Wintry

Frostbite

Wintry

 

 

-

There are some things you should know before you start reading. First of all, I was stupid and planned out the whole rest of the story before I actually did some research and realized that each Hunger Games is supposed to last about two weeks in average. As a result, these Games are going to be much shorter, kind of like in 'Catching Fire'. As a heads up, there are about four chapters left, each one a lot longer in length then I usually write (and yeah, I know, it's normal for other authors to write like 7k chapters with every update, but to me, that’s pretty damn long!). These chapters will be around 5k, though. Yayy~ Also, I know this is supposed to be a Minseok/Yixing centric story, and I will try my absolute best to keep it that way, but I will be writing from other characters’ perspectives as well, because if I only write from Minseok’s perspective, a lot of things won’t make sense. So, if you see first person, that’s Minseok; everyone else, including Yixing, is written in third person. There’s only one super short instance in this chapter where first person is Yixing instead, and it’ll be really obvious when you get there. I’m really really sorry, and thank you so much for sticking with me so far!

-

 

The world is blur around me as I dart forwards toward the Cornucopia, running as fast as I can. I can’t waste time thinking about anything, but already, flickers of movements catch my eye and I vaguely see my opponents racing just as quickly to get to the golden horn. The contents of the horn will determine who dies, and who lives.

 

Also, there’s the bloodbath to consider, but I ignore that thought. I have to get supplies. I don’t plan on staying around to really fight, but it’s critical that I get a quick gauge of the others’ abilities, otherwise it’ll be like wandering around in the dark without a candle.

 

Then I almost trip over a short dagger, and realize that I’m one of the first to arrive, though not for long. Luckily, Joonmyun, like me, seems more interested in a quick grab and run. He looks at me hard, warning me away, and then continues moving to the center, where all the good things are. I snatch up the dagger and forage as fast as I can, grabbing random things with my nerves in overdrive, only hoping there’s a good supply of weapons and food among what I have picked.

 

I almost die right then and there as an arrow flies past my ear, nicking me slightly but falling astray.

 

It’s time to go.

 

I turn around to see that my attacker is Luhan, who is gaining on me fast. He has a disturbing smile plastered on his face, and seems quite at ease. He also has a quiver of arrows, and as I flee, I watch in amazement as he turns his attention away from me towards Joonmyun. The arrows aim and shoot themselves with deadly aim. Every arrow flies incredibly close to Joonmyun, who is backing up. Luhan’s power must be telekinesis, which he wields with a deadly ease.

 

Meanwhile, however, I’ve gotten into the nearby bushes safely, and although my every instinct is to run and run and never stop, something stops me: I want to see what happens next.

 

Sehun has caught up to Luhan, and scoops up a sword as he runs. I tense, expecting Sehun to stab Luhan, but instead he just calls out to Luhan, who turns and nods, beckoning him on. I suppose they’re allies. Luhan has turned back to Joonmyun, though, and a chill runs up my spine. Luhan only has one arrow left, and Joonmyun, bolder, waves his arm through midair. A huge crest of water seemingly materializes out of nowhere, although the air suddenly seems drier, and crashes towards the pair.

 

Luhan just tilts his head, and with a similar wave of an arm, stops the wave in its path. Joonmyun sees this, and knowing instantly that he is no match for Luhan, turns and starts to run.

 

“Joonmyun, look out!” Jongdae, finally catching up and cresting the hill, struggles to reach Joonmyun in time, but it’s too late, as Luhan’s last arrow sprouts from Joonmyun’s skull and drops him to the ground, dead. The feathers in the arrow mark him garishly.

 

Jongdae’s anguished scream breaks out, and he reaches Joonmyun, frantically feels for a pulse, and, finding none, stands up and faces Luhan. The look in his eyes makes me want to disappear. They’re fierce, shiny with unshed tears, and I genuinely fear for Luhan at that moment. The air starts to feel charged.

 

Luhan, to my astonishment, is laughing maniacally, head thrown back. Just like his disconcerting smile earlier, I start to wonder almost if he is completely sane. The Luhan I knew was a cheerful, playful boy, but it would come as no surprise if the whole ordeal - being picked for the Games to kill his friends, the operation to receive powers - has unhinged him somehow. And I do hear a dark tone to his laugh.

 

Sehun, though, seems to have noticed something off with the air as well, and he shifts uneasily, nudging Luhan, who pushes him roughly to the side, ignoring him. I can’t help but feel bad for Sehun, and I wonder how he and Luhan ended up as allies. But the sky grows dark, storm clouds appearing, and there’s a huge crack of lightning accompanied by a deep roll of thunder. Luhan is still laughing, so hard that he’s hunched over. So he misses the second bolt of lightning that strikes Sehun down the middle, and in a split moment, lights up his whole skeleton in white. Sehun is lying quite still on the ground, his features electrocuted beyond recognition - a grotesque imitation of the person I once claimed to know. And I know it’s over for him, too.

 

Finally, Luhan manages to stop his laughing and notice what’s going on. When he sees Sehun, his ally, dead on the ground, he doesn’t bend down and check his pulse, like Jongdae did for Joonmyun. Instead, he wrinkles his nose and kicks the blackened body aside. I can’t stop the gasp that issues from my lips, and barely stop myself from clapping a hand over my eyes. What Luhan’s done is horrific, horrendous. He looked at the dead body of his ally, and kicked it aside. I don’t know what to think that will help me make sense of anything in this hell hole... but I do know to stay away from Luhan.

 

I honestly expect Luhan to start laughing again, but to my relief, he doesn't. Instead, he sits down and starts polishing a nearby axe, apparently at ease and perfectly okay despite Sehun just being electrocuted next to him. Jongdae is looking at Luhan with a horrified look, and after a brief moment of consideration, backs away into the jungle. I guess he doesn’t want to take on Luhan either, or he’s just waiting for the right time. Luhan drops the axe and arranges his legs to sit cross legged. He closes his eyes and seems to concentrate, and after a pause all the remaining weapons rise slowly and circle steadily around him, gaining speed until the weapons are a blur and form a sort of deadly vortex shield.

 

Now, the rest of us can’t get to the weapons, but I don’t believe that was his purpose in executing such a move. I think, instead, that he’s just playing around with his powers, which somehow scares me even more. Such a casual and tremendous display of power’s purpose can only be to intimidate the rest of us. Luhan, in essence, is the Career tribute of our group.

 

But where is everyone else? During the recent events, I don’t recall anyone else picking up supplies, but I suppose they were all staying away from the fight. Now, though, I see Kris and Tao, burdened down with a couple items. And then, incredibly, Kris seems to pick up Tao, and then they’re flying away. Within seconds, the pair have faded into the direction of the grasslands.

 

I’ve been here long enough, too. I don’t want to be left alone with Luhan, so I quietly pick myself off and make my way along the edge of the bushes, taking care not to be seen, until the ground starts to get snowy beneath my feet. From the corner of my eye, I see another two figures - I think Baekhyun and Chanyeol - starting into the desert area.

 

Where’s Yixing? I tell myself it’s more out of caution than caring, but I can’t help but wonder where’s gotten off to. I didn’t see him anywhere during the fight, so he must have been smart and gone off while nobody was looking. I dig around in my mind for the last two tributes and realize that, similarly, Kyungsoo and Jongin never appeared during the Cornucopia fight either. It’s like they’ve disappeared into thin air.

 

Well, hopefully we’re all split up, because the reality of being here in the arena still hasn’t hit me and I’m not prepared to kill anyone just yet. At this point in the Games, I’m like a sitting duck. Which is why it’s even more imperative that I get myself somewhere safe. The snowlands welcome me with a crisp breeze, and I prepare for a long journey as the snow starts to fall.

 

The last thing I hear before I’m out of range is Luhan’s laughter, echoing on and on behind me.

 

-


 

“Ugh! Jongin, help me instead of laughing at me like an idiot, please!” Another vine has found its way onto Kyungsoo’s face.

 

“Sorry, sorry,” Jongin snorts, brushing away the vine, which reluctantly retracts. “They just seem to love you so much. You know if you were in real trouble I’d help you right away. It’s just that these vines haven’t done anything incriminating yet.”

 

“Not yet. This jungle...” Kyungsoo looks suspiciously around, although there is a hint of real fear in his eyes. “It scares me. I mean, look at all these colors - it’s beautiful, but in my experience brightly colored things in nature almost always mean poison. Especially now that we’re in the arena. Remember that year Haymitch Abernathy won? The Quarter Quell? All the tributes were dying because of those purple flowers.”

 

“What experience have you ever had, Soo? It’s not as if there were much flowers back home,” Jongin lightly teases, and Kyungsoo harrumphs in response, slapping away another vine that hovers a bit too close to his face.

 

In the next moment, two things happen at once: first, Jongin trips over a rock and falls halfway into some green brush before picking himself up with a disgruntled look. And second, a faint cry of surprise comes from the brush, and a dirt-covered figure comes tumbling out to sprawl at their feet.

 

Jongin is instantly on alert, pushing Kyungsoo behind him (Kyungsoo complies but looks annoyed), and assuming an aggressive stance.

 

“Who are you? What are you doing here?”

 

The dusty figure gets to his feet, brushing his scraped hands on his pants. When he lifts his head, Kyungsoo and Jongin relax a little. It’s only Yixing’s kindly features that meet their gaze.

 

Yixing clears his throat and raises an eyebrow, unfazed. “Well, obviously, it’s me, as you can now see. What am I doing? Why, I should say I am doing the same thing you two are doing; I’m walking around trying to figure out what I should do, if this place is dangerous or not, and whether I should stay here or try my luck in the grasslands. I must say, though, that wheaty ocean looks quite intimidating. Just think of all the things that could be hiding there... snakes, for example.”

 

Jongin scowls, unconvinced. “Why were you so close to us, then? You must have been spying.”

 

Yixing sighs. “See what the Games have done to us? You think ill of me within one minute of our meeting; I, who was once your closest friend. Now, if you’ll excuse me...” He makes a move to leave, but Jongin’s arm flashes out and catches Yixing’s shoulder. There is one still moment where everyone tenses at once.

 

Jongin.”

 

Jongin flinches at Kyungsoo’s quiet voice. He releases his grip, and Yixing bows to Kyungsoo.

 

“Thank you.”

 

Kyungsoo nods, eyes regretful.

 

As Yixing pushes his way through the stubborn vines in the opposite direction Kyungsoo and Jongin are heading, Jongin calls after him, voice hard with conviction yet somehow tempered, burdened down with a heavy knowledge.

 

“We’re not friends anymore, Yixing.”

 

Oh, but I know that, Jongin. I know.

 

-

 

I can only thank whatever god is up there that the Gamemakers provided us with snow this year. If the entire arena had ended up being a desert... I shudder, playing out that scenario in my mind. It would have been bloody and horrific. It’s still bloody and horrific this way, but at least I get to die in what I start to consider my natural habitat. If there are bloodstains, the new snow will soon cover it up, and anyhow, everything here is soft and muted and lovely.

 

And, this way, I feel a lot more confident that I won’t be easily detected. I don’t know why, since it’s not like sleeping in a snowy tree versus a jungle tree will make much of a difference if an excellent archer has an arrow aimed at me. It’s just, it’s just different, I guess.

 

And that’s why I’m currently up a lofty tree, nestled in the branches with the snow all around me and counting on the snow to provide at least some cover. The snowlands turned out to be fairly huge, and after trooping away from the Cornucopia steadily for about an hour, I figured I’d probably gone far enough. I took inventory of what I’d grabbed, too, and didn’t do too bad of a job. I have a small black backpack and a couple packets of dried fruit, crackers, and jerky. They won’t last too long, but I’m positive there’s much game hidden away in these snowstorms.

 

Earlier, during the trek, I heard two cannons go off while I was eating a quick piece of dried fruit. No surprise there: I already know whose faces are going to be up in the sky tonight.

 

Besides the cannons, though, it really was pleasant. The wind tickling my ears, the snow brushing my eyelashes... strangely, it almost felt like a religious experience. I don’t think I’ve ever been more at peace.

 

The sky’s darkening pretty quickly, and really, you’ve got to hand it to the Gamemakers for creating something so beautiful. No matter if the scenery and sky are fake or not, the horizon looks as if a dusky blue veil has been draped over it, and sequined gold stars sewn on. I only have to wait a couple more minutes before the Capitol anthem plays, and the seal is projected. They briefly flash Joonmyun’s face, and then Sehun’s, in ascending Sector order. There’s always a small symbol on the upper right corner of the picture that indicates the tributes’ power. Predictably, Joonmyun has a small water droplet, and Sehun a circular image made of many curved lines that suggests wind. After the small closing ditty, the seal disappears.

 

My peaceful day in the snowlands has put me at ease, perhaps too much. I can’t forget that there are people out there aiming to win, aiming to kill... and only two deaths on day one? That’s got to be some kind of record in Hunger Games history. After seeing those power symbols, I realize how little I know. If Joonmyun did indeed end up with water, then, thinking back to Stephanie’s words, Chanyeol must have gotten fire, too. I think at this point everyone knows Luhan’s power is telekinesis, and that Jongdae’s is electricity. I’m not sure how many of us saw Kris pick up Tao and fly off, but that’s another one I can personally vouch for. And... that’s it. Pathetic, really. I didn’t use my powers at all today, so I’m safe with that, but there’s still a fair amount left to be discovered.

