vii.

The World He Takes Pictures In

Myungsoo was checking his belongings in his hospital ward. He took a white note which Suzy saw before. There were several papers inserted between the pages. He took a pen and began to write.

When Myungsoo was doing his business, his phone rang. He sat up and reached for his phone.

“Hello?” he answered.

He nodded and smiled lightly, hung up his phone, and prepared for going out.


 

<:>


 

“Kim Myungsoo, why are you here now? You had a heart attack a week ago and you were barely moved to regular room. But, you are here for a meeting.” Suzy raged after the meeting outside the café.

“My body’s okay now,” he replied. “I’ve asked permission from Doctor Kang. I’m only out for 2 hours, and I’m going back to hospital after the meeting.”

“Do your parents know that you are here?”

“No.”

“You can say to writer Kim that you are sick,” Suzy scolded. “Anyway, go back to the hospital now. I’ll go with you,” Suzy searched for taxis.

“You won’t ask me about what happened earlier?”

Suzy didn’t answer.

That one time, she found a taxi and immediately pushed Myungsoo to go in.


 

There was silence in the taxi. The only sound made is only the sound of the taxi’s engine. It seemed like Suzy was really angry to Myungsoo. He didn’t know why if she was angry because of the photo, or because of his health. Myungsoo looked at her. Her face was quite serious. He guessed she had many things to think. Myungsoo turned his head to the window, and enjoyed the lights of Seoul’s night.

“By the way, Suzy,” he began.

“What?” Suzy turned her head to him.

“Would you go to the amusement park with me this Saturday?”


 

<:>


 

Suzy was tidying her apartment and gathering old stuffs. At that time, she discovered an old big box under her bed. She remembered that she put it under her bed when she first moved out to her current apartment five years ago. She never opened that box. It was dirty and dusty.

It was her mom’s stuffs.

Suzy sat besides the box and sighed. She gathered her will and started to open the lid slowly.

There were bunch of papers, dolls, and a ton of paper cranes. It filled more than half of the box.

Suzy recalled what she had read in her mom’s diary, about the boy who gave paper cranes to her mom.

She opened one of the paper cranes. She undid the folds, and there was a kid’s handwriting on the paper.

“Get well soon, Aunty!”

She undid other ones and there were different sentences for each paper cranes.

“I always pray for you, Aunty!”

“Let’s play together with your daughter when we are both healthy”

“I hope God would listen to my pray”

“I want to go to school”

“I want to attend a drawing competition which poster was stuck on the hospital’s wall…”

She undid almost all of the cranes and finally she saw something in the last paper crane. It was not a handwriting, but a drawing.

There were 3 people holding hands on it. One is a woman, one is a girl, and one is a boy. He wrote each person’s names. ‘Aunty’ for the woman, ‘Aunt’s daughter, Suzy (I think?)’ for the girl, and ‘Me, Kim Myungsoo’ for the boy.

Suzy widened her eyes. Kim Myungsoo? Was he that Kim Myungsoo? Why didn’t he remember about it?

She decided to take that paper with her, and then she went to go to the hospital to see that Kim Myungsoo, to have him to explain everything that night.


 

<:>


 

Suzy arrived at his room, and she didn’t see anyone in it.

“Ah, he was taken for examinations, right?” she talked to herself.

She was attracted to the note on the desk, and she couldn’t help herself to open it.

There were lots of photos inserted between the pages. Spring, summer, autumn, winter, he took the sceneries really well. He wrote how he took the pictures behind the photo.

Cats, dogs, plants, bicycle, she flipped the photos one by one, until she stopped and saw her photo from when she first met him.


 

“The Biggest Present in The World, Suzy”

I was given a lot of good presents by my parents for my birthday. Newest toys, rare books, expensive cameras, I have lot of them. Maybe, it’s because they don’t know when they will stop giving me presents for my birthday. I can fully understand them.

But, for my twenty-third birthday, I received a biggest present from God.

She was the only person who would tell her stories to me. She was the only person who would support me when I was in pain except my parents.

Thank you, God, for giving me such a great present for my last birthday.

Thank you, God, for making me to experience love for the last time.

I wish I could be with her for long time.