To forget...

Blanked Out Lovers

Before moving on towards the actual chapter, I would like you to read this little message coming from me. Sadly, a fellow and dear author to me in this page, has passed away. Some of you may have known her by the name of AnneTOP. I want to give my condolences to all her dear ones and I would like to ask for your help in getting one of her stories featured, as a tribute to the sweet and kind girl that is no longer with us. Please, upvote her story One-Way Love and if you want, read it as well. It's a TopBom story mainly, and it's a beautiful story not to miss. Unfortunately, there will be no ending to it since she couldn't finish it before passing, but it's still worth the read. Thank you for your time, and here you can upvote it: http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/241250/one-way-love-bigbang-choiseunghyun-gbom-parkbom-romance-topbom-springtempo

 


 

T  o     F  o  r  g  e  t  .  .  . 

 

Unending mysteries habituate in conjunct with one's daily life. Usually, humans tend to resign themselves and coexist with them like an unwanted mother in law that decided to invade their house and pay a visit. Rarely, people stop and trouble their minds trying to find a reason, an answer or a solution to such problems.

 

However to Chaerin, this was one of those rare occasions.

 

When one reaches the stage of putting importance to those incognitos, the most common reaction would certainly be, to ask for help, for advice or an opinion at the least.

 

But Chaerin couldn't have such luxury.

 

It would be more than logical not to ask for help in such situation, not even to Harin, the person she trusted the most. This time, Chaerin truly feared the judgment and rejection that could come along with asking for help.

 

Who in their right mind would ask for advise on how to forget their best friend's boyfriend anyway?

 

Since the help wasn't an option, Chaerin simply had to act according to her own criteria.

 

...Small detail, Chaerin's criteria was as unstable as the wind in that moment, regarding that situation.

 

Frustrated, Chaerin sighed and paced from one extreme of her bedroom to the other, while tapping her index finger against her lips, searching at the most remote corners of her brain for an answer, a solution... anything...

 

And suddenly...

 

"Un clavo saca otro clavo"

 

The phrase lingered through Chaerin's mind from corner to corner, shamelessly floating around her head and monopolizing every single inch of attention gathered inside of her thoughts.

 

Annoying at the least, but also intriguing, very intriguing.  A trip down  memory lane brought Chaerin back to her highschool years. Back then at highschool, inside the boring Spanish class dictated the uninteresting teacher Mrs. Kim, the thought of learning something useful from those dull and monotonous lessons seemed absurd to Chaerin. As far as she was concerned, any woman who couldn't properly apply lipstick on her lips without getting her teeth stained at the attempt, or who wasn't capable of wearing an appropiate attire when lecturing at a classroom, could never possibly teach something useful other than how not to go out in public.

 

Of course, that logic, typical of a teenager was incorrect, and only years afterwards Chaerin could finally realize.

 

Un clavo saca otro clavo”

 

The phrase resonated yet again through the corners of her mind. Chaerin remembered when they were studying a selection of Spanish phrases, and being intrigued by this one in particular.

 

People, I know this is bewildering, but it's actually simpler than it seems...” Mrs. Kim explained, having a great facility to make every word that escaped from sound exceptionally annoying.

 

Un clavo saca otro clavo” She spoke in that broken accent of hers. “It would literally mean 'one nail drives out another'. But on a literary context, what could that phrase possibly imply class?” Of course, no one dared to answer... no one wanted to answer.

 

...And after the longest five minutes of silence, Mrs. Kim's poor attempts of getting her students to participate were simply ineffective. To what she finally expressed: “Love, my class, love!” as she flailed her hands in exasperation, a scene that interestingly amused Chaerin.

 

The only way, or at least the quickest, to forget that dear person that you once loved, is to find someone that replaces it, someone that builds new memories on top of the hurtful, past ones. That's what the phrase is trying to imply. One nail drives out another, un clavo saca otro clavo” The middle-aged woman explained with passion, unconsciously hinting at the classroom that she might have been a very well-experienced person on that replacing-one-love-for-another field...

 

Back in her bedroom, Chaerin stopped her tracks and stared at the wall in front of her with eyes wide opened.

 

Could it be? Had she reached a solution?

 

Her heart started to palpitate at a tremendously fast pace, provoking her to unwittingly clutch her chest tightly.

 

The answer, even though heart wrenching, was there.

 

It probably wouldn't make her the happiest, but that was Chaerin's last concern at the moment.

 

She closed her eyes and inhaled a good amount of air. Another memory crossed her mind...

 

You know, maybe it would be high time for you to experience more of this life, to savor the enchanting feeling of having a partner. After all, I'm beginning to worry my second daughter will be the first to get married...”

 

Chaerin twitched her lips at the not-so-pleasant flashback. Her mother certainly had a talent in giving Chaerin migraines. But what was worse, was that her mother wasn't the only culprit at these kinds of accusations.

 

Grandmothers, aunts, cousins, friends. All of them had at least once compared Chaerin to her younger sister. All of them had shared their unrequested concerns regarding Chaerin's love life...

 

And then she realized... as apathetic as she was towards the idea of getting romantically involved with someone, she wouldn't be wrong if she accepted the fact that she would be killing two birds with one stone, as overused as the phrase may sound.

 

She would be making her friends and relatives 'happy', and also, keeping her mind busy enough to stabilize her thoughts once and for all.

 

Still, the question was... how? Moreover, with who?

 

Those were questions that, to her fortune, Chaerin wasn't afraid of asking others... And by others she was referring to Harin as  a fact.

 

-

 

“Hmmm...” Harin tapped her fingers against the dining table. “Why don't you get signed up for one of those blind dating clubs?” The younger sister lifted her eyebrows and expectantly looked at Chaerin, thinking she had just come up with the best idea someone could possibly think of.

 

Chaerin mentally scoffed at the idea, but tried to remain as neutral as possible on the exterior, out of respect for her sister.

 

As mature as Harin might be in some certain occasions, Chaerin couldn't forget the fact that her younger sister was still that, young... and inexperienced. Therefore, she was bound to give answers of that standard. Answers that most definitely, didn't please Chaerin.

 

In the end Chaerin decided to try and "let things flow", and if the opportunity arised, to take it and move on.

 

Little would she know that finding love isn't as simple as it seems...

 


A/N: Me again, first of all, sorry for taking longer in updating and for making this chapter shorter than the previous ones. I don't want to fill you up with excuses on how busy school is making me although it's true, so what's left of me is to try to update the next chapter in a shorter span of time. Thank you to my new subscribers for well.. subscribing and welcome! And thank you to all of those out there that are taking the time to read my story ^_^ See you in the next update (that hopefully will be longer than this one), have a nice day!