Chapter 4

A Broken Heart Only Heals With Time

Jongin woke up with a killer headache and thought back to the night before. He remembered leaving the restaurant, then a taxi to a bar, then… nothing. He groaned in frustration as he realized that he succumbed to drinking again. Tears of frustration and shame pricked his eyes as he stared up at his ceiling. Will this never end?

            A knock sounded and Yixing poked his head in. “Jongin? Are you okay?” he asked softly, seeing the younger gazing upward.

            Silence filled the room and the older male sighed softly when he got no response. “Jongin, I know your head is hurting,” Yixing said, walking in and sitting on the side of the bed.

            “It’s not the only thing hurting hyung,” the dancer answered blankly, not looking at his friend. “I messed up…again.”

            “It’s okay,” Yixing said softly, understanding why his younger friend had started drinking. “Jongin—“

            “No, it’s not okay!” Jongin exclaimed, sitting up abruptly with a wince. Yixing held out the medicine and water without a word, watching as Jongin took it and sighed deeply. “I screwed up. I missed out on my chance. Now yours and Kris hyung’s hard work has gone down the drain…”

            The brunette gave the younger a hard look and spoke sternly. “Listen to me Kim Jongin. Our hard work has not gone down the drain just because you gave in one night. No, if anything, that shows that you’re still willing to change and get better because you acknowledge it. So stop pitying yourself and get up and face everything you have to face.”

            Jongin looked at his friend with surprised eyes, never have heard him talk that way. “Okay… Okay hyung, I will,” he said with a small smile, swinging his legs out of the bed, ready to get up.

            “Good then,” Yixing said, giving him a hug. “There’s food downstairs, I cooked for you. I’m going to head out though. Remember, it’s okay, but you just have to face your problems, not run away,” he added gently, ruffling the younger’s hair affectionately.

            Jongin nodded and got up out of bed to get ready for the day. Walking downstairs soon after his friend left, he found the food and smiled gratefully. He sent a text to thank Yixing for the food and tucked in to make sure he would be okay before going into work.

            The days passed slowly, too slowly. Every day was another day thinking about the boy he lost his chance with. The boy who went to his best friend. The boy he still loved. Of course, he saw him fleetingly during the weeks, at the grocery store, the library, around town. After all, they only lived within minutes of each other.

            Fall came and went and the next thing he knew, it was winter. Which meant that his and Luhan’s anniversary would have been soon. One and a half years… So much has changed…

            Making his own resolution (it had nothing to do with the holidays), Jongin decided to write a letter to everyone, just to show his appreciation for everyone. He left Sehun’s and Luhan’s for last because he knew he wouldn’t be able to write them quickly. His hope was to get them out before the New Year, so they would be able to read them and start of the year right.

            He was in the middle of multi-tasking, writing a letter and studying for finals when the knock came at his door. Thinking it must be Kris or Lay, he called out that he was coming and went over, opening it and revealing him.

            Silence engulfed the two as Jongin just stared, wide-eyed, at the other. Finally, Luhan gave a small smile and asked, “Can I come in?”


            Silence engulfed the two of them as they sat at the kitchen table. Luhan was nursing a cup of coffee; two sugars no cream, just like Jongin remembered it. Jongin just sat there, staring at the other, unable to form words.

            “I’m sorry.”

            The two words broke the uncomfortable and the dark haired dancer was surprised. “Why are you sorry?”

            “I left without letting you explain and then this…fiasco with Sehun,” Luhan said quietly. He turned to the side and coughed a little, taking a sip of the coffee afterwards.

            Jongin smiled lightly and chuckled softly. “No, I’m the one who should be sorry… I just couldn’t break off something I had to when I started dating you. It’s my fault this whole thing happened.”

            “Do you still have feelings for me?”

            Jongin sat there, pondering that question.  Did he? If he was honest with himself, the answer was yes, he did. But it was the question of whether he should tell Luhan that or not.  “I can’t tell you..” he said quietly, looking away.

            There was silence before a chair scraped and a door opened and closed. Jongin looked up with heavy eyes and sighed, seeing how Luhan left. He heard thunder sound only moments later before the rain began to pound against the walls of the house. Well… There goes my chance…

 


A/N Super short, I know, and I'm so sorry for making you all wait ages for this and it be so freaking short >< but I have plans to be finishing up this story within the next two weeks (there will be one more chapter, and an epilogue), and post up a oneshot I've been working on asap lol. I have a slew of stories planned out and starting to work on so please, please bear with me for now ^^" Thank you all for being so patient and not hating me when I don't update for months ._. *gives you all cookies as thanks*