Chapter 2

Bestfriends or Not?

 

 

 


 

Things got a little better after that day. The bullying lessened since Jinki became friends with Kibum. Walking towards their classes became a whole lot of fun, with little jokes here and there.

 

 

Jinki also has his reputation to uphold as he was a famous director's only child. But he didn't even mind it as long as he was with Kibum. Reputation was not going to do you any good, he thinks. As long as he get to see Kibum's feline eyes sparkle and his spring-like smile, he's gonna be fine.

 

 

For Kibum, meeting someone like Jinki was the best thing that happened to him. Of course he has his supportive family. But things were always different as he took a step out of his house, that one place he knew he was safe.

 

 

He became Kibum's pillar, his savior when things get rough.

 

 

The person whom Kibum can always count on.

 

 

The person who fixed the cracks with his mere presence.

 


 

 

Middle school went by and then came High school, where reputation is all that matters. Kibum and Jinki became one of the most sought-after guys in the school. Kibum traded his nerdy specs for contacts and dyed his hair blonde. He also bids goodbye to his boring wardrobe and now wears clothes that are strikingly unique and eye-catching.

 

 

Girls, or even guys, always took the risk to ask him out, which he rejected politely saying that he didn't have time for love, thinking that as long as he has Jinki by his side, it's enough.

 

 

And that's when it hit him that he likes Jinki.

 


 

 

It was one time when he was in his room with his umma, looking through the photo album he and Jinki made back in middle school. His eyes would shine brightly as he tells his mom the story behind every picture. And by the end of his rambling, his umma just blurted it out of the blue.

 

 

"You like him, don't you?" She smiled.

 

Kibum blushed at her words. "Wh-what do you mean? Umma~"

 

"Aww~ Don't worry! I like the thought of you and Jinki together, even your appa does." She says and mutters under breathe things like JinKibum.

 

"What?! Appa does? What are you guys thinking? He's my bestfriend!" He doesn't want to admit that he DID like Jinki that way.

 

His Umma stood up, patting him in the back saying, "I know you like him. Unless I read the signs wrong. Like your diary entry every night." She began to walk away and Kibum pouts.

 

"Umma~" he whined.

 

She glanced back and says before disappearing from the room, "Oh, don't forget that time when I saw you kissing his photo or when you mumble his name in your sleep. I really want Jinki as my son-in-law, ne?"

 

 

And that's when Kibum decided, his umma and Jinki would be the death of him.

 

 



 

Kibum laughs bitterly at the memory as he wipes his tears. He doesn't even recognize himself anymore. He looks skinny. He's ugly. And he's clearly not himself as the days pass. Locking himself in despair was the only thing he could do. Being secluded in the walls of his room. 

 

 

But every inch of it was reminding him of Jinki. 

 

 

Of how they would do assignments by his desk. 

 

 

Or of how Jinki would hug him in his sleep, making him feel that he's safe in his arms whenever Jinki would sleep over.

 

 

His umma would persuade him to come out, even inviting him to shop with her. But he couldn't. He just couldn't bring himself to be like the usual when things aren't the way they were.

 

 

He cursed himself for feeling this way. 

 

 

For how he became dependent to Jinki, that he couldn't stand up on his own when the latter was not by his side.

 

 

For being so weak, that he let a person in and breaks his heart.

 

 

And lastly, for falling in love with the dumbest and dorkiest person in the world, Lee Jinki.
 

 



 

A month passed since Jinki got Jonghyun's number. Everything was bearable to Kibum until a rumor went out.

 

 

That Lee Jinki is now together with Kim Jonghyun.

 

 

Kibum tried to cope with the new changes happening in his life. He still does his routines. But this time, everything was Jinki-less. Everything was like a clockwork for him. He lost weight. His glowing skin was now pale and the bags under his eyes were now visible. His usually confident and lively presence was now dull and gloomy.

 

 

He was now the complete opposite of what he was supposed to be. The snide remarks and witty comebacks he used to throw back at Minho and Taemin's teasing were replaced with a small nod and a bitter smile. He's everything Jinki would surely hate.

 

 

"Umma~ Are you okay? Feeling sick?" It's one time when Taemin couldn't take it anymore and ask what was wrong with his second mother.

 

Kibum gave a small smile. "Of course, Minnie. Everything's fine." But Taemin wouldn't have any of it.

 

"Umma. Tell me what's wrong." But Taemin was surprised of what Kibum did. He cried.

 

"Umma! Why? Is something wrong?"

 

Kibum continues to cry and and says with a hoarse voice, "It hurts, Minnie...It ing hurts." He cried as he repeatedly hit his chest.

 

Taemin could only embrace him and tell him encouraging words. "It's all right, umma. It's alright to cry. Everything's gonna be alright."

 

Minho could only shake his head and looked over Taemin, as if saying that 'We have to do something.'

 

 

Both of them knew that this was because of a certain person. Lee Jinki to be exact.