001

The Voice of Summer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“She’s perfectly mute,” his words echoed in her ears. She’s been unable to talk since she was 13.She saved a human boy during a storm which happened five years ago and gave her voice away to save his life. She had received her punishment but she never regretted her actions. She was supposed to be ban from the sea but since her father was the king and he loved her so much after the death of his wife, he kept her hidden in the castle; away from his people’s eyes. But the fault she did now was a totally different thing and he can no longer protect her.

She was reborn into a human; different in some ways. She hid her real identity behind her and locked her past life away. She was perfectly the same as others but she still had something from her past. Her new life started as she was beached at the shore. A prince found her, lying , sleeping soundly at the shore. He brought her back to his castle and called the doctor. Now, she’s currently on bed waiting for the prince.

She was curious about everything around her; the room, the furniture and especially her feet. She pulled the blankets upwards and played with her toes. She wriggled her toes and giggled excitedly to herself. She dared herself to stand on the floor but she fell down before she could gain any balance. The sound of her falling from the bed was heard by the prince. He quickly rushed to her and asked about her condition; forgetting that she was actually mute.

He put her left arm around his neck and lifted her to the bed and turned around to face the doctor. When she was young, she once met a human boy and was unable to understand human language. Secretly, she learnt about the language when she found old manuscripts about the ancient humans in the royal library. She hid the talent of being able to understand humans and elves from her father and to find the right time to tell him. She doesn’t really understand everything but for a beginner she is kind of good.

“Are you sure there is nothing wrong with her besides than being mute?” he asked the old man. The old man nodded, “Yes, physically she look fine and none of her bones broke. It’s weird to say that she’s unable to walk without any evidence,” he replied. Their conversation was too fast for the girl to understand. The doctor soon left the room, leaving with her and the prince.

The prince sat on the side of the bed beside her. He helped the girl to sit up a bit while moving some of the pillows. He had his hand on her back so she can straighten her back. He noticed that the girl was not focussing on him so he faked a cough to get her attention. “Well do you understand me?” he asked curiously. “If you do, nod your head and if it’s the other way, shook your head,” he said, motioning his hand at her head.

Surprised by the reply, the girl actually understands him.  She nodded her head a little. “What’s your name?” he asked, hoping she could answer the next question. Her hands suddenly went to the crystal stone at his locket. She pointed at the stone then to her; trying to say that her name is the same with the stone. He looked down at the stone, “Krystal? Is that your name?” he asked, grabbing his locket tightly in his hands.

She nodded. “That’s a nice name,” he commented. “You can have this. I don’t really need it and you have the same name as the stone which make you to have more right to have it,” he added, putting the locket on her hands. It felt like he just removed a heavy burden on him and he should had done it earlier. He just wanted to stop remembering about the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter