The War Begins

Tug-O-War

AN: I know I have five stories going…I can multitask! I SWEAR.  -.- Who am I kidding…I can’t multitask to save my life. ANYWAY! Brand new story because this has been in my head. And since I love to avoid my homework…I’m just going to get this first chapter up…if I’m not updating on this and my other stories, feel free to message me and ask why, I may be buried under homework and need someone to pull me out. XD Enjoy!

 

 

SEPTEMBER 

Taemin supposed it was a normal day for himself. He was riding in the car, happily listening to his music with Jinki sitting right beside him. The five members of SHINee were on their way home from a recording for their new mini album about to come out. The blonde man beside him was constantly fidgeting but holding his hand like they usually did in the car.

The maknae of SHINee peered around at s, smiling slightly at Kibum and Jonghyun who were quietly whispering to each other in the seat in front of him. Minho was quiet up in the front of the car, sulking about something he didn’t know.

The year had been busy for them, what with another Japan tour, three albums, and numerous singles being released. Soon they would release two more and it would be back to doing promotions. Taemin was all right with that, though. To him, it meant that he got to spend time with his precious Hyung and leader who always had a goofy smile on his face.

However, he realized that something had been a bit off these past few months since they had released Why So Serious. Their band was slightly…tense. Tense was a word Taemin used lightly, because sometimes he could even feel a competitive aura as well. Taemin wasn’t exactly sure for what though, and simply tried to shrug it off. They would all tell him eventually, and if he wasn’t meant to know, he guessed it was for a good reason.

Taemin snuck a glance at Jinki who was busy playing with their interlaced fingers. Even just staring at him had Taemin’s heart fluttering. The leader was his best friend, his go-to person. He never gave Taemin a bad feeling and always opened his arms when he needed comforting. The maknae didn’t deny that his leader was most assuredly handsome and his goofy smile made his brown eyes light up and made everyone around him smile as well. 

He thought it was slightly weird how his hyung had been acting lately though. He seemed frightened by something, and it almost made him clingy to the maknae—not that Taemin minded. There were deep unknown feelings he had for the leader, but he wasn’t exactly sure what. The skinship was anything but friendly or brotherly, but Jinki never said anything about it, which made the youngest believe that he thought of Taemin as nothing more than a simple dongseng. Taemin didn’t mind this for now, simply enjoying that he got to be near the leader at all.

Jinki, on the other hand, was silently berating himself over and over for his stupidity. The object of his obsession --five year long obsession, mind you-- gave him such trouble being normal that it was almost as if Taemin subtly knew the power he had over the leader. He gripped Taemin’s hand tighter, thinking of the constant chances he'd had over the years to confess to Taemin, and how each time he had chickened out.

It bothered him, that he wasn’t perfect for Taemin. He knew his feelings were something that would never be returned in a million years, but that didn’t stop the leader from clinging to his obsession and holding him close for however long he could.

The car stopped and the five piled out, riding up the elevator to their dorm. Jinki kept his hand interlaced with Taemin’s, glad the younger never thought twice about how close they were. It made the ride hostile though. Minho was glaring a hole into the leader’s head and the other two members were busy sprouting off about people being too stupid. Taemin bounced out first when they reached their floor, tugging the leader behind him and to the door first. The moment it was open, the maknae let go of Jinki and headed straight for the kitchen. Jinki whimpered as he watched the maknae bounce around happily in the kitchen, a carton of banana milk in his hand and jumbled words falling from his lips. The leader opened his mouth, hoping to just blurt out the words he'd had been dying to say for years. Instead he was blinded by the younger's bright smile and gorgeous laughter.

He slumped away, defeated and frustrated with himself. Why couldn't he just say it? Why couldn't he do anything right? It wouldn't be long before Taemin was snatched up by someone who wasn't him...that someone being a certain member of their group. He'd throw himself off a building before that happened though.

Two angels in disguise agreed from further away in the living room. A devil from down the hall would see to it that they all were wrong.

Kibum and Jonghyun saw the hostility, they truly did. If the dorm umma had anything to say about it, it would be that he much preferred Jinki to finally confess to Taemin and have the maknae confess in return. The diva wasn’t blind to how attached Taemin was to the leader and those cute little smiles he would give the maknae. Jonghyun saw it too; he saw the way Jinki would go out of his way just to do something for Taemin. He saw the way the maknae would pout if he couldn’t hold Jinki’s hand or if the leader sat too far away from him.

