Chapter 4

Bestfriends or Not?


 

 


 

"Let's break up, Jinki." Jinki looked at the person in front of him, wide-eyed.

 

"Why? Didn't you like this?" He asked as he tried to reach for Jonghyun's hand.

 

Jonghyun pulled away and looked at Jinki, straight in the eye. "You don't love me, Jinki. I even doubt that you like me."

 

"Of course, I like you. W-why would I be here if I don't?" Jinki stuttered.

 

Jonghyun sighed. "I'm only holding you back, pulling you both apart. It's obvious you like him. Scratch that. You love him."

 

Jinki was confused by his words. "W-who?"

 

"Kibum." Jonghyun held back the tears that was prickling his eyes. "Your stories, your smile everytime you talk about him, and don't even forget the way you looked at him earlier. There's a longing feeling in it."

 

"But -"

 

"Don't try to make up excuses and lie to me, Lee Jinki. I know you. All this time, you love him. And it's obvious that he loves you too."

 

Jinki kept his gaze towards the floor. He couldn't help but feel guilty for doing this to Jonghyun. "Don't be like this, Jonghyun."

 

"No. What we had is just no more than friends, Jinki." Jonghyun held Jinki's trembling hands. "I want you to do something for me. For the last time."

 

"What is it?"

 

Jonghyun smiled and savored the feeling of Jinki's hands in his for the last time. "Man up and be true to yourself."

 

 



 

Jinki sighed for the nth time as he remembered Jonghyun's words. He messed up. Big time. He's a jerk, using Jonghyun to forget the feelings he truly felt. He lied that he loved Jonghyun. He liked the latter in one point but that was just it, nothing more. His feelings were no more than between friends.

 

 

He laid down on his bed, starting his own staring contest with the ceiling. He mentally curses himself for being stupid. 

 

 

Why does he have to be so coward and hid his true feelings? 

 

 

Why did he have to use someone as great as Jonghyun to run away from this problem?

 

 

Why did he even love his own bestfriend?

 

 



 

15 year old Jinki walked nervously into his next class. The hallways are now deserted and it scared him a lot. Being a transfer student from America isn't a joke. He's nervous as hell. What if his school mates here in Korea was just as mean as those in America?

 

 

He immediately shrugs the idea and arrived at the entrance of his homeroom. He practiced his smile and arranges himself to look more presentable. His teacher just finished announcing his arrival and made his way in front, inwardly cheering himself up.

 

 

He stopped by his teacher's side and bowed. "Annyeong Haseyo! I'm Lee Jinki. I'll be your classmate from now on. Please take care of me." He smiled the way he had practiced earlier, hoping that he didn't scare his potential friends off.

 

 

His teacher told him to seat beside Kim Kibum, which is at the back. It's fine for him. Being in the back of the class really helps getting to know the class better, since he was more of an observer.

 

 

He made his way into his new seat and greeted the boy he now knew as Kim Kibum. "Annyeong! I'm Jinki! Nice to meet you, Kibum."

 

He knew Kibum has something to say. But before he could reply, their seatmate beats him to it. "Aigoo, oppa. You shouldn't get involved with that gay over there. Ew~" And that's when he knew that the conversation was over.

 

 

He feels anxious in his seat. He wants to befriend Kibum. There's something about him special than meets the eye. By the time when the class was almost over, he suddenly thought of an idea. Writing a short note to Kibum in the neatest handwriting he could muster, he prayed that he'll succeed.

 

 

He tapped Kibum by the shoulder, waiting for some reaction. He waits and nothing happened. He knew Kibum was ignoring him, but he wasn't gonna have any of it. He passed the small note to Kibum and nudges him to open it. After a few more nudging and convincing to open it, the latter finally gave in and read the letter.

 

 

Jinki knew it was a start of a new friendship.

 

 



 

But he didn't know it was a start of more.

 

 

He bitterly laughs at the memory. Where did this brave Jinki went? He's gone just when he was needing him the most. Where's this Jinki who promised Kibum that he'll always be by his side? The one who stood up for Kibum and fought off all his bullies. 

 

 

Gone. He's all gone.

 

 

This time, he's gonna do the right thing and do what Jonghyun wanted him to do. He's gonna man up and be true to himself.

 

 

He's not gonna lie anymore. Even if it could affect their friendship he will still tell Kibum the truth.

 

 

That he had always love him.

 

 

And that will never change.

 

 



 

Kibum aimlessly walks around his neighborhood. It's been a day since they saw Jinki and Jonghyun together on the coffee shop they used to go. The place that hold certain memories for the both of them. The pain in his heart doubled as he saw the them. It feels like it's been stabbed repeatedly, broke into a million pieces, and turn into dust and disappear into the thin air.

 

 

He tugged his coat closer to his body. The night chill is really no joke by this time of the year. He smiled as he remember how it felt like walking through these paths hand in hand with Jinki. He keeps on walking until his phone notified an incoming text.

 

 

Let's meet tomorrow, Kibum. It's been awhile.

 

 

He gulped as he finished reading the text. It was truly unexpected, judging by how they drift apart by the days that passed. Kibum typed his reply and walked back home, inwardly wishing he made the right choice.

 

 

Sure. The usual place, ne? 2pm.