Dream

My Mother & I

Here I stand in front of two people who I assumed were the main pillar in Radio Club. I keep fidgeting my fingers after being interviewed by them from my personal information until my personal skills in attracting listeners.

Sunny sunbae-nim is smiling like she got good news for me but a person next to her is opposite her with a frown on her face. Do I get the place or not?

She was standing up and extended her hand to shook mine which I did before saying the things that I really wanted to hear after standing too long in front of them like a model.

“Congratulations, Baekhyun! You’ve been accepted into Radio Club as one of newbie deejay but your first assignment is finding good soul music since next week is Teacher’s Day and our job is entertaining the present teachers because that day is still going on as usual.” Sunny sunbae-nim ordered me.

I nod. “Is there would be any small events held that day?” I asked.

“From the information I received, there would be none but us who will be in charge according to whoever shift is. I’ll be informed you when you will be in charge but you’re not alone. Someone will guiding you from the first process. Is that okay with you?” Sunny sunbae-nim said with glistening eyes but the person sat next to her still staring down at few pieces of paper on the table.

My focus was a bit distracted by her attitude but I nod anyway. “I better took my leave now. Thank you sunbae-nim.”

“Just called us noona.” Sunny insisted.

I lets out a small laugh. “Okay, noona. See you later, then.” I said before closing the door behind my back. My feet dragged me not too far from the Radio Club room before I jumped happily because the interview went well. I can’t wait to told mother about this.


I told myself to ignore his talking but my ear doesn’t want to cooperate with me. My hand is busy writing the notes from Kibum since I absent from this morning class due to the interview but he didn’t notice it or pretend to notice and continue babbling about his goddess from heaven.

“I mean – I know our age difference is very wide but I can’t help it. She is too beautiful than any woman I’ve encountered before and did I forgot to mention how graceful she is when she’s walking? She didn’t pretend but be – “ I interrupted his words.

“Herself. Yeah.” I answered in lazy voice.

Chanyeol nodded vigorously and leaned his back against his chair. “You didn’t mind, Bacon?” He asked in curious tone.

I looked up when I heard his uncertainty voice from him. “What do you mean by that?” I asked.

“Look man, I know we’ve just met but if we – you know.” He gave me a riddle and I hate that so much but I got what he wanted to say but pretend not to understand the meaning behind it.

She’s my MOTHER for Heaven’s sake! I can’t – couldn’t let my mother falling in love for this person slash my best friend! It’s really weird having a father-to-be who is the same aged as me. No way! Over my dead body.

“Chanyeol, I’m sorry for being rude but I really need to write this note and gave it back to Kibum as soon as possible. Shouldn’t you supposed to be reading or doing whatever you need to do for upcoming test?”

“You should just borrowed the note from me, you know. I hate to study that early. My mind could only absorbed everything at the last minute so the day before the test, you were going to see me focus hundred per cent.” He grinned.

“You barely jot any note from Mr Junsu unless he asked you to write an answer at the whiteboard. You’re not going to cheat, aren’t you?”

He laughed loud. “This is Chanyeol, man! I wouldn’t cheat unless I wanted to get killed by my father. Trust me, I scored on my papers with my diligent attitude.”

I smile softly. He was so carefree and didn’t worried at all unlike my other classmates who were already highlighting important notes or create mind map for easy revision. Kibum, my other friend was listening to music while skimming Spanish textbook but his face was relaxed.

Oh, what did I do for having them as my friends! This is more than enough. Well, excepted the liking my mother’s part. What if Kibum also knew about her? Aigoo, more problem to come.


Seohyun was cleaning up the counter table when someone was tapping her back. She looked  behind and smiling at the person who is grinning playfully. “Hey Minho!” She greeted her colleagues who is just arrived since his shift is on evening.

 He chuckles before ruffling her hair into a mess since her hair is free against her back. “You should tie your hair, Seohyun. What are you doing? Shouldn’t you taking a break right now?” He asked; hanging his coat at the reserved place for staff stuff.

“My rubber band is break off. I can’t find anything I could tie my hair. You see, the counter table was a bit dirty so I wipe them off.” She giggled while placing the white towel in the sink to rinse it.

Minho lets out a short sight while ruffling his bag pack. “Let me see in my Doraemon bag if there anything I could help you with. Anyway, where is your shining knight?” He about her only son who is overprotected of his mother.

Seohyun laughed softly. “Oh, Baekhyun? He’s got test next weekend so I asked him to stop come over for few days. I don’t wanted to disturb his studying with his friends. Guess I’ll be having my lunch at here or alone somewhere.” She muttered slowly.

Minho who was busy checking the inside of his bag doesn’t heard what she just said. He pulled out a black headband that hid underneath his books. “There you are. Here, wore this for temporary.”

She gave him a look. “You wore this, Minho? I thought man doesn’t care about their appearances.”

