Chapter 3

A Broken Heart Only Heals With Time

            “…Luhan and I are engaged.”

            Just like that, silence surrounded all twelve of them.

            Just like that, Yifan and Yixing feared that their hard work just went down the drain.

            And just like that… Jongin felt his heart shattering all over again.

            “Wh-what?” Baekhyun stuttered out, and even Tao seemed to sober up.

            “Lu and I are engaged,” Sehun repeated, a small smile on his face.

            Jongin almost lurched out of his seat at the repetition and the nickname. That’s my nickname for him! You can’t just do this! He’s supposed to be with me!

            Yixing and Yifan shared a look and looked over at Jongin, who was wide eyed and clutching the table cloth.

            “Jongin, are you –“ Kris started, leaning over to the latter, only to be cut off as Jongin stood up abruptly.

            “I’m sorry everyone, but please excuse me… I just remembered I have to choreograph a routine for a class next week…” Jongin said, looking down at the table. He glanced up at Luhan once before ducking his head again, mumbling a “Sorry” as he left the restaurant.


            Yixing and Kris watched the younger as he left, concern in their gazes. They both hoped that the younger wouldn’t turn back to alcohol or anything. He had gotten so much better…

            Another pair of eyes gazed after Jongin sorrowfully, hoping he could take back what another said.

            Jongin… I’m sorry….


            Later that night, at Sehun’s house, Luhan was sitting on the bed, his hands clenched into fists. He was looking down, a million thoughts running through his head at one time. The door opened and he still didn’t look up, not even after the bed dipped with the weight of the person next to him.

            “Luhan? Are you okay hyung?” Sehun asked, wrapping his arms around the elder’s waist.

            “Why did you tell them that we were engaged?” Luhan asked, his voice hard and cold. He was mad, no, furious. “I told you I wasn’t ready to tell them because I still haven’t told you my answer.”

            “Why do you need to think about this?” Sehun snapped, getting up off the bed and pacing the room.

            “I’ve already told you Sehun!” Luhan cried, finally looking up. “I’m not ready, and you know I’m not ready!”

            “Is it because of him?” the younger male asked, his voice gone quiet. “Is it because of Jongin?”

            “I don’t want to hurt him. And I don’t want the misunderstanding of everyone. Sehun, you know that you’re taking this out of proportion. I’m not ready to move on yet, so why do you keep pushing me?”

            “Because I love you.”

            Silence wrapped around the two of them before Luhan stood up. “I’m going for a walk.”

            The blonde haired male was at the door when Sehun’s voice stopped him. “Why won’t you say it back to me?”

            “Because I’m not ready Sehun.”


            “Jongin, you’ve had enough.”

            Said male heard the voice, he just didn’t process it as he knocked back yet another shot. “I want another shot,” he told the bartender.

            The bartender was about to get it when the voice spoke again. “No, he’s had enough, he’s cut off.”

            “Hyung!” Jongin slurred, turning his blurry vision to the tall male next to him. “Let me have at least one more.”

            Kris frowned, shaking his head. “Jongin, you can’t let one thing set you back. You’ve done so much—“

            “Yeah, and look where that’s gotten me. My love is in the arms of someone else, and my plan to get him back failed. What do I do now hyung? Huh?”

            Kris’s frown deepened until he was forced to catch the younger as he passed out and fell sideways out of his chair. “Aish… Kim Jongin, what am I going to do with you?”

            The taller male sighed and paid for Jongin’s drinks before hoisting him up on his shoulder, carrying him out of the bar to his car.

            On the way home, Kris told Lay what had happened and that Jongin was okay. Wasted, but he was okay. Once at the younger’s home, Kris got out, but paused when he saw a figure sitting at Jongin’s doorstep. Walking closer, the tall male tilted his head to try to make out the person. “Luhan?” he asked, surprised to see the other there.

            “Oh… Kris,” Luhan said, standing up and walking over. “Have you seen Jongin? I knocked, but there was no answer…”

            Kris hesitated, unsure if he should tell his friend that yes, he had seen Jongin. After thinking a moment, he nodded. “Yeah… But Luhan, don’t think too badly of him please? I need your help in keeping the door open..”

