Tingle

Frostbite

Tingle

 

 

-

 

 

I suppose tributes are treated well, since they are the candidates the Capitol will be cheering for later. This is probably why we always have breathing room, even when the crowd becomes overly enthusiastic. Or, I guess, we are just seen as lesser human beings, and they don’t want to touch us. Boa leads us through the paved street right up to a square where we are given seats up in the front. There is a balcony above us, and big screens framing the building for those watching from farther back. There’s a small red stain a few feet in front of us, and all the tributes share looks uneasily, guessing that it is where Snow coughed himself to death, or where Katniss shot Coin. Who knows? But for whatever reason, she hasn’t had it removed, although Capitol technology could easily do so. The screens flicker on, and the crowd collectively quiets down. The glass door on the balcony opens, and I clench my hands on the armrests of my chair as President Everdeen walks out.

 

I call her Katniss in my mind. Katniss is the girl who won the Hunger Games, and Katniss is the mockingjay who played such a crucial part in the uprisings. President Everdeen, to me, is the part of Katniss that died with her empathy. She is the one who runs the government, runs the Hunger Games, and exercises her hold on the nation. And so it is President Everdeen that stands before me, not Katniss. She sweeps her gaze over us, and then turns to her audience.

 

“Welcome, people of the Capitol! Today we are here to commemorate the beginning of the Eighty-Seventh Hunger Games, and it is my utmost pleasure to introduce this year’s tributes!” The screens show our faces, scared or nervous or stone hard, and the citizens cheer. The focus returns to Katniss once we have had our brief screen time. She stands tall, confident and formidable. Her hair falls down her back in brown waves, for after the rebellion she never wore it in her trademark braid again. The years have given her wrinkles, but her features remain largely the same. She smiles down at us, and I know she is not somebody to mess with. I will have to tread carefully around her.

 

Katniss raises a hand, and there is immediate silence. She continues pleasantly, tilting her head slightly. “Thank you. You all know by now, we have twelve tributes this year that are all males, since there was a shortage of females in the Sectors. Now, our tributes will be taken in to be made over, and tonight we will have our opening ceremony. I hope to see you all there!” The screen cuts in to an overview of the crowd, and then Katniss disappears back into the building. The crowd is starts to disperse, and Boa stands up and takes us into a nearby building. The sounds of festivities outside do not completely disappear, but they are at least slightly muffled.

 

The building consists of a big, wide room with multiple doors placed on the sides. The first thing I notice immediately is the presence of twelve simple black carriages that are lined up in front of a bigger wide door. Each carriage is paired with a black horse, and I’m guessing that door leads onto the parade path. A small group of people walk up to us, and Boa reads names out loud, sending us off with our respective stylists. I end up with a bubbly young girl who can’t be much older than I am. When Boa pairs us up, she skips excitedly up to me.

 

“Hi, I’m Stephanie, and I’ll be your stylist for the Games. It’s so nice to meet you! We’ll be going to the dressing room right now, and you’ll get your clothes for the parade. Does that sounds okay?” She smiles brightly, holding out her hand.

 

After a moment’s hesitation, I take it. I want to hate her, but I can’t, when I know she only means well.

 

“Hi Stephanie, I’m Minseok. It’s nice to meet you too.”

 

She smiles again and we make our way to one of the doors off to the right side. Inside is a spacious sitting room containing comfortable couches. A large bathroom and closet are attached. Stephanie gestures at the couch.

 

“Okay, Minseok. We’re going to get started. For now, your only job is to sit still. I realized it might be uncomfortable for you to undress in front of me, so my assistants will help you. They’ll be over very soon, so just listen to them and you’ll be fine.” She studies me for a second, then turns and disappears into the closet, closing the door behind her. Actually, I do feel better knowing her assistants will be working with me, and I appreciate her gesture. If I had gotten a less considerate stylist, who knows what I might have had to do? Plus, Stephanie is easy to get along with and I don’t think she will make me wear anything atrocious, since she seems to be sensible as well.

 

True to her word, a few boys come into the room a few minutes later. To my surprise, they are as easy-going as Stephanie, and make conversation with me as they work. We talk about our families, what we like to do in our free time - everything but the Games. In good time, I am cleaned up and polished. The boys bid me farewell, leaving through the same door, and I say goodbye back, sorry to see them go. I hadn’t realized it had been so long since I had a proper conversation with someone.

 

Stephanie emerges from the closet as soon as they leave. She’s holding a bright red shirt printed with birds and lime green pants. I eye the outfit uneasily. Maybe I misjudged her, and she will put me into something ridiculous. To my horror, she holds out the clothes.

 

“Here, I found the perfect outfit! Try these on.” I reach out slowly, hoping it will look terrible on me so I can switch. Just as I am about to grab the clothes, Stephanie’s serious face lets down and she breaks out into a huge grin, laughing. “I’m just kidding! I wouldn’t really make you wear something like that. After all, you want to represent your Sector well.” She throws the clothes carelessly back into the closet, and I smile despite myself. Stephanie isn’t bad at all. I like her even more when she produces a second outfit from behind her back: this one is made up of a simple black muscle shirt with the number ‘1’ printed in small white letters near the bottom right. The pants are ripped black skinny jeans that almost have a silvery sheen to them. There’s also a pair of black shoes with silver studs. She tosses the bundle at me, and points to the bathroom. “Change. Now.”

 

I head obediently into the bathroom, thanking Stephanie in my mind once again for being so considerate. Once done dressing, I look into the mirror and pause. The makeover the boys did for me has made my whole appearance look softer and less rough, but somehow more serious, more intense. I’m not sure if I like that or not. Stephanie’s choice of clothes, however, suits me. I take one last searching look at myself. It’s strange, the way clothes can change a person so much and how people perceive that person.

 

When Stephanie sees me, she nods to herself and produces a few last ornaments: a simple black leather bracelet, and a silver chain. She also uses a black eyeliner pencil to highlight my lids. Finally, she holds up a black stud. There is a question in the way she looks at me.

 

“No.” I’ve been good and listened to her so far, but this is just going too far. Stephanie her head. “Are you sure? Think of the Games as a way to become somebody completely different. This is your chance to present an entirely new image to the world.”

 

“I-...” In fact, I don’t know. Stephanie’s words ring true, but I’m desperately stubborn and want to hold onto a trace of my old self. I stare at the earring. My choice was made as soon as she pulled it out.

 

“Do it.”

 

Stephanie comes over, and I clench my fists to my side, but it’s over soon - just a small prick in my lobe and it’s over. Now, when I look in the mirror, I’ve changed again. Somehow, the earring and eyeliner and the bracelet and necklace have all added to the impression that I’m... dangerous.

 

Stephanie looks at me. “So, what do you think?”

 

I look in the mirror. There was old Minseok, but that’s not me. This new Minseok is me.

 

I grin.

 

“I like it.”

 

-