003

The Voice of Summer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Kill the prince with the dagger when you find him. Love between humans and mermaids are forbidden,” the words echoed in her thoughts repeatedly. She tried to find the source of the voice. She knew it was her; soft, elegant but stern. She called out her name but she didn’t receive any reply. Krystal quickly woke up from her thought, shivering. She looked around and found herself back in the castle.

She saw Ji Yong was holding her hand with his and he was already sleeping soundly. ‘So that’s the source of the warmth’ she thought. The room was dark but a little light entered through the window; the sun was slowly rising. She pulled her hand slowly to avoid waking Ji Yong up and walked towards the curtains. She pulled the curtain a little bit and watched the sun rise.

The sun was slowly rising from the horizon; a bright coloured of faded orange wrapped the sky. The sun looked like it was rising at the end of the horizon but Krystal had never found it. She had been traveling under the sea to find it but the end was not found. She remembered the incident five years ago, the huge storm that happened that time was actually her fault. The calmness of the sea follows the calmness of the king. She made her father furious which made the storm on the surface. She felt guilty for the lives she had taken indirectly but she saved a young boy around her age.

Suddenly her thoughts were disturbed by the sound of the doors creaking open. The maids were surprised to see her up but Krystal put one finger on her lips, signalling to stay silent. They obeyed her and quietly prepared her for the day. Just like the usual days, she had her bath and wore a pretty dress. The maids left when they finished combing her hair. She sat on the bed beside Ji Yong, thinking of a plan.

She went closer to the prince’s face and pecked his cheek. Usually it was the prince who would wake her up but this time the situation over-turn. With just one kiss on the cheek, Ji Yong’s eyes opened slowly. Krystal giggled as she watched his sleepy face. The prince wasn’t entirely conscious; he was still sleeping somewhere in him. He rubbed his eyes a few times and yawned widely. When he finally received his senses, he was surprised to see Krystal up.

“You’re up early,” he slightly smile and stared at her. Krystal just nodded and left the room but before her hands was on his hair. Using her fingers as a comb, she pushed down the bed hair on him neatly and left the room happily. Probably on her way to the dining room. Ji Yong eyes were slightly widened when she did it. “Jimin,” he whispered quietly and closed his eyes. He gave a long sigh and left the room.

On his way, he saw Seunggi in the Royal Gallery where all paintings of the royal families were hanging. The paintings were hanged according to the kings who had ruled the land; from his great ancestors to his father. The last picture was taken five years ago before it happened. Seunggi was staring at a painting; the painting of the last royal family. Seunggi realised that Ji Yong was walking towards him at the corner of his eyes but he didn’t say anything.

The corner of his lips lifted a bit; showing a weak smile to Ji Yong and said, “It’s amazing how the almost look the same,”. Ji Yong stood beside him quietly and stared at the painting. It was drawn when he was seven before they left. Everyone was in there, his father, mother, his sister and a little boy on his parents lap; him. He had a wide smile on him before which the boy no longer has now. That boy no longer is in him, he was his past. It’s amazing how their death changed him a lot. From a mischievous, bubbly boy, he became cold and hid himself from others.

Seunggi stepped back and walked behind him. As their shoulders met, Seunggi whispered to him, “But, she can never be replaced,” he hissed in Ji Yong’s ear. “Don’t act as if last night conversation didn’t happen,” he added and left the room. Ji Yong stared at the painting and carefully touched it. His hands were on her sister’s face. “Idiot, no one can replace my sister,” he smirked and left.

The sound of his footsteps were heavy but he knew that he can no longer live in past. It’s time to move on; the past will always be in the past. The dead won’t come back for him so as a living; he can only continue his life remembering them. He had to let the sadness go and continue the family bloodline. The right thing to do was to marry his f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter