Chill

Frostbite

Chill

 

-

The inside of the Town Hall, like everything else found in the Sectors, is totally run-down. Once, it might have been a fine place, but now the cobwebs just make me want to sneeze. Once we are all inside, Boa gestures at the ragged couches, and we all take seats, shooting wary glances at each other. She waits until we are all seated, and then briefs us on what’s to come.

 

“As you are all very aware, circumstances are a bit different this year, but that doesn’t change much about the games. I’m sure you all know how they work. You will be taken in a bit to the Capitol, and after the opening festivities you will all be operated on to receive your unique powers. Since having a power is quite a bit of an advantage depending on what you get, you will be given two days to test the extent of your abilities; however, you will be kept separate from each other, so that there will no unfairnesses on any side. Of course, the evaluations, also private, will be next, and then the games will begin the next day.” She checks her watch. “I have more to say, but that will come later. It’s time for us to depart. Come.”

 

She beckons to us, and we walk out the Town Hall from the back entrance. The train tracks are right outside, and we board one by one, stiff and silent. I am the last, and as the door closes smoothly behind me with a faint whooshing noise, I can’t help but feel scared.

 

-

 

The train is more that I could have imagined. The seats are wide and comfy, there are multiple dining carriages, and everything is sleek and plated in chrome. Though I know it must be nothing compared to the other marvels at the Capitol, the technology required for it to run astounds me. The new Capitol isn’t as showy as the old one was, but they have certainly not given up all their comforts.

 

Even more surprising is that we each get our own rooms. It isn’t so different for most of us, who had our own rooms at home anyways, but it’s still pleasant, since I thought we’d all be put into bunks or something. Plus, my new temporary quarters are much nicer. Boa left after giving us our rooming assignments, telling us only to show up at the main dining carriage for dinner, so I guess we have until that time to do whatever we want. I’m tempted to explore the train, but I need the time alone to take in the shock of actually being picked as a tribute. As the pool of candidates dwindled, I had known it was a possibility, but still. It doesn’t seem quite real. And to be put with eleven of my once closest friends...

 

After my bit of self-reflection, I walk slowly around my room, fingertips trailing behind me. I feel quite aimless, and when I discover a shower, I realize I’m grimy. I don’t know how long it’s been since I felt really clean, so I step in.

 

The shower in itself is a marvel. For a moment, the hot water pours over my head, and I feel temporarily free. But in the next second, my worries are all back again, and I start thinking about what Boa was saying back in the Town Hall. None of it is new knowledge. Since the Capitol has retained that the Hunger Games are a mandatory event to watch, all citizens know what it is about. We know how Katniss herself won her own games, and her whole story from then on: escaping the Quarter Quell, joining the District 13 rebels, and finally taking out Coin and Snow in one blow. She refused the presidency at first and retreated back to District 12, where she married Peeta and lived as a recluse. But after a few years, when the presidency was offered to her again, she took it, for whatever reason. My belief has always been that she has deaths on her shoulders to avenge, and a lot of guilt. Everyone was shocked when she reinstated the Hunger Games, but nobody could do anything about it. The case she made was convincing; let the old Capitol have a taste of their own medicine. She founded the Sectors, and true to her promise, Snow’s granddaughter was in the very first Hunger Games. In almost every way, she made the new Hunger Games parallel to the old ones. Victors go to live in the new Capitol. They are accepted as a normal citizen, but this does not extend to family members. Of course, the differences being that there are no longer mentors, and the big one of the tributes possessing powers. Other than that, they are essentially the same. In the end, power always corrupts. Katniss stepped up to her position meaning well, but in the end we have the same situation she herself rebelled against. The oppressed have just become the oppressors.

 

By now, my fingers are starting to wrinkle, having been in the shower for so long, and I step out and dry myself. The drawer holds all manner of clothes, so I just shrug and pick out a grey shirt and pants. The clock tells me dinner will be served in five minutes, so I leave early because there’s a chance I might get lost on the way. However, I find my way to the appropriate carriage in due time, and pause with my hand on the knob. I have a feeling I know what Boa wants to discuss with us, and I’d rather not consider it. I don’t have any other choices, though, so I turn the knob and enter.