What the two also saw was the dangerous aura from the fifth member of their group. The devil in the dorm umma’s eyes had only been pining after Taemin for a short amount of time. Minho did anything he could to try and get Taemin’s attention, even if it was going so far as to move in the middle of Jinki and Taemin.

Jonghyun hated how Taemin was slightly oblivious to it though. The maknae didn’t think of Minho as anything more than his hyung and friend, but allowed the older to come in the middle. Jonghyun could always see the look of hurt and frustration in Jinki’s eyes when Minho would steal the maknae’s attention away from him.

Kibum didn’t like the thought of Minho sweeping Taemin off his feet in the slightest. Not only was the flaming charisma of their group too immature for Taemin himself, he had a reputation for breaking hearts. It was well known around that company that Minho had a string of flings with men and women alike and that he rarely had a thing for commitment. It was almost as if he liked being a heartbreaker.

The two knew how much Taemin looked up to his hyungs for advice and comfort. They would see to it though, that Minho didn’t make Taemin a notch on his bedpost. Kibum grabbed Jinki as he was slumping down the hall and pointed to the kitchen, “Go make sure he doesn’t make a mess of my kitchen.”

Jinki frowned but heeded his dongsaengs words, trailing back to the kitchen and quietly saying Taemin’s name. Jonghyun smirked when he saw the maknae smile brightly and hand Jinki his banana milk. It was common knowledge that the maknae did not share his precious banana milk with anyone. This was how they knew Jinki was special to Taemin. Before Jinki could say anything in return though, Minho entered the kitchen and flashed his dazzling smile at Taemin. The maknae was distracted for a moment, and Jinki pouted.

Kibum knew it was time to intervene, this had gone on too long.

“Tae?” Kibum and Jonghyun trailed over to the kitchen and Taemin looked up from his spot in between Jinki and Minho.

“Neh, Umma?”

“Can you run out to the store for me? We need more rice for dinner later.”

“Why me?”

Jonghyun chuckled at the furious look on Minho’s face.

“Just go. He’s making your favorite.”

At the sound of his favorite food, Taemin’s eyes lit up. He quickly gave Jinki a hug and patted Minho’s arm as he ran past them all and grabbed the outstretched won Kibum had in his hand. The maknae left quietly, humming to himself as he made his way to the elevator. What he missed though was the start of a war.

Back inside the dorm, Minho glared at the leader who was still clutching Taemin’s banana milk in his hands.

“I don’t see why he shares with you.”

Kibum narrowed his eyes, “Please, Minho, Tae can share with anyone he wants.”

The diva crossed the kitchen and began removing food from the refrigerator so he could start dinner. The athlete stared at Kibum’s back.

 “And what the hell does that mean?”

Jonghyun took his rightful seat at the table and rested his head. He would enjoy this. Most of the time, he and Kibum stayed out of the way, wanting Taemin and Jinki to get together on their own. But he could see now that they needed a slight push if Minho was butting his head in.

Jinki crossed his arms, “I don’t appreciate you raising your voice, Minho. Let it go.”

“Don’t act innocent in this, Hyung. You know they always take your side.”

The diva snorted, “Because he’s always right. Isn’t that why he’s the leader?”

Minho frowned, “I don’t get it. What’s your obsession with Taemin? Shouldn’t you let him make his own decisions?”

“Yah! You’re such a hypocrite,” Kibum swung around with his trusty spatula in hand and pointed it at Minho. “You’re the one who butts in whenever Taemin is obviously happy. You just did it five minutes ago. You always have to get his attention when he’s busy with someone else.”

“Not my fault he’s adorable. I like him, too. Did you ever think about that?”

Jonghyun shook his head. He had been staring at Jinki, watching the elder of the group frown in anger at how casually Minho was taking about his love interest. They all were so obvious that is was almost sickening and hard to watch.

“You like anything that moves.”

Minho scoffed and crossed his arms. He turned his attention to the leader now.

 “He doesn’t even like you that way, I don’t see why you try.”

Jinki didn’t have an answer for that, because he didn’t know how Taemin felt. But he did know that he knew Taemin didn’t feel anything for Minho. That however…could easily change if Jinki didn’t do anything about it. Jinki narrowed his eyes and stepped closer to Minho.

