Prelude 1

School for the Performing Arts
Please log in to read the full chapter

Prelude [prey-lood] - an introductory piece

Zitao was frolicking in a meadow of flowers, happily munching on a little cake when an owl flew straight at him.

"I'm so sorry!" apologized the wide-eyed owl. It hovered over the teen who looked crestfallen as he stared at his fallen piece of cake.

He pouted and his lips started to tremble, causing the owl to feel guilty.

"Are you okay? Are you hurt? Do you want me to take you to Unicorn? Do you-"

"It's okay, Mr. Owl," the tall teenager interrupted as he started to smile at the bird. "I'm fine."

The owl, however, was unconvinced and continued to fret over the human. It was only when he managed to spot a pair of socks did the big-eyed bird stop. Hastily saying one last apology, the owl flew off into the distance.

And so Zitao strolled on in the meadow, whistling to a nursery rhyme. He paused though once he spotted a troll grinning evilly at a steamed bun. The former was blocking the way across the bridge while the latter seemed agitated. Zitao swore he could see the bun turning a scarlet red. He was shocked to see it jump up and attack the troll causing both of them to fall into the water.

Shrugging his shoulders, the teen walked across the bridge, not sparing the two in the river another thought.

He managed to catch sight of a big tree yonder. Grinning cheerily, he made his way over and sat down under it. Opening up the journal he held in his hand and taking the pencil from his ear, Zitao was about to write in it when Yoda came from out of nowhere and pointed his light saber at him.

"Go now, you must," the green Grand Jedi Master told the dumbfounded teenager.

"Wha-wha-what," stuttered the black-haired teen.

"Much to see, you have, to learn much."

"But-but-but-"

"Meet many new people, you will."

"Wh-"

"May the force be with you."

 

 

 

Huang Zitao abruptly woke up from his deep slumber. Groaning on the couch, he drowsily looked around his living room only to find a half-eaten cake on the coffee table in front of him. Still half-asleep, he scratched his head and got up. He slowly recalled having a Star Wars marathon the night before.

Treading his way to the bathroom, something shiny from the kitchen counter caught his eye. Having gone astray from his original task of brushing his teeth, Zitao curiously ambled to the counter and picked up an elaborately decorated certificate. Seeing that it was addressed to him, he saw no harm in reading its contents.

Once done, he dropped the piece of paper in astonishment. His eyes were as big as the owl's in his dream and his mouth gaped open. After getting over his initial shock, the teenager bent down and picked up the paper. He re-read it and read it again to make sure he still wasn't dreaming before letting out a girlish shriek.

"OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! I GOT IN!!!!!"

 

   

                                                          

  3151 N. Arts Trail    Seoul, South Korea 34774

                                                                                                                                                              010- 345-6789    fax: 010-9876-543

                                                                                                                                                                             Lee Sun Ho “Andy”, Principal

                                                                                                                                                                   Park Ji Young “Kahi”, Assistant Principal

 

June 23, 2014

Accepted Area – High School Creative Writing

Dear Huang Zitao:

Congratulations!

Based on your excellent application, audition, and interview, you have been accepted for study at Seoul School for the Performing Arts for the 2014-2015 school year. Please accept our sincere congratulations on your accomplishment. Your talent, dedication, and passion for the arts have earned you a place at SOPA. It is now up to you to build upon the skills you already have and become the best you can possibly be.

We plan to provide you with a rich, stimulating, and nurturing education environment designed to help you continue to grow both educationally and artistically. It is now up to you to realize and develop the full extent of your potential.

Please withdraw from your current school.

You will need to call our guidance department office to schedule an appointment for registration.

Student Registration Forms and Enrollment information are attached for your convenience.

Again, please accept my congratulations on a job well done. We are looking forward to seeing you at the opening of the school term.

Sincerely,

Lee Sun Ho,

P

Please log in to read the full chapter