v.

The World He Takes Pictures In

That day is April 1st.

April 1st is when we can fool people and play jokes without feeling guilty.

People commonly called April 1st as April Fool, or April Mop.

Suzy also thought that she was fooled.

Suzy also thought that it was only a joke.

That her mother had died.




 

<:>




 

It was April 1st. Suzy and Myungsoo went to the graveyard because that day is Suzy’s mom death anniversary.

It had been 13 years since her mother died.

It had been a long time, but the pains in Suzy’s heart hadn’t been healed yet.

They put flowers on the grave, and prayed.

“Hello, mom,” Suzy whispered in her pray.

“Mom, it’s me, Suzy. I’ve grown up a lot, right? I’ve got a job in a well-known publishing company. Now, I’m an editor of a famous writer. After a long struggle, I finally landed here,” she prayed.

“Mom, next to me, he’s Kim Myungsoo,  a young man who might have a bright future ahead him. I met him by coincidence. A robber snatched my bag, and he got it back for me. After getting my bag back, he passed out. Apparently, he has heart disease, so he can’t run or do sports.”

“He doesn’t have much time. I know it. But, please, I don’t want to lose him like I lost you, Mom.”

She continued, with tears dwelling in her eyes.

“God, please, I don’t want to lose him like I lost my mom. Now, he’s my only friend, the only person who would hear my story, and if he’s gone, I don’t have anyone else.”

Myungsoo was quiet while looking at Suzy praying with all her might.

His heart was aching.

Not because of his disease, but he felt like he wanted to cry with Suzy.




 

<:>




 

“Are you alright now?”

Suzy asked Myungsoo when they were waiting for the bus to go back to Seoul. They were sitting at the bus stop waiting for the bus to come.

“About what?” he replied.

“You caught a cold yesterday,” Suzy stared at his face. “I was asking if you are alright now,”

“I’m alright,” he answered. “I’d rather having a cold than having a heart attack,”

Suzy was quiet after hearing his answer. There was only the sound of breezes and birds between them.

“You know, Myungsoo,” she began. “I was wondering why my mom didn’t tell me about her illness sooner.”

“Maybe because she didn’t want you to be sad,” he answered. “Or she didn’t know how to tell you,”

“There are many things in the world which can’t be told easily,” he continued.

Suzy was quiet again.

“You know, my mom and dad wouldn’t tell me about my illness,” he pondered.

“Truthfully, I knew about my own illness while I was eavesdropping from the doctor’s room. They won’t tell me why I was hospitalized. They won’t tell me why I experienced pains because of catheter. They won’t tell me when I was able to be discharged,”

“It’s all because of the words they wanted to say can’t be told easily,” Suzy drew the conclusion.

“Don’t be harsh to yourself. I know you regretted a lot because you didn’t know her illness, but I know she had a good reason to not to tell you sooner,” he continued.

"Ah, wait," he halted. He removed a leaf on Suzy's head.

Suzy was flustered. She felt that her heart had fluttered for the first time.

Myungsoo smiled to her, “But, Suzy, you remember to go with me to see the doctor, don’t you?”




 

<:>




 

“Myungsoo-yah, I don’t mean to give you a false hope, but you can be cured if you find a suitable transplant,” Doctor Kang explained.

Doctor Kang was the doctor from his childhood. He already considered Myungsoo as his own son.

“What do you mean, Docto" Myungsoo asked

“I’ve put you at the top of the heart transplantation recipient. Finding a suitable transplant would be difficult, but I will try my best,”

Suzy was happy in her little heart. Apparently, her pray had been listened by her mom and God.

She was hoping that Myungsoo could live.

She hung her hope in a fragile string.

 

<:>

 

“You got home well, didn’t you?”

“Of course I did. It’s already late. Go rest. You’ve done so many things today. You must be tired,” Suzy phoned Myungsoo after she got home.

“Okay, I’ll go to sleep. You must sleep sooner too. You are busy these days. Good night.”

Suzy put her phone on the desk next to her bed, and lied on her bed.

She didn’t realize it until then, but she always wanted to phone Myungsoo.

She forgot her pains while she was with Myungsoo.

She felt her heart fluttered when she was with Myungsoo.

She wanted to be with Myungsoo.

She had fallen for Kim Myungsoo.