            Luhan tilted his head, confused, as Kris opened the passenger and got Jongin’s keys out and handed them to him. “Please Luhan?” Kris prompted, causing said male to walk to the door and open it.

            Kris hoisted Jongin up and carried him inside the house, making Luhan frown in even more confusion. After a little struggle of getting the younger into his bed, Kris walked back down to see Luhan sitting at the dining room table, staring blankly at it.

            “Are you okay?”

            “Sehun and I are not engaged, just to let you know,” Luhan started, still looking at the table.

            His friend sat down next to him and frowned. “Why did he tell everyone that then?”

            “He asked me to marry him. But I keep on saying wait. I haven’t given him my answer yet. And he doesn’t like it…”

            “Have you moved on Luhan?” Kris asked seriously, leaning forward to try to see the other’s face.

            The silence lasted a few minutes and Kris was about to ask again when Luhan responded quietly. “…No.”

            Kris sat back in his chair and ran a hand over his face. “You don’t think you can, huh?”

            A nod in response.

            “You’re torturing him Luhan,” Kris said, not even specifying who he was talking about.

            “I try to break up with Sehun, I have, many times. But every time he brings up the point of why Jongin and I ended, because he was cheating,” Luhan murmured, his eyes still not looking up from the table.

            “It was a mistake. And Jongin knows that,” Kris said before taking a closer look at his friend with slightly narrowed eyes. “You think he’s still with Kyungsoo, don’t you?”

            There was no answer needed for Kris to know what the other was thinking. “Luhan, he’s not. He ended it with Kyungsoo not even a week after you left. He started drinking, wasting away his life, feeling horrible for what he did. Jongin was torn up about what he did. It took him six months to get over it, and even now, he’s not over you. Luhan. He wants you back and he was going to try his hardest to do it. Why do you think he looks so good now? He finally got a job doing what he loves, he went back to school… To help better himself, sure. But both Yixing and I know the real reason. He wants to try to get you back.”

            Luhan stayed still for a moment until his shoulders shook slightly. Alarmed, Kris placed his hand on the other’s shoulder, only to have his friend turn and give him a fierce hug, crying quietly. “Oh God, I’m horrible,” he cried, burying his face in the other’s chest, something that surprised Kris. Am I that bad in comforting people? he thought in alarm.

            “I didn’t know, I didn’t know any of this. I didn’t know how he was doing and God, I’m a horrible person,” Luhan cried as Kris patted his back, trying to console his friend.

            “I left without let him explain anything or tell me anything and I went to his best friend. And now Sehun is so attached he can’t let me go while I’m not over Jongin. And now, I hear that I put him through hell when I left and tonight ruined him again. Tell me the truth. He was drinking again and that’s why you brought him home, right?”

            He looked up at Kris, who just nodded quietly. Luhan took in a shuddering breath and sat up straight, wiping his face of his tears. “I’m sorry… for everything… and… Thank you for watching over him,” he said, getting up and walking to the door.

            Kris blinked, everything happening fast and making him confused. “Wait… Luhan!” he called out, but the other male was already gone. Kris ran a hand through his hair, frustrated. “Damn, he’s so confusing sometimes…”

 


A/N Does it seem to go a little fast? O.o I'm not completely sure.. Anyways, I know I'm late, but I got busy.. ^^" School is starting, like tomorrow, so it's a little hectic.. That's also why I decided to update every two weeks, to give myself time to write and post since I'm starting school and might start working soon.. 

But yep, here's chapter 3~ Comments are loved <3

I saw a couple of comments about how Sehun and Luhan are already engaged, but Sehun has liked Luhan for a long time, even when Lu and Kai were dating. I'll also definitely try to make longer chapters and reply to all of your comments, because I do read them all ^^

Also, I'm gonna advertise another fic I'm working on at the same time starring Baekhyun :)

Normality

The first chapter isn't up yet since I was waiting for subscribers, but it will be on a same two week update, just alternating with this story ^^"

So yeah~ Author-nim, out~! *peace signs*