 

Including Yixing’s.

 

Maybe it’s because he was the only tribute who talked to me much at all, or even pretended friendliness. Maybe because, for some reason, I feel like he would never kill someone who used to be a friend, no matter how much was at stake.

 

It hasn’t escaped me, either, that everyone’s allied up but me and Yixing. I would certainly last longer with an ally, and since I seem to like him more than the others, better Yixing than anyone else, right?

 

Allies won’t always be allies, though. It’s the problem that all allying tributes have to deal with. Some break up the alliance before it can happen, some backstab their allies, some die and watch their allies die for them. It’s unavoidable. So should I really be creating ties to people I might have to kill later?

 

And for the time being, my only answer can be no. I can’t bring myself to do it.

 

But I’m still thinking about it an hour later, when sleep finally claims me.

 

-

 

Yixing wipes the sweat off his brow with the back of his hand, but he knows it will only come back even more quickly. The sheer heat of this jungle is incredible, even as temperatures start to fall with the dusk. He wonders if he should have tried his luck in the grasslands after all.

 

But no. The reason he made a beeline straight for the jungle was because he saw the enormous potential in it. There are so many useful plants - some edible, some deadly poison. He’s glad he had the foresight to spend some time at the edible plants station. And it’s especially useful to him because he doesn’t have as much reason to fear the poison. He sees an interesting plant, and stoops briefly to pluck it from the dirt. He twirls it between his fingers, examining it in that peculiar fading light that arrives with night. He’s pretty sure it’s edible, but it’s getting to be too dark to tell, so he tosses it to the side, deciding not to take the risk. It’s not that he desperately needs food or water, since he managed to snag a full water bottle and a packet of nuts from the outskirts of the Cornucopia. But he plans on staying in the jungle for a while longer, so it would be a useful skill to be able to differentiate food from toxic.

 

The sky’s already quite dark, and earlier Yixing had stopped for a moment to watch the familiar Capitol seal. Yixing had never known Sehun well, but a wave of sadness sweeps through him when he thinks of Joonmyun, who Yixing remembers to be a quiet, well-mannered youth. In the days when the old Capitol was still in power, Joonmyun was never quite as taken with the affected Capitol lifestyle as most of them were. Neither, if Yixing recalls correctly, was his once-friend, Jongin. Jongin, who is essentially a good person, but also flawed. Everyone is flawed, though.

 

Yixing can see how much Jongin cares for Kyungsoo, and he’s glad Jongin has something, or someone, worth protecting. They’re a good pair, the two of them; Jongin like a raw, fiery sword, and Kyungsoo the one to temper him.

 

He’s just thinking maybe it’s time to settle down in a suitable tree when a vine comes out of nowhere and whips his face. He slaps the thick tendril away, wincing, and decides he’s definitely done moving for now. The tree next to him is looking pretty good, so he climbs up slowly onto a middle-ish fork. The thicket of vines does a good job of keeping him hidden. When he gently pats his face, his hand comes back dark and wet, covered in blood.

 

He must have been scratched pretty badly, but Yixing doesn’t think it’s poison. He holds his hand up to his face again, concentrating hard and really hoping this isn’t a time when his abilities choose to stop working. Thankfully, he soon gets the feeling that something warm is flowing from his palm, and feels the cut seal up. The blood abruptly stops dripping.

 

Yixing lets out a drawn out sigh and slumps over, breathing heavily. It’s really his own fault for not training more with it, but his ability takes so much out of him, even when used on a small cut like the one he just healed.

 

As the healing takes its toll, Yixing feels himself drifting off, and he’s tired, so tired...

 

-

 

“We totally got them good, man,” Tao laughs, as he picks up a rock and throws it as far as he can. He can’t even see where it lands, since it’s already fully night, but still thinks it’s fun.

 

Kris chuckles. “Right? I swear I almost saw Minseok’s eyes pop out when we took off. It was almost worth it.”

 

“Aw, c’mon. What big of a difference can it make? Everyone will know everyone else’s powers soon enough.”

 

“Yeah... it’s just.”

 

“What?”

 

“Forget it.”

 

“Damn right I will. You worry too much, Kris. Don’t I always tell you to stop worrying?” Tao laughs again, seeming to take pleasure just out of the sheer knowing that they are safe, powerful, and on top of their game. Nobody can hurt them out here in the grasslands, where they can fly away in an instant if needed. Not to mention that if the flying plan were to fail, he can always stop time while they make a leisurely getaway. Yes, he feels very invincible indeed.

