Home

My Mother & I

The weather is cold but I’m getting used to it now for the past few years. My parents were Korean but moved to Los Angeles because my mother’s sister sold her house to them. My father worked as lecturer at local university in Foreign Language while my mother is medical assistant at Palm Hospital.

Since I moved here when I was quite young, my tongue is already become English native speaker though at home, my parents were always conversed in Korean so we won’t forgot where we came from.

I make a lot of friends here; white and black. Plus, there is not racist word in our dictionary despite the different in many aspects. I respected their culture and so does them. We’re sharing the same similarities especially playing basketball and karaoke for students like us.

But when it comes to singing, they’ll never beat me because I’ve natural melodic voice. Maybe I inherited from my mother who is always singing when she was cooking. If I’m craving for Western food such as taco, burger or steak I’ll eat outside with friends. My mother never cook that kind of food except Korean food.

You named it; bulgogi, bibimbap, rolled eggs, kimchi and other varieties of food. My stomach can be full with the name of food above. She is the best cook ever.

My eyes were searching for vacant bench while my mouth is letting out hot breath through my hands. It’s getting cold and colder each day. I wonder if Korea also having the same weather as this country.

I never been there before.

I walk through the Coffee Choc. Café and bought me a cup of hot chocolate and a slice of moist chocolate cake. I intend to drink the chocolate but giving her the cake. She loved the cake ever since my father introduced this café to her. It’s like a second home for us because of the warm greeting.

Then, I can feel the vibrating inside my pocket and I take out my Samsung phone to take a look at the caller. ‘Eomma?’ I slide to the left to answer her call.

“Yes, eomma?”

“Where were you? I’ve already making us lunch if you are hungry and since you’re skipped class today, shouldn’t you be helping me at the kitchen?” Her melodic voice when talking to me always sadden me. It reminds me of someone dear to me.

I subconsciously nod; unaware she can’t see it. “Yixing must called the home, right? I’ll be home around 10 minutes. I’ve been walking to further park I could get and it takes time for me to turn back. Can you wait for me?” I reply with worried voice.

A soft giggle is heard from other line. “Anything for my son. Be careful on your way home.”

I stare at the fade black screen before putting it back into my pocket. The warmness of the drink reminded me of how warmth his hand is when I was a little kid; still learning how to cross the road.

I take a sip of the drink and swallowed it one gulp. The bitterness of chocolate flowing down through my throat really makes me forgot about him for a while. I don’t want to be look low among the crowds.

After finished the drink, I throw it into nearby garbage can. The road that I’ve been walking on is the cleanest road I ever seen without dirt or flying garbage. The rule to throw rubbish is very strict around here and I bet all over the world were concerned about the environment.

I glance at my watch and it’s almost 1 o’clock in the evening. I had to rush and fasten my pace so I don’t hear her mumbles about how precious time is or always on time whenever you are. She is that kind of person.

That’s why I love her – very much.


We lived in ordinary apartment where all the neighbourhood is friendly and taking of each other. Literally especially the older women who prefer to gossip whenever their husband is out of station.

And I’m glad my mother is not one of them.’ I thoughts to myself every time I passed them at the lobby. ‘Didn’t they have any better things to do except chattering useless things like introducing their daughter to me?’ I laugh silently to my inner joke.

Baek, you’re joking and you’re the only who think it’s funny. Yeah, funny indeed. I grunted as I climbed the stairs to the 5th floor instead of taking elevator. Mother said it’s part of exercise by using the stairs unless you were already older or lazy.

Ouch!

I were standing in front of the door ‘5012’ when the door is suddenly opened from inside. I don’t even got a chance to ring the bell or knock the door. ‘She must have psychic power in her.’

She looked at me with loving stare before ushering me to enter quickly as she disappeared behind the kitchen counter. I shook my head and locked the door behind me. I take off my shoes and placed it on rack.

She dislike of wearing shoes in the house. “It feels like you were walking inside someone else’s house. What? Is the house was so dirty that we had to wear shoes inside?” She said. I had to admit her opinion and obeyed her rules ever since.

“Dear, would you please set up the table? I’m going to bring in chicken salad with beef lasagne. I know it’s must be weird of cooking western food today but I might wanted to try some. After all, it’s going to be our last day here.” She said with low voice and holding a bowl of chicken salad.

My eyes were getting smaller as I processed her words. “Last day, eomma? What do you mean; are we going to move somewhere nice?” I asked; in curious. I’ll be missing my friends here!

She looked at me in the eyes before cutting a square of lasagne on my plate with two spoonful of salad. “This house has so many memories which reminded me of him. Too much that I can’t stopped myself from thinking about him; wondering why he had to go first without saying goodbye? Dear, please understand my situation.”

I nod; unwillingly. “Which mean I’m going to transferred into new school? Make new friends?”

“Yeah, except you’re not going to speak English with them and you’ll be wearing uniform. I’ve arranged the plane tickets and we’ll be flying in two days. I already called the Academy and packed your stuff there.”

I lost my appetite as I played with my food. The attitude I would do when I’m being forced to do something I don’t like.

“Kim Baekhyun.” Her voice was soft yet firm. The kind of tone she used if she was mad at me.

“Where are we going?” I try to rekindle the situation; knowing I’m the who should apologized.

She showed a bitter smile. “Korea. We’re going back to our hometown Korea after 13 years travelled to someone else’s country. I missed being there; everything including his presence when I first met him.” Her eyes were already glimmering and yet, my posture was fixed not showing any kindness to comfort her.

Oh, eomma! I’m sorry but I really don’t know how to express it through words.’

“Eomma, you can teach me how to speak Korean fluently. I’m probably already forgot how to write in Korean alphabet and I might enter into elementary school to learn from the start.” I’m trying to cheer up the atmosphere.

She lets out a soft laugh. I’m glad to hear that.

“You fool! Then, what the heck are we talking in now? Rubbish talk? God, you’re just looked like your father when it comes into this. Hurry, finished your meal and helped me to organize the box.”

“Arasseo, eomma.”


It’s been a while I’ve been in plane and I experienced jet lag. My world is spinning around and I want to puke but it won’t come out.

I feel nausea.

I looked at her who is sitting next to me intently reading an entertainment magazine.

“Eomma.” I called out her name; almost pleading like a little child. She looked up from her material and asked me why.

“I think I want to puke but it won’t come out.” I complaint. Yes, because I’m the only child I can be anyone I want. An eldest or the youngest.

The married couple who is sitting across our seat is throwing curious glances at us. I wonder why because I don’t see anything wrong by asking your mother to help her son. Jealous?

She called a stewardess and asked for aspirin and a paper bag. She was caressing my hair tenderly while waiting for the stewardess to bring the items she required to.

“Oh, my little boy aren’t feeling well? We’ll be arrived without you knowing. After taking the medicine, have a nice sleep and get rid of whatever it does in your mind. Relax because your mother is here. Okay?” Her voice was already assured me that she’ll always be there when I need her the most.

I nod. “Okay.”

Afterwards, my eyes were getting heavier after swallowing the big chunk of white pill of what you called aspirin. She placed her hand on top of mine and singing a lullaby to me so I can sleep. Her voice was so melodic that I didn’t remember at what time I fall asleep.

She had this touch of magic. No wonder, appa treasured her so much. Don’t worry, appa. I’ll be taking care of her like you did to her before.