iii.

The World He Takes Pictures In

“Suzy-yah,”

“Yes, mom?,” a little girl stopped from playing her dolls when her mom called her.

Her mom was quiet for a moment.

The little girl’s eyes glistened in the bright light. That very eyes looking at his mom curiously.

Her mom finally determined how she should interpret those hard-to-tell words in her mind to her only daughter, “You should be okay without Mom, okay? Promise me,” She pat her only daughter head.




 

<:>




 

Suzy slowly opened her eyes. She dreamt of her mom, after a long time she hadn’t dreamt about her mom anymore. And that night, she dreamt about it again. She started to wake up and found herself in a couch, covered by a blanket.

“Good morning, Suzy,”

Suzy widened her eyes. There was a young man suited in jacket smiling at her.

“Oh, good morning, Myungsoo,” she started to tidy up the blanket. “You’re finally discharged today. How happy you are today,”

The young man smiled and showed his beautiful dimples, “I have been trapped here for 2 weeks,”

He showed his camera in his hand, “I can’t wait to use this to take beautiful pictures.”

Suzy stood up with blanket in her hands, “You took a picture of me back then,”

Myungsoo took his bags and prepared to go out from the room, “not A PICTURE, actually,” he laughed, ”They were PLENTY.”




 

<:>




 

Suzy was glad to walk together in the park with Myungsoo. She remembered how panic she was when a young man suddenly collapsed in front of her – grabbing his chest, and passing out just like that.

By walking and spending time together with healthy Myungsoo, she thought she would forget what happened thay day.

She observed and waited for him to snap any object attracted him by sitting on a bench in the park.

The way he held his camera was picturesque. She couldn’t remember that the fresh and handsome young man was actually ill for a second.

Suddenly Myungsoo turned his back and took Suzy’s photo.

“Ah, what did you do just now?,” Suzy stood up and walked to him.

“Taking pictures,” he lightly said, “that attracted me.”




 

<:>




 

“How was your day?,” Mr. Kim asked.

Suzy had a dinner with the Kim family that night, after Suzy and Myungsoo had been hanging around Seoul for a day.

Suzy stopped cutting her meat and looked at the parents. “It was great,” she smiled.

“She had a hard time while I was wandering around,” Myungsoo added.

“You mustn’t overdo yourself, Myungsoo. Remember to take care of your own body. You’re just discharged today,” Mrs. Kim reminded him.

“I know, Mom. I have been trying my best, you know,”

There were silence among them, the only sound left were only the sound of cutlery

“I’m sorry for asking, but Suzy, what do you do for living?,” Mrs. Kim carefully asked.

“I’m a freelance editor,” she said. “Sometimes, a writer.”

“What kind of story do you write?” Mrs Kim asked.

“Just any kind of story I thought of”




 

“Why do you like to take pictures?,” Suzy sat on Myungsoo’s bed after looking around his tidy room.

“Same as you, I write story,” he replied.

“What kind of story?,” she asked curiously. She had already heard this from his parents.

"A story with my pictures," he said, “You will know it after I die,” he replied lightly. Without any burden.

“Don’t say anything scary like that,”

“Why? Everybody will die one day,” he said. He looked at her eyes with his deep eyes, ”but it was just a matter of time. I just think I would die sooner than you,”

Suzy was quiet.

She was curious about the story everyone talked about.

That time, she saw a note on his desk, but she didn’t know what it was contained of.