Boxes

To Raise a Pet

Based on Chapter 27

 

Dear Nim,

 

I’ve realized that humans are very fond of this shiny box they call a computer.

 

You’re no exception.

 

It’s annoying how you never seem to notice me whenever you’re in front of it. I know, I know, you always tell me that it was for work, that you were updating the vaccine catalogue or abandoned animals catalogue.  Sometimes, though, I see that you’re only playing that falling blocks game, and it makes me mad how you chose that over me.

 

Honestly, why are humans so fond of those shiny boxes? They seem so boring!

 

Lay-hyung told me to that I should check out those computer thingies, though, just so I could understand why they always had your attention.

 

Se Hun pursed his lips, hearing the clicking of keys on the keyboard for the very first time. It was an unfamiliar sound, but he knew right away, that he would not like it.

 

It had Nim’s attention, after all.

 

Don’t laugh, okay! Because I am a cat and have no idea what I’m doing!

 

Don’t laugh, okay?!

 

Because, I admit, I haven’t been practicing my writing and my reading and I just don’t get your weird human writing system :(((

 

“Ugh, what are these even?!” he yelled, pounding on the keys.

 

Everything about this human box thing was wrong, Se Hun thought: it was too bright for its own good (BLINDING. BLINDINGLY BRIGHT.), the human writing system looked too small (as if it wasn’t hard to understand in the first place), and he had no idea how to use the button thingies to make a legit sentence (WHY COULDN’T HE SEPARATE THE WORDS FROM EACH OTHER?!).

 

“I DON’T GET THIIIIIISSSSSSS,” he whined, cheek plopping on the table. He couldn’t understand why Nim was so drawn to this box. There was nothing special about it.

 

I don’t get you, Nim. That computer thingy has all your attention, but it’s so stupid. It’s just a box, Nim. It’s a stupid, stupid box. There’s nothing good about it. Why are you always in front of it? Why do you always neglect me when you’re in front of it?

 

“It’s not that hard to use, Se Hun, see?” Lay beckoned the young cat. When the latter had given up on trying to learn how to use the computer, the old dog had sat on the empty chair, meaning to teach his feline friend about the human invention.

 

“But, Hyung,“ Se Hun whined, pawing at his sunbae, “You’re a great reader. I can hardly recognize Hangul—let alone read or use it.”

 

Lay gave the cat a light knock on the head. “And whose fault is that, hmm?” he teased, pinching Se Hun’s cheeks. “Nim has taught you everything that she could, it’s your responsibility now to improve your skills.”

 

The younger pouted, realizing that no matter what he said, it would just come out as a poor excuse for his lack of literacy. “Ok, fine. I’ll practice reading and writing and then come here again to challenge this computer thingy!” With that, the young cat stomped off, looking for the reading materials Nim had given him.

 

Lay could not help but laugh to himself. “It’s not a big boss battle, Se Hun-ah.”

 

Guess what, Nim? I’ve been practicing reading and writing, and today, I shall conquer that computer thingy and finally move on! I’ll defeat this computer thingy and prove to you that it’s not match for my genius!

 

Nim entered her apartment, having gone from the café across the street, just in time to see her stupid cat jumping for joy in front of the computer. Her eyes immediately widened: what the hell was Se Hun doing to her computer?! She knew that with his illiteracy and short temper, something horribly bad was bound to happen. With a palpitating heart, Nim ran forward, practically gliding onto the clean, shiny floor that Lay had so painstakingly cleaned, and tackled Se Hun to the ground. The action shocked the young cat, causing him to instantly transform into his animal form.

 

“SE HUN, WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO MY COMPUTER?!” she screamed, taking him in her hands and shaking him. Although she loved Se Hun to bits, the damn cat was too curious, too demanding and too nosy for his own good. She was afraid that he might have deleted the excel file she had left opened before leaving for work.

 

Slowly, Se Hun morphed back into his human form, sniffling and pouting and rubbing his watery eyes. “Why are you screaming at me, Nim?” he mewled. He hadn’t meant to make her mad. What was it that made her mad?

 

Nim blinked, realizing what she had done. Guiltily, she reached out to him, wanting to cup his cheeks, but her offended cat swatted her hand away and crossed his arms. His claws slightly grazed her hand, but all Nim cared about was getting her cat to forgive her.

 

“Se Hun, I didn’t mean to—“

 

“I was only trying to understand you,” he said, voice cracking.

