Today

My Mother & I

My feet were quavering when I standing in front of this big building which have been painted nicely with brown like a cookie dough. The name of school is beautiful carved and I think it was specially made because the distinctiveness of this school than other schools around here.

Why did my mother send me here anyway? All of them look rich, intelligent and hopefully, not snobbish or I would never escaped this school alive. Physically and mentally.

I took a deep breath and put my right foot on the school compound with a hope that I won’t make a fun of myself especially the girls whom I think beautiful. My sight is filled with their long leg when they wearing a dark blue skirt and how the jacket hugged their body nicely.

Oh, mother! Thank you for sending me to this school. I owed you one.

Wait, who is this? A ponytail girl who is wearing glasses approached me with serious look and apparently, she is also holding a small notebook on her pocket. Did I do something wrong? Did I broke any rules here?

Nevertheless, I formed a faint smile towards her way hoping it would soften her heart. “Hi!” I raised my hand a bit.

She smiles at me back although it only lasted a few seconds. “You are Baekhyun right, a new transfer student from United States?”

“Yeah. How do you know? I thought I have to report myself at my homeroom teacher first unless you were reporter to make me as your new headlines for the paper which going to be distributed around the school so people would know me before I introduced myself to the others, right?” I said in one deep breath.

I don’t know whether she was impressed with me or annoyed with me or doesn’t get what I’m saying. I thought I already perfected my Korean pronounce though.

She smirks. “Baekhyun, are you trying to impress me or auditioned yourself for Korea’s Got Talent later? We’re going to be late and today, I’m going to show you all around the places of SM Private School upon the headmaster’s request. You’ll be in the class around 15 minutes sharp. Is that okay with you?” She said as she glances at her right before waving her friends who were on the way to the class I assumed.

“Of course. As long as you lead the way. What’s your name by the way? I can’t go on around the school without knowing your name.” I showed her a friendly smile.

“My name is Sunny and I’m your senior for your information. Stop showing off your dorky sides or your talent in talking in one breath. Man, I thought you are flirty but you are more to friendly gesture.” She makes a hand gesture over friendly words.

I lets out a weak smile and decided to keep that habit of mine inside me unless they were comfortable with me. I mentally slapped myself. Note to myself; probably people in here have different approach than what I used to be at US.

She pats my head as she can see the reaction written on my faces. “Oh, I’m just kidding! I was about to recruit you for our radio station later. I will giving your name to Taeyeon later. But right now, it’s school tour time.” She said with bright smile; disappeared the cold personality she showed me just now. “How long has you been stayed at US?”

I shrugs my shoulder. “Probably before or after I born. I’ve started my school there until I reached 16 before my mother decided to go back home. Here I am although it feels awkward to be surround with pretty Asian girls.” I flashed her a goofy smile and I’m grateful she took my words as a joke.

“You are funny, Baekhyun. It is my first time escorting someone who is talkative and funny. Anyway, on your left is a place for study which we called it Green Forest since the surrounding is green and suitable place for studying with your friends.” She pointed at where I could saw a few of hand-made mushroom with several chairs and large table.

I didn’t said anything and she didn’t bother to explain further more. Both of us carried on our walk to the auditorium where most events held there and field where various of sport competition were played.

If you asked my opinion, the school is using their area wisely by providing accommodation for the students to use their time by doing things necessary. Looking at me, a checker brown pants showing my long leg and underneath my blue jacket is white shirt with stripe tie. My hair is also combed back and it makes my image look so sleek. Urgh!

“So, this is it. If you want to go to cafeteria, just go straight and turn left. Now, it is time for you to go to the class or you might be getting mad by Mr. Hun because he is very stern and his special point is that differentiate him with other teachers is – “ She looked around before giving me a twinkling smile. “Bald. Have fun with his class and I’ll see you around, Baekhyun.” She bids her goodbye and gone from my sight.

I was stunned. Bald? Little did I know, I laughed so hard in front of my class that at my very first day I had my first detention. !


I made many friends thanks to my cheerful personality. How great am I? Okay, a bit too absurd but damn, I’m hungry. I wanted to go home so badly; eat my mother’s cook is heaven.

I was about to close my eyes while waiting for the next teacher to enter when a large shadow covered my sight. Urgh, since when did they put a curtain on my side? With so many sounds I make, I forced my eyes to look up.

