Chapter 3

Bestfriends or Not?

 

 



 

Do you know that Kibum and I usually come by here to hang-out?

 

 

Uwaaa~ it's been ages since I last came here. Kibum used to take me in this noraebang.

 

 

This was Kibum's favorite drink, you know? Caramel Macchiato.

 

 

Jinki would always ramble things about Kibum to Jonghyun whenever they're on a date. But being the understanding boyfriend Jonghyun was, he never said a thing. He would just smile and nod occasionally as Jinki tells him story about him and Kibum. It was fun actually, getting to know more about Jinki through the stories he tell.

 

 

But there are times when Jonghyun thinks that it's all too much. Who likes their boyfriend talking more about his bestfriend than paying attention to you? All these stories, it's as if Jinki on some point had liked Kibum. His sweet voice as he talks. The way his eyes sparkle. And also that loving smile he had as he continuously tell stories about Kibum and him.

 

 

All of these things were always noticed by Jonghyun. And he knows he have to do something about this matter.
 

 



 

Jinki and Jonghyun was on their way for their one month anniversary date. Thankfully, this time, Jinki stopped rambling and talking about his bestfriend. And Jonghyun sighed in relief.

 

 

Call him selfish but he liked it. The way Jinki would pay attention to him as they walked around the Hongdae was something he wanted a long time ago.

 

 

"What do you want to eat?" Jinki asked Jonghyun as they continued to walk aimlessly around the area.

 

Jonghyun thought for a few seconds before saying, "Let's just check this shop then go to a café around here."

 

 

Jinki smiled as Jonghyun led him into the said shop and checked out a few hats on himself and Jinki. Little did he know, things may get complicated in a just a blink.

 

 

He soon dragged Jinki to one of the cafés around Hongdae. Unfortunately, he ended up dragging Jinki to that one café him and Kibum used to go on weekends.
 

 



 

The strong yet familiar scent of coffee welcomed Jinki as they entered the café. Nothing changed. Except the fact that he was here with Jonghyun, not Kibum. The comfortable ambience was still there, something he had always liked about the shop.

 

 

Jonghyun was clueless to what Jinki feels about this place, thinking about the familiar smile on Jinki's face as a sign of happiness as he eyed the menu for something to eat.

 

 

"Good day! What would you like?" A familiar voice broke Jinki's trance.

 

He looked up and saw Taemin, Kibum's 'son', in front of him with an evident shock on his face. "Taemin, right?"

 

The waiter, now known as Taemin, gulped and nodded nervously. "Nice to see you here, Jinki-ssi."

 

"You two know each other?" Jonghyun asked with an amused face.

 

"We just have a common friend." Taemin answered and Jonghyun looked at him.

 

"Jinjja? Who?"

 

"Kibum." Jinki replied.

 

 

The answer was enough to wipe the amused expression on Jonghyun's face. Jinki being a slow person didn't even felt the tension. Taemin felt the awkwardness and continued on getting their orders. After writing them on his small notepad, Taemin bowed and went back to the counter, continuing his neglected job.

 

 

"You two must've been close, right?" Jinki looked towards Jonghyun and eyed the latter, confused of his question.

 

"Kibum. You two must've been very close."

 

Jinki nervously chuckled. "Yeah. I have known him since middle school. It's a long story to be honest."

 

"Oh. Can I ask how?" He puppy-eyed and Jinki couldn't have the heart to ignore.

 

"I was a transfer from America. I met him on my first day since he's my seat mate. But the fact is, he is bullied." Jonghyun mouth gaped from what Jinki just told him. It was unexpected. "He ignored me at first, thinking that I might be someone who'll bully him. But after bugging him during class to be my friend, he opened up and here we are today." Jonghyun didn't miss that sad tone at the last 4 words.

 

 

He sounded like he lost someone so important. Someone he cherished.

 

 

He was about to say something but he was cut off by Taemin who gave them their orders and left immediately. The atmosphere was heavy, to say the least. And he doesn't like it. No one bit.

 

 

They continued on eating quietly, focusing on the food in front of them. It was until Taemin slightly shouted someone's name.

 

 

"Kibum umma! Minho hyung!" Taemin ran towards the entrance, tackling the two new people in the café into a bear hug.

 

Kibum smiled into the hug as his peripheral vision saw the couple on their table, with Jinki gaping on him like a fish. "Aigoo, Taebaby. Easy, ne?"

 

Minho ruffled Taemin's hair, before walking to the usual table they usually sat. Unfortunately for Kibum, the table beside Jinki's. "Taemin-ah, Kibum and I will have our usual. Your shift's done in a few, right?"

 

 

Taemin smiled and nodded, skipping towards the counter happily.

 

 

Jinki must've noticed Kibum's uneasiness. "Kibum. It's been a while." Kibum gulped and nodded. He's afraid to speak, knowing that his voice will betray him.

 

"Hi, Kibum! Hey, Minho." Jonghyun greeted.

 

"Hey, hyung. Out on a date?" Minho asked and the latter nodded. And that's enough for Kibum to go crazy. The conversation ran dry and there was an unbearable silence.

 

Taemin went back to Kibum and Minho a few minutes later, in his casual clothes with the drink they ordered. "Let's go?" He asked.

 

 

Kibum stood up, barely giving Jinki one last glance before sprinting out of the shop with Taemin and Minho tailing him. And Jonghyun was a hundred percent sure that there was longing in Jinki's eyes as the feline-eyed boy ran out of the shop. He couldn't take this any longer.

 

 

This time, he made a decision to do the right thing.

 

 



 

"Let's break up, Jinki."