 

“Bwoh?”

 

He turned to her and clutched her tie-dyed shirt, “You’re always in front of that thing,” he pointed an accusing finger at her computer, “And you never seem to notice me when you’re in front of it. I don’t get you, Nim! What’s so fun about using that thing? Lay-hyung told me to try, but I don’t get it, Nim! It’s so stupid. You’re so stupid!” he cried, pawing at her. He had never felt so frustrated in his life. He had finally conquered that stupid box, and what did he get? Nim’s anger, that’s what.

 

Hearing her stupid cat, Nim wanted to laugh. She peeked at the computer screen where big, red letters said ‘Next level.’ Se Hun had been playing her game of tetris, won the round, and was about to proceed to the next one when she had come in. Well, looks like her cat wasn’t so stupid after all.

 

“Se Hunnieeeeeee,” she cooed, squeezing and stretching his cheeks. “I’m sorry. I didn’t know. I’m sorry, Se Hunnie.”

Se Hun harrumphed, but hugged her nonetheless, taking in all of Nim’s scent: she smelled of fresh air and afternoon tea. “Okay, because I love you and you love me, I forgive you, Nim.” Se Hun pulled away and gave her a serious look. “But promise me that whenever I call you, and you’re doing something with your stupid computer, at least take a look at me. I won’t ask you to do any favors; I get that you’re busy, but at least heed my call, Nim. But, but, if you don’t look at me because you’re doing nothing but that stupid game—which I have finally conquered by the way—you have to give in to me! No matter what!”

 

Nim’s lips quirked disbelievingly. One part of her was more than annoyed at her stupid cat’s overly demanding attitude, but another part can’t help but gush over how cute he looked whenever he insisted on something. With his eyebrows furrowed and lips curved into a deep frown, Se Hun was more childish than the weeping kids who brought their sick pets to the clinic (at this, Nim remembers one account of a child who had accidentally squished his hamster).

 

“Now you’re being unfair,” she said, showing no signs of her desire to just squeeze Se Hun into a giant bear hug.

 

“I am not.”

 

“Yes, you are.”

 

“Okay, maybe I am. But you have to understand that I just love you so much, Nim,” Se Hun wraps his arms around her again, and nuzzles her neck, “And you know how we cats are; we need your attention. I’ll die without your attention,” he emphasized.

 

Nim sighs, but returns his hug. Nim knew that even after all these months, Se Hun still had a long way to go before he could completely forget his past. He needed Nim. He needed all of her so he could forget and move on. (Nim also wondered what she did wrong to own the world’s brattiest, manipulative cat) “You stupid cat. You’re too demanding for your own good, but okay, because I just love you so much,” (Nim rolls her eyes), “I’ll do my best. Having said that, however,” Nim pulls away and pinches his cheeks, “Don’t be too much of a brat. If you find me playing games, cut me some slack. I work day in and day out for the three of us. At least give me time to myself. After that, I’ll happily devote myself to you, arasso?”

 

Se Hun pouts at her words, but accepts them anyway, because he knows that Nim isn’t his. Nim was human, after all. “Okay, okay. I concede. But right now,” Se Hun flashes her a Cheshire grin, tightens his grip around her waist, and pushes her down to the floor. Nim’s frizzy hair flies in all directions—strands tickling his face. The feeling is soft and fuzzy and pleasant and heavenly. “You’re all mine, Nim!” he giggles, relishing her warmth.

 

“You’re lucky you’re cute,” she mumbles before returning his gesture.

 

“Am I missing something?” Lay says as he walks in on his owner and hoobae. He smiles amusedly at the scene.

 

Nim looked up at her dog, his image upside down. “Lay! Come join us for a group hug!” she offers, reaching her arms out for him to take. The old dog smiles and bends down low enough so she could place her hands behind his ears and rub them. Nim combs through his brown fringe.

 

“I’m afraid Se Hun has taken most of the space, Nim,” Lay replies sheepishly, chuckling at his hoobae.

 

Nim shakes her head, and pokes Se Hun, telling him to move so Lay could join in. The bratty cat obeys—he respected Lay, after all—adjusting his position to make way for his sunbae. Lay grins to himself and lies down beside Se Hun, encircling his arms around his owner’s waist.

 

“I love the two of you so much,” she laughs, clutching onto their shirts and savoring their touch.

 

And Nim’s computer lay there, forgotten.