Chapter 5

A Broken Heart Only Heals With Time

            The next day, Jongin was teaching a class when he got a phone call. ”Class, take a break, I gotta take this.”

            He walked into the hallway before answering it. “Hello?”

            “Jongin, are you busy?”

            “Lay hyung? No, I’m not, I let the class take a break. Why, what’s up?”

            “It’s Luhan… He didn’t go home last night and Sehun was worried sick—“

            “Luhan’s missing?” Jongin asked, alarm creeping into his voice.

            “Let me finish, Jongin,” Lay said sternly and the younger shut up. “Kris got a call this morning from the hospital saying that Luhan was admitted early this morning. Apparently, he stayed at the park all night in the rain, not going home and not seeking shelter so he got sick. The fact that he stayed out all night and it rained all night didn’t help either.”

            “But he’s okay?” Jongin asked softly, feeling terrible. Maybe if he hadn’t told Luhan he couldn’t tell him his feelings the older would have stayed and nobody would be in this mess.

            “Yeah, he’s okay. Kris is with him now and visiting hours are tonight so you can come down and see him. Don’t worry too much, okay? You’ll see him tonight.”

            With that, Lay finished talking to Jongin and hung up, leaving the younger to face his class and finish out the day.

            As soon as class ended around 8pm, Jongin went straight to the hospital, biting his lip and worried for Luhan. He got to the hospital and asked the nurse in charge where Luhan was. After receiving the room number, he took the elevator up. Once getting to the room, he was greeted with ‘hi’s and ‘hey’s from his friends. Scanning the room, he noticed that Sehun wasn’t there, but decided not to question it for now.

            “Guys, let’s give Luhan some room to breathe,” Yixing said all of a sudden, giving Jongin a meaningful look. “Let’s go get chicken at the restaurant down the street, like we used to.”

            The guys all filed out of the room with the exception of Jongin. He just sat down in the chair next to the hospital bed. “How are you feeling?” he asked softly.

            “I’ve been better,” Luhan said with a slight, hoarse chuckle.

            Jongin couldn’t bring himself to laugh back as he just looked at the floor guiltily. “I’m sorry,” he whispered to the floor after a moment.

            “It’s not your fault,” Luhan said, immediately knowing what the younger was talking about. “Come and sit,” he added, nodding to the chair to his right.

            Jongin sat down and refused to look at Luhan. “Yes,” he mumbled and he could sense the other jerked sharply to look at him.

            “What?”

            “Yes, I still have feelings for you,” the younger mumbled. “I changed mainly to get you back, but then Sehun announced that you were engaged and I just… gave up on us.”

            Luhan breathed out shakily, not expecting Jongin to tell him this now. “I still love you, you know,” he replied. “I never told Sehun I loved him because I wasn’t sure if I was over you or not.”

            Jongin bit his lip and hesitantly took Luhan’s hand. “Would you be willing to start over with me?” he asked softly.

            Unfortunately, there was no time to answer as the door opened and Sehun rushed in. “Oh my gosh, Luhan! I was so worried when they called me and –“

            He cut off when he saw Jongin sitting there next to Luhan and frowned. Jongin had yanked his hand back when the door first showed signs of opening so thank goodness the younger didn’t see that, but he could just see the gears working in Sehun’s mind of what his fiancé and his best friend were doing together.

            “Oh,” he just said and walked out, slamming the door.

            “I’ll go talk to him,” Jongin said, running after his friend.

            He caught up to him outside the hospital and grabbed his arm. “Sehun—“

            He was cut off since he had to duck to dodge the punch Sehun threw his way. “Just go away Jongin,” he hissed. “I don’t want to talk to the backstabber of a best friend.”

            “What the hell? You have the nerve to tell that to me?” Jongin asked, his voice rising. “You’re the one that screwed my boyfriend!”

            “You were cheating on him long before I took his ity,” Sehun spat out, throwing another punch, which Jongin dodged again.

            “I don’t want to fight you Sehun,” Jongin pleaded and Sehun just stopped, but started walking away with a scoff.

            “Go to hell.”

            Jongin watched with emotions churning as Sehun stalked off. However, he caught sight of a car speeding down the road where Sehun was crossing. “Sehun!” he yelled, trying to get him to see the danger.

            When he didn’t get a response, he started running, feeling dread fill his being. Because of their fight, Sehun wasn’t even paying attention to anything. “Sehun!” he yelled once more before he reached the road and sprinted the last distance in a desperate attempt to get to his friend.

            “Sehun!”

            White lights blinded him as brakes screeching filled the air and then nothing.

 


A/N So yes, this is the last chapter before the epilogue. This is actually one of my more successful stories, despite it not being my best ^^" But thank you so much for the 80+ subs for this story and thank you for sticking with me and being patient with my slow updates. Please don't forget to check out my oneshot in progress, Strawberries in the Summertime, and I'll try to get this epilogue up as soon as I can :)