Epilogue

A Broken Heart Only Heals With Time

            It was cold. Temperatures were dropping and the wind didn’t help with decreasing the chill either. Two figures trudged down the sidewalk towards a familiar place. It was where they had met another person frequently.

            “Do you think he’s okay?” one of the two said, the voice muffled by the scarf wrapped around the lower half of his face.

            There was a beat of silence as the other thought about the answer. “Yeah, I think he’s doing alright.”

            Silence wrapped around the pair as they continued to fight against the wind. They finally reached the spot and one of them sat down on the bench that was right there. The other stood behind the bench and placed a hand on a shoulder.

            “Hi again,” the first started, and continued talking without waiting for a response. “I know it’s been a little while, but I just got busy. I went back to school so I can finish my degree and start a business. I’m not sure what kind of business though. Maybe something with renting out studios to recording artists or dance groups. I know you would like that.

            “I’ve been okay besides the fact that I don’t see you as often as I would like. I still replay a bunch of memories to remind me of you when I can’t see you. Like when we went to the park once and you got hit with the soccer ball some kids were kicking around. Or that time when I accidentally cut myself and you freaked out, thinking I had to go to the emergency room even though it was solved with just a bandage. I miss those a lot.”

            The figure on the bench went silent for a moment and the person behind squeezed the shoulder. “Luhan, you’re going to be okay.”

            “I know,” Luhan said, looking straight ahead. “But it’s my fault that I haven’t seen him in a while.” His eyes softened as he looked in front of him and a small smile formed. “You know, it’s our anniversary. Two years to the day. I miss you a lot, I don’t know if I’ve said it before. But you are someone who is impossible to forget, you know? Like, I think of you over and over again and you don’t leave my head. No matter what, you’re just everywhere. I see you on every corner and on every street. I wish I could take back everything that I said, but I know it’s too late to do that. I only hope that you can forgive me.”

            Luhan took a deep, shaky breath and his head bowed forward. Tears welled up in his eyes and he tried his hardest not to let them fall because they would just freeze on his face. “I love you, I really do, and I’m so sorry that it ended this way,” he whispered.

            Ignoring the hand on his shoulder and the coldness on the ground, Luhan kneeled on the ground and bowed formally, letting his forehead touch the dirt.

            “Forgive me,” he whispered, his voice filled with sorrow and guilt.

            “Luhan, we should go now,” the male behind him said, helping him up from the earth and slowly leading him away as the blonde sobbed quietly, wiping his tears before they could freeze on his face.

            “There was nothing you could have done. He had made up his mind before, you know that,” the other male said softly and Luhan nodded.

            “I know… It doesn’t hurt any less though.. I’m sorry I put you through that,” Luhan whispered as they walked away. "Thank you for being here for me though Sehun."

            They walked home, away from the past, away from the cemetery, and away from the tombstone that read:

Here lies Kim Jongin

A beloved friend, son, and person.

You will never be forgotten.

 


A/N And that's a wrap! I know it's short, but I couldn't find a way to phrase this any other way right now. Thank you all for the support and the 90 subs. This has been my most successful story thus far actually. Please check out my other story, it's a oneshot called Strawberries in the Summertime, just click on the title to get to the story. Thank you all again for the support!