear.

 

“Nim, let me,” Lay said as he entered the room. He bent down to their level and laid his hands out for Nim and Se Hun. His dimpled smile was all that the young cat needed to assure him that everything was going to be okay.

 

And I know that you hate it whenever I climb onto your bookshelf. I always knock a few books down whenever I morph mid-air. Secretly, though, I really do that just to annoy you. You’re the cutest when your frizzy hair is even frizzier because of your anger.

 

Nim stretched Se Hun’s cheeks, pinching them and shaking them. “How many times did I tell you not to change mid-air? Hard-bound doesn’t mean they’ll last forever, you know.”

 

Se Hun took Nim’s fingers and uncurled them, laying them on his red cheeks. “You’re so warm, Nim,” he grinned at her, his cheeks swollen from all her pinching.

 

But I hope I make it up to you during bedtime. No matter how blankets you have on, your feet always seem to be so sensitive to the cold. It’s a good thing that I’m here to keep them warm.

 

Tonight was Se Hun’s first night at Nim’s place after his two-week long rehabilitation in the clinic. The word ‘home’ was new to him, but this unfamiliar place seemed cozy and fuzzy and he was glad that this was what home felt like. When it was time for sleep, Nim converted her pastel green sofa into a bed. Lay, Nim’s pet dog, returned to his animal form and took his place beside her, settling on her blanket. Se Hun lay on Nim’s other side.

 

The young cat woke up in the middle of the night. He wasn’t accustomed to having an owner, much less having a place to sleep in. The lonely nights, however, were something he grew used to. Having a comfortable cushion beneath was just beyond weird.

 

Se Hun stood up, and leapt downwards, landing gracefully on Nim’s wooden floor. He wandered around her tiny studio-apartment, memorizing every single detail, his only source of light being the moon that peered through Nim’s thin curtains. When at last he knew every nook and cranny of her humble abode, he returned to her bed, this time laying beside Nim’s old dog. He still could not sleep, however, because there was something that was just not right. He looked at Nim’s slumbering face: this was the face of his rescuer, his new owner. All he could think of her was how odd she looked. Her hair was swept in all directions, and her nose and eyebrows crinkled in her sleep. Se Hun began to examine her, searching for what made her feel uncomfortable. His gaze locked onto her feet which couldn’t seem to stop shivering despite having been securely wrapped with her warm blanket. The young cat leapt up to his feet and silently strolled to his new master’s feet, lying down beside her quivering limbs. He snuggled against it, rubbing his cheeks and whiskers against her fuzzy blanket. Immediately, her shivering stopped and Se Hun looked at Nim’s face and saw a smile.

 

That was his first night at his new master’s place.

 

If that’s not enough, well, I have other good points!

 

I’m number one at aegyo and cuteness! Okay, so, actually, I’m at the age where I’m kind of growing out of it, but you always seem to like it, so I’ll totally do it if you want me to do gwiyomi or bbuing bbuing or whatever. Even though I’m just a domestic cat, I’m cuter than any of those expensive, purebreds!

 

And, and I’m always healthy! Of course, except for that one time, when I was in rehab back at your clinic. But ever since then, I’ve never been sick! You never have to worry about me when it comes to health. Then again, you might never have to worry since you’re a veterinarian, and you can cure any sickness!

 

So, like, I said, I have a lot of good points, right? I mean, they’re enough to cancel out all my stupidities and my spoiled and rotten attitude, right?

 

Right?

 

Right…Nim?

 

I, I know I’m always a handful, but please, please, don’t give up on me, Nim.

 

You’re all I have.