 

Kris sneaks a sidelong glance at him. Tao’s young eyes gleam with a wild kind of excitement; his movements reveal his exhilaration, and this, Kris thinks, is what he loves best about Tao.

 

So he just laughs back in response and ruffles Tao’s hair, eliciting a groan.

 

“Hyung!”

 

“Your hair is so fluffy, Tao, I can’t help it!”

Tao grumbles, but Kris knows it’s all fake. “Well, if it’s because of that... I guess it’s alright then.”

 

Tao’s mood suddenly becomes more serious, and he turns to Kris, voice low and sincere. “Really, though, I’m super glad we decided to pair up. It’s been too long since we really got to talk. It’s the same with the others... I honestly miss everyone so much. But we got such great powers, huh? It feels really good to be here with you, just, like, I don’t know. You know?” He gestures around him.

 

“Yeah, Tao, I know.” Kris chuckles. “I think most of us are allied up. It’s just Minseok and Yixing, then. Poor guys. It really helps having someone with you... especially since if they do end up allying, Minseok’s gonna get huge benefits from Yixing’s power. Yixing, that lucky bastard. I couldn’t believe it when I saw him heal that nasty cut secretly during training. I don’t think anyone knows his power but himself and us. I feel so bad for Jongdae, though, that he lost his ally on day one. And Luhan - I don’t even want to talk about what he did to Sehun’s body. It’s just so sad, remembering how Luhan was before, and seeing what’s become of him now. Something inside him must have snapped.”

 

Kris pauses, then continues. “And I know what you mean... I miss everyone too.”

 

Tao nods and suddenly hugs Kris, who, having become accustomed to Tao’s many shows of affection, hugs him back tightly. “Hyu- Kris, I know this is kind of weird to bring up, but how good do you think our - sorry - your chances are? Of winning? And mine? Because we can’t stay allies forever, no matter how much I want us to.”

 

Kris sighs and runs a hand through his hair. “I can’t say for sure. And I’m not sure I particularly want to know. But let’s stay together as long as we can, alright? If it really comes down to that, we’ll split up before it happens.”

And Tao seems satisfied with that answer (because he doesn’t want to face the alternative).

 

The silence that comes after continues for a while, Tao throwing rocks, Kris just watching with a half smile lingering on his lips, before he turns away to look at the stars.

 

“Tao?”

 

Kris gives Tao a few seconds to answer, but when no answer seems forthcoming, he tries again.

 

“Tao? You there?”

 

A prickle of uneasiness starts to crawl up Kris’ spine, but before he can figure out exactly why, his blood runs cold at Tao’s whimper of pain.

 

“H-hyung.”

 

Kris is at his side in an instant. “What’s wrong? What happened? Did someone hurt you?”

 

Tao only holds out his arm, where a small pair of red holes indicates a snake bite. The entry points aren’t bleeding, but they look inflamed, and already a dark bruise is starting to spread under his skin.

 

“Kris, I- it was a black snake, it just came out of nowhere. I don’t feel too good, Kris.” Tao starts to shiver and he slides into Kris’ arms weakly.

 

“Is it still here?” Kris asks frantically.

 

But Tao is too weak to answer, and he closes his eyes. Kris, panicking, feels his forehead and jerks his hand back. Tao’s skin is already hot to the touch, burning up with fever.

 

“Tao!” Kris shakes him, panicking. “Tao, you gotta answer me. Stay with me!”

 

The air around them seems to ripple, and then become completely still, and then ripple again. Kris knows what’s happening; he’s experienced this many times before. It’s Tao’s time controlling power. But something’s off about it this time.

 

It’s the poison, Kris realizes, that’s doing this. Tao isn’t in control of his abilities.

 

Kris tries futilely once again to talk to Tao.

 


“Tao! Can you hear me?” But Tao only moans and turns over in response, his entire body shivering with heat. He murmurs something deliriously, and sighs.

 

And just when everything’s on the brink of collapsing - his friendship, his love, his future - Kris’ whole body stiffens as he’s struck with a thought: a thought that can save Tao.

 

Yixing.

 

He picks up Tao and positions him carefully on his back, getting ready to fly.

 

His cheeks are slick with an unfamiliar wetness.

 

“Hold on, Tao. It’s all going to be alright, I promise. Okay?”

 

But Tao doesn’t answer.

 

-