 

Upon my entrance, the room falls silent for a second, and then conversation starts up again. I look at the round dining table, where everyone is seated and eating already. It appears I am the last to arrive. I take the empty seat between Yixing, who offers a small smile, and Kyungsoo, who gazes rather mournfully at me before looking away. Good. Less people to talk to.

 

My hopes are suddenly dashed, though, when Boa signals for us to quiet down. “Go on, guys, please enjoy the food. I only ask that you are listening while I speak. Afterwards, you are free to be dismissed and do whatever you want. In addition, you are not required to always dine in this carriage. As I said, it is only for right now.” She picks a pastry delicately off her plate, studying it in the chandelier light. “We’re here tonight to discuss alliances.” At her words, several eyes flick up, and then back down to stare uninterestedly at plates. Tao stops eating, food halfway to his mouth. I see Boa faintly roll her eyes at his reaction.

 

“Some of you look surprised. I can’t imagine why. Alliances are an important part of the Hunger Games. You all know that. Now, we’re not discussing alliances so much as letting you know in advance. Be prepared to pick your teams, because you will need them. Especially since you will not know anyone else’s powers until the Hunger Games are in full speed, I suggest you choose wisely. This can be the difference between life and death. I was told that you are all fairly close friends. I know this may be hard, but you cannot all be part of the same team.” Nobody is really listening, and Boa slams her hand down on the table, rattling the silverware and plates. Everybody stops eating. “Are you listening?” We just stare at her. She sighs, stands up, and says, “Don’t say I didn’t try. From now on, your life is in your own hands.” She exits the carriage, miffed.

 

As soon as the door closes behind her, the room blossoms with conversations again. Jongin stretches, yawns obscenely, and states, “Wow, is that pathetic little conversation what she called us here for? What a waste of time. C’mon, Kyungsoo, let’s go.” He drapes an arm possessively over Kyungsoo’s shoulder, and they both stand and leave the room. The rest of dinner passes quickly and awkwardly. Everyone is pretending they don’t care about what Boa says, but we are all sneaking furtive glances across the table, sizing each other up, trying to see past old friendships. I know because I’m doing the same.

 

Would Kris make a good ally? I don’t know... Tao is a formidable fighter though, if I remember correctly. Luhan... he looks innocent, but he might have changed. Who knows if he’ll backstab me or not? What about Yixing? No, he’s so weak. But who will be his ally? He’ll get slaughtered in the first seconds...

 

After we are all stuffed with as much as we can hold, the room starts to empty out. Yixing smiles at me again when he leaves the room. In facts, he smiles at everyone, no doubt trying to make friends, but who knows? I can’t trust anyone’s intentions at this point.

 

Once again, I’m the last to leave, probably since I was the last to arrive. The empty dining room is a bit creepy when it isn’t filled with people, and I leave in a hurry. The door clicks shut and I walk down the dimly lit corridors to my room. I hear faint noises coming from a room that looks like any other, and although I know it’s wrong, I press my ear to the door. My eyes widen as I make out the voices of Jongin and Kyungsoo. Are they sharing a room?

 

“Hush, Kyungsoo, don’t cry. Somebody might hear.”

 

Sniffling.

 

“S-sorry Jongin. I don’t know what to do. Oh god, I’m so scared... I’m going to die. I’m going to die!”

 

“Don’t say that. I promise, I’ll always protect you. Now shh... just go to sleep. It’ll be over soon.”

 

I flinch back and continue quickly down the hallway, ashamed to be eavesdropping on such a private conversation. Obviously, Kyungsoo and Jongin have paired up. It feels wrong, somehow, to hear them in such a vulnerable state, even if they are my enemies now. As I slip quietly into my own room and fall into bed, not bothering to strip my clothes, I wonder what the other alliances will reveal themselves to be. I suppose... I suppose only time will tell. And then, with that thought, my eyes finally close to undisturbed darkness.

 

-