“With your reputation, Minho-ah, I doubt Taemin would ever feel the same. He’s not going to be another lay for you.”

“I care for him much more than that.”

“You said the same thing to Sulli three months ago. The girl is still chasing after you.”

Minho rolled his eyes. His hyungs were always on his back about his flings and relationships and it was clear that getting somewhere with Taemin would not be easy, despite being in the same band as him. He cursed the fact that he roomed with Jonghyun and not Taemin. It would make his life so much easier. Right now though, he had an angry Jinki staring at him. Jinki rarely got angry and when he did, it wasn’t because of a light reason.

“Back off. Taemin doesn’t need to be hurt by you.”

“I resent the fact that you’re keeping me from him. Why don’t you let him make his own decision?!”

Kibum rolled his eyes and continued to cook. Taemin would choose Jinki any day, any night. They didn’t need to be geniuses to figure that out. However, Taemin cared for his hyungs. There was no doubt that if he knew Minho was hurt, he would be hurt for Minho. That’s what Kibum wanted to avoid. Minho knew this advantage and would use it to his heart’s content.

Jonghyun finally sighed, “Omo, just let it go. You’ve proved nothing to us.”

“I can prove everything to you.”

Jinki felt like this was a challenge, one he could win—if he stopped being a coward. The look in Minho’s eyes told the leader that he didn’t care. He had been after Taemin purely for the fact of saying he had been the first one to be with Taemin intimately. Jinki wasn’t okay with this in the slightest and it only angered him more. The maknae deserved more respect than that and Minho knew Jinki was in love with him.

“If you were actually a respectful man you’d know that I was in lo-”

The door opening and Taemin’s bright voice cut him off. “Hyungs! I’m back!”

Kibum poked Minho’s chest and hissed, “This isn’t over. If I hear you so much as touched a hair on his head you’ll be wishing for mercy.”

Minho knew the threat was real, too. Taemin was Kibum’s unofficial son. He was doted on by the three oldest. There would no doubt be trouble for him.

Taemin reentered the kitchen and set the bag of rice down on the counter.

“Here you go, Umma!”

“Thanks, Tae. Hey, why don’t you go watch a movie. Jinki-hyung was just saying he wanted to relax and watch some new horror film.”

Taemin peered at the leader who was silently thanking Kibum for running interference.

“Sure! Only if I get to hide during the scary parts, Hyung.”

“Of course, Minnie.”

Taemin smiled at that and grabbed the elder’s hand, dragging him from the kitchen. Jinki threw a smile behind him as he followed after Taemin, catching Minho’s eye as well.

Jonghyun stood, “If you knew what was good for you, you’d let them be.”

“It’ll never happen. Jinki doesn’t have the courage to do it.”

The second oldest knew that. He was too afraid of rejection. However…he had a couple of allies.

“Just leave them alone.” 

Minho shook his head, “This conversation isn’t over.”

He may have lost the first battle, but this war was just starting. He grabbed his coat and stomped out of the kitchen, mumbling under his breath about Taemin being too damn stupid to realize what he wanted in the first place.

Jonghyun wrapped his arms around Kibum from behind, “Things are about to get chaotic here, aren’t they?”

 The diva nodded quietly. Minho may have a couple of advantages, but so did Kibum. That one being that Taemin would always listen to him. Now he just had to get it into the boy’s head about Jinki being the better choice.

“Stir this.”

Jonghyun raised an eyebrow, but did as his lover requested. He watched as the diva made a bowl of popcorn and walked into the living room were Taemin was curled up next to Jinki. The leader was blushing as he had his arm wrapped around the younger, shielding him like he had promised.

Kibum held out the popcorn, “Here. Enjoy this until dinner’s ready.”

Taemin popped up, “Thanks, Hyung!”

“Minho has gone out, and Jjongie and I have a schedule later. Will you two be alright together?”

“Neh! Hyung said he’d have a movie marathon with me!”

Kibum smirked. The leader was staring down at the maknae, obviously trying to get the damn words on his lips. The diva nodded. He was going to make this happen, even if he had to shout to Taemin that Jinki loved him. He was the diva and he always got his damn way. Minho wasn’t winning this war. Jinki would and Kibum would make sure of it.

 

AN: Let the story begin~~!