“Hey, sometimes when my bangs got on my way, I need to wore those so I can concentrate more. Well, you want my lunchbox? You don’t need to wait in line just to get a rest for an hour. It’s quite pack around this time.” He extended her a blue square lunchbox but she hesitated.

“But it’s your lunchbox! You’re going to be here until midnight, Minho. No way! I don’t want to eat your lunchbox.” She shook her head but he insisted and placed his lunchbox on her hand.

“Take it or leave it. Besides, my little sister would surely came by and gave me some snacks. I usually doesn’t finished my lunchbox unless it was shared with my friend.” Minho shrugged his shoulder.

Seohyun bites her lower lips and hold the lunchbox closed to her heart. “Thanks. I’ll be eating this well.” She muttered under her breath before lost behind the staff door.

Minho looked at her until she lost from his sight and resumed his work after wearing apron around his waist. A little smile tugged at the end of his mouth. “Stubborn.”


I stretched my body until the extent before I resumed my work. I was in Radio Club for afternoon session with another senior but he seemed a little bit late and I didn’t know what to do except playing harmonious songs. Sunny noona already warned me not to use the microphone yet.

Not until I’m fully ready to handle the session on my own. But where the hell is he anyway? If he was my senior, I would like to ask for his tips in understanding Japanese because it seems like Mrs Sooyoung doesn’t took an excuse for people like me who is blur in the class.

It took time for me to understand new language unless I was being taught to speak that language when I was really really young.

The door was creaked so I tilt my head to see who is it. My face enlightened when I saw my saviour. “Hyungsik hyung! Where have you been? If Sunny noona knew about this, she’s going to strangle me!” I scrunched my face; remembering the warning she gave it to me the first day I played my role.

“I will kill you if I knew you were alone in broadcast room; deejay-ing by yourself without a senior to guide you. Understand Baekhyun?”She was smiling but the tone of her voice was deathly. I took her words very seriously

.

Hyungsik hyung only laughing and patting his back. “I just caught with my fans at the hallway. Who could resist my cute gesture, huh?” He grinned; showing his dimples.

I couldn’t stay mad longer and laughing along. “I just played the songs continuously. How about you said something that could raise their spirit for the upcoming test? It would’ve been great, hyung.” I suggested.

“Then, why are you waiting for me? You could do it by yourself just now.”

I pout. “I would already do that if I could. Sunny noona would surely killed me if she found out that I was alone in here.”

He grinned. “But she didn’t, did she? If this opportunity passed by, you shouldn’t let it passed like that. Grab it and used it wisely. It only come once in a lifetime. Oh, well! We’ve still got 20 minutes left before the next class started. Shall we, Baek?” He showed me a thumb up sign. I grinned back and showed him a thumb up too.

I’m pretty sure working at broadcast room is fun and entertaining. Especially working with cool Hyungsik hyung, bubbly Sunny noona and mysterious Taeyeon noona. These people were senior and the rest of them is still mysterious because I didn’t have any schedule with them or passing by the broadcast room when it was their turn.

I tried to dig about them from Hyungsik hyung but his mouth is sealed and so does Sunny noona. She only smiled when I bring up the topic. I didn’t dare to ask Taeyeon noona since her face is always gloomy and only glared at me with her pair of piercing eyes.

Who are they exactly? Even Kibum and Chanyeol doesn’t have a clue about them.


My eyes blinked for few times and I just realized that I slept on my mother’s lap. What time is it? How long I was sleeping? Eomma?

I caressed her cheek to wake her up as my lazy mode is powered my body. “Eomma, why am I sleeping on your lap?” I asked her once she opened her eyes. She looked at me with soft stare before playing with my hair. She used to do it when I was younger especially after appa mad at me for having low score in my test.

“You were sleeping on the couch by the time I got home. I saw a few flying papers with many written notes on it. Did you really has to learn Spanish and Japanese?” She asked in hesitated tone.

I laughed at her question when I got up from her lap. She didn’t knew about my school background, did she when she enrolled me into this private school?

“Part of my subjects that has to be taken this year, eomma. Did you take over something? I’m pretty hungry. Look, my stomach grumbling.” I pointed at my flat stomach which really did make a sound.

“My poor baby didn’t eat yet? Oh, let me give you a big hug!” She pulled me into her warmth embrace but as a grown up man, I had to pull myself out of it. It’s pretty embarrassing if my friend saw this. Let alone that meeting with Chanyeol on that fateful day.

“Right, eomma. I just wanted to inform you that I got accepted into Radio Club. It’s where we act as deejay and played over some request songs and other kind of stuff. After being guided by thoughtful senior, I think I want to be radio re-presenter. It must be fun!” I told her about my dream.

She didn’t said anything but ruffling my hair which already messed. “Thanks to your talkative personality, I think you will be a great radio re-presenter or DJ someday, son.” She commented before placing a soft kiss on my forehead.

I loved my mother.