Chanyeol and Kibum were smiling so widely that I can saw their gum. What do they want from me? After absorbing Spanish language, Mathematic Modern and Advanced History, don’t they felt worn out? I could die!!

“Baekhyun, you’ve said that you are from States right? Did you getting in touch with your pretty friends there?” Kibum asked without waiting for any minute.

Since his question is very straightforward, I had to take a deep breath first. Pretty friends? You mean Angelica, Lyn and Rose? Bu – but they were already…

“I am but – “ He interrupted my words before I got to fully answer.

“Can you introduced her to me? I desperately need a partner for next week ball held in my family’s mansion. Just for one night and then, that’s it. My father gave me that condition so I won’t felt left out at there.”

Chanyeol is only laughing. “Nah. The real reason is he didn’t wanted to see his own son doesn’t have partner while the other lads has each one. He’s going to embarrassed in front of the crowds.” He shrugged his shoulder with easy-going tone.

Is he always this straightforward?

Instead punching him on the face, Kibum nods; agreed to his reason. “What to do, Baekhyun? I’m the heir for my father’s company. I couldn’t looked like I was dumped by a girl.” He plopped himself at seat in front of him.

“How about you, Baekhyun? You didn’t give us any detail about yourself.” It’s their turn to divert their gaze on me. I swear their look so deep that it saw through over my body.

“Geez, easy guys! Don’t give me that kind of ‘I’m eating you’ look even you are hungry right now. Well, my story is very ordinary. I lead a very normal life so there was nothing to be brag about except that I can speak English fluently.” I showed them a wide smile but they didn’t buy it. I wonder why.

“How did you enter this school if you lead a very ‘normal’ life? This school is private one and only people with high class could studying here unless you had someone you knew registered your name in here.” Chanyeol said with curious tone.

I rubbed my head with disappointment. “I even myself didn’t know about that. Sorry guys but really, my mother is working at cafeteria to pay my school fees and for my father…” I lowered my tone. “He is already dead almost 2 years now.”

Chanyeol and Kibum looked at each other before apologized to me with their sincere voice. Maybe they are different species than in The Heirs Korean drama I used to watch with my friends.

“It’s okay. I’m getting used without his presence now. By the way, Kibum, it’s not like that I don’t want to introduced you to my friends but all of them were married. So, I was afraid that their husband were very reluctant to borrow their wife even for a night.”

“Wait, your friends were already married? There is no one single among your friends?”

My hand subconsciously ruffled my hair as a sign of nervous. “I – I prefer to befriend with people who is much older than me that around my age. Bu – but I will try them if there is anyone around our age stayed here that could be your partner, Kibum. Sorry about that.” I apologized but they laughed so loud that attracted other uneasy gaze on us.

“Wh – what?”

“You are funny, Baekhyun. Nah, it’s fine by me! I could ask anyone at our school, can’t I? It’s really good to know you; outside my range of friends who are most of them are heirs like myself. Say, could I come to your house? I never been to normal house.” Kibum requested.

Chanyeol pushed his head with lightly. “Idiot! You shouldn’t asked him at the first place regarding your partner. Anyway, welcome to 7A1 class where all the classmates are one of a kind.” He gestured a welcoming hand which amused me more.

I didn’t know life at Korea is much better than what I thought. The decision to get back here is not regrettable. Not at all.


The first thing I did after I got home is finding her who is in the middle of cooking and gives her a back hug. Since I tall than her, I could sniffed her scent of hair. It’s peach scent; the kind of scent she always used to me since I was a toddler.

“Eomma! I’m home.” I said with high tone; still didn’t released my hug but tighten it even more.

She has a hard time to turn her body to face me but eventually, she broke into laugh when she realized I was having my personal time by being an immature kid.

“I assumed today is a good day for you? This is why you hugged me tight and acted like kid, dear?” She said after I released my hug and she quickly placing a soft kiss on my temple.

I vigorously nodded my head. “Today is a good day, eomma! Thank you for going back here and sending me to wonderful school just to meet wonderful friends.” I said in grateful voice.

She smiles softly and pinched my cheek oh-so-ever lightly. “You are most welcome! Now, go take a bath so we could have a dinner together. I cook your favourite; kimchi stew.”