Choosing

Blanked Out Lovers

 

C  h  o  o  s  i  n  g 

 

Tick tock. Tick tock.

 

Immersed in her thoughts, immersed in the silence, the clock's ticking sound was the only thing Chaerin's ears could register. The more it sounded, the more it exasperated her.

 

Tick tock. Tick tock.

 

Her lips, red from the biting, twitched out of frustration.

 

Tick tock. Tick tock.

 

“That's it!” She shouted at last while getting up from her seat.

 

With pure annoyance, Chaerin grabbed the remote control and turned the TV on, leaving it at a channel station that was solely dedicated to airing the cheesiest soap operas that could ever exist.

 

Alonso, we can't be together because... I am your grandmother!” The Mexican actress shouted.

 

Chaerin scoffed at the dumb plot, but neither did she bother to change the station, since watching TV was not her intention. But between having to listen to the clock's ticking sound, and Alonso's desperate pleads... Alonso sounded less annoying, as unbelievable as it may sound.

 

On a Sunday day like that one, Chaerin was left alone at her house as usual. Harin was too infatuated with that Seung Yoon of hers, and her parents had gone out shopping, something she was definitely not interested in doing.

 

However, she wouldn't be alone for too long, since Bom was expected to arrive in any minute.

 

In fact, that was the reason why Chaerin was so tense. Having to face the reality of a serious problem was something she was definitely not good at.

 

But in the end, she would have to face it, eventually...

 

 

In the middle of Alonso's shouts, the sound of a car's engine rang in Chaerin's ears.

 

Curiously, she got up and looked through the window, realizing she had made a foolish mistake.

 

She observed how two familiar figures got out from the sedan, one being Bom, and the other one being Seunghyun.

 

Without being able to divert her sight, Chaerin kept observing the situation.

 

Bom walked a couple of steps ahead from Seunghyun, while the latter uttered some words that Chaerin was not capable of registering. He then took Bom's hand, and made her turn around in a swift movement, trapping her between his arms. They remained in that position a bit too long for Chaerin's taste.

 

As if that display of affection wasn't enough, Seunghyun then rested his hands on his girlfriend's cheeks, and stared into her eyes worriedly. Later on he slowly brought his face closer to her's, and then...

 

Chaerin closed the curtains.

 

She couldn't dare to see what would happen next.

 

A couple of minutes later, the door bell rang at last, forcing Chaerin to get moving, and face the reason of her distress.

 

Hesitantly, she opened it, finding her friend standing on her own on the other side, flashing her typical smile.

 

A short, silent pause prevailed between the two, until Bom brought her friend into a warm hug.

 

“They didn't have chocolate” Bom randomly uttered.

 

Puzzled, Chaerin broke the hug and confusedly looked at her friend. Making Bom chuckle at her reaction.

 

“The cake silly, I had to bring strawberry instead” Bom held a bag in front of her face and made her way inside the apartment.

 

Chaerin blinked a couple of times and followed Bom back inside... and in to the kitchen.

 

“As I was saying, I couldn't find any chocolate cakes so I had to resort to this one. I really wanted to get the one that you really like, but it wasn't available. I'm sorry” Bom sighed and shook her head out of frustration, while taking out plates and cutlery at all speed in order to eat the cake, despite the fact that she had just arrived.

 

Chaerin just sat down, still trying to process her friend's sudden outburst.

 

'How could she be so worried about me, and about such an insignificant thing on a day like this one?' Chaerin thought.

 

“You really don't have to worry Bom, you know anything you bring is fine for me” Chaerin got up and helped Bom take everything to the dining room... slash living room.

 

“Besides, neither the cake or me is the main reason why we are here today...” She added, while setting the plates on the table. Bom started to cut the cake.

 

“How is Jaekyung?” Chaerin lastly asked.

 

Bom became immobile to hear such words. The hand that was cutting the cake all-together froze, and no words could come out from for a moment.

 

“I don't know who Jaekyung is...” Bom managed to answer, trying to sound unaffected.

 

“Bom...” Chaerin uttered, concerned.

 

“Not today, not now... let's just eat the cake” Bom tonelessly said, as she finished cutting the cake and serving it on the plates.

 

Understandingly, Chaerin nodded and dug in to the cake without protesting.

 

“So!” Bom excitedly spoke out of a sudden, and as if nothing had happened. “Tell me, how did Harin's date went? Who's the guy? Is he nice? Did you like him?” Bom bombarded her friend with questions.

 

Chaerin chuckled and replied, “According to Harin, it was great. Her date was actually Seung Yoon, the guy that lives next door, the one who had these big pair of glasses and braces when Harin and him were kids. Impressive huh?”

 

“Indeed” Bom said in awe. “But I guess I should have known it, I mean it was about time for the two to like each other don't you think? It was pretty obvious if you ask me” Bom happily munched on her cake.

 

Chaerin nodded while wearing a smile on her face, feeling proud of her sister. The two kept chatting about typical and banal topics for a while. Truth to be told, as worried as she was for her friend's current emotional state, Chaerin didn't mind, since she felt she should be supportive of Bom at all cost on an unfortunate day like that one.

 

After eating and talking and goofing around, they decided to take a seat on the couch and watch one of Bom's favorite movies, Juno.

 

As far as boyfriends go, Paulie Bleeker is totally boss. He is the cheese to my macaroni. And, I know that people are supposed to fall in love before they reproduce, but... I guess normalcy isn't really our style.

 

“Ah... I just love this movie” Bom happily proclaimed, as a matter of fact.

 

“You don't say” Chaerin mockingly chuckled, earning a playful nudge by Bom.

 

But after the chuckles ceased, silence prevailed between the two. That deadly silence that provoked Chaerin's thoughts to arise clearly and with no distractions.

 

She knew, it was time.

 

Bom was there, they were alone, the film was over so there wouldn't be any possible disturbance. She would just have to accept the fact that there was no other choice but to it up, and speak.

 

It was now or never.

 

Time for the intervention.

 

“So Bom, listen” Chaerin cleared and put a strand of her hair behind her ear. Bom looked towards her friend, curiously waiting to hear what she had to say.

 

“I'm very curious to know, what do you feel for Seunghyun?” Chaerin went on to the point and asked her concerns.

 

Bom chuckled, and a spark lightened up in her eyes upon hearing Seunghyun's name. Delight was plastered all over her face.

 

“Mmm... love? I think that is what I truly feel for him. I mean, it may sound cliche, but just thinking of him brings an electric sensation on my chest, and it runs down to the pit of my stomach. When he smiles at me, laughs with me, hugs me, kisses me... it feels so surreal. I keep asking myself if this is real. And the little things he does, like his cute dimples, or his goofy laugh... Every time I'm not next to him, I long for him, I want to talk to him, hear his voice, feel his touch. It's just... something I don't feel with anyone else. To me, it feels like love” Bom stared at the ceiling with a silly smile plastered on her face. The girl was helplessly crazy for him.

 

Chaerin gulped.

 

“Does he... does he make you happy? Are you happy with him?” She now asked.

 

“More than happy, he... completes me” Bom bit her lip, trying to content her giggles.

 

“Thinking of losing him scares me, tremendously. I think I would be very depressed if it ever happened, he's the only one I fully trust, asides from you. If I lost him... my whole world would be lost” Bom's face darkened at the obscure thought.

 

“You must think I'm dumb for saying those things” Bom nervously laughed and wore her mask of happiness again, pretending everything was okay, not wanting to bother anyone with her problems or insecurities.

 

“I think your words were beautiful, not dumb” Chaerin spoke, earning Bom's attention yet again. “You... you better be happy Bom” She added, and brought her friend in a hug. “You better be”.

 

Perfectly timed, a couple of knocks resonated on the front door, provoking the two friends to break their hug.

 

Chaerin got up, and curiously walked towards the door, wondering who it might be.

 

Surprise surprise, Chaerin looked at the male standing in front of her in perplexity.

 

“Seunghyun ah!” Bom exclaimed from behind her friend.

 

His face lit up at the sight of his dear girlfriend.

 

Completely oblivious of Chaerin's presence, Bom walked past her friend and wrapped her arms around her boyfriend's torso, resting her face on his chest.

 

“What are you doing here so early?” Bom curiously asked.

 

“They let me leave sooner than expected today, so I thought of treating you to dinner, what do you say? Chaerin, you can come as well” Seunghyun friendly offered. He was still wearing his job's uniform, a simple white, formal shirt, and some dark blue formal trouser pants. Chaerin had heard from Bom that he had recently started working at his family's real-estate business, and was doing apparently well.

 

Bom gladly accepted the offer, but when it came to Chaerin, she just couldn't.

 

“Thank you for inviting me, but I'm afraid I won't be able to join you guys. I can't leave the house alone, but you two just go and enjoy yourselves, don't worry!” Chaerin tried to sound as friendly as she could, while throwing one of the lamest excuses in the existence of excuses.

 

Disappointed, Bom tried to convince her friend, but failed to do so.

 

“We should get going then. You better come the next time! And... thank you Chae, for being with me today” Bom sadly smiled.

 

“Yes, thank you for taking care of Bommie for me, you are the best” Seunghyun thanked her, while wrapping his arm over Bom's shoulder.

 

Chaerin bit her lip and gulped, desperately trying to keep her composure.

 

“You don't have to thank me, I'm glad I can help. Now go before it gets too late, have fun!” She replied and exchanged greetings with the couple.

 

 

The deal was sealed. There was nothing else to question nor discuss.

 

The way she looked at him, and the way he looked at her. How he cared for her, how she yearned for him. There was no doubt.

 

Bom and Seunghyun loved each other, and Chaerin would have to accept it.

 

When you are willing to sacrifice what's dearest to you, for those who are the dearest in your heart, you become selfless.

 

I have to forget.

 


 

A/N: This chapter was mostly written on a night without sleep, so I apologize if there are any errors or mistakes I didn't notice. Also, to those rooting for Skytempo, remember the fanfic is not over! I hope that makes you happier haha Anyway, happy reading!