Mrs. Jung is a mind reader?

Night came on

Amber's P.O.V.

“Vic? Yeah, it’s Krystal.” I rolled over on the bed watching her as she spoke in a hushed voice on the phone. She didn’t know I was awake yet. “Listen, I need to you to research anything involving Werewolves and hybrids. It’s Amber, what?” She paused listening intently to whatever it is that Vic was saying. “No, I don’t think so. I’m not sure, but it doesn’t look good. I’m worried Vic, it’s hurting her.” I was surprised when I heard a slight crack in her voice. “Please just figure out how to help her. I have to go, ok, yes, ok bye.” I watched her put the phone down she shifted around for a moment before she turned around to face me. She was surprised to see me awake. “Amber.”

“Hey, meatloaf time?” She knew I heard it all, but I didn’t want to get into that right then. My stomach growled for emphasis and she chuckled.

“Yeah, I’ll go grab a plate for you, how are you feeling?” The concerned look was back on her face and it made me feel guilty for not coming to her sooner. I shrugged a little, trying to play it off.

“About half a llama, maybe after some grub I’ll be back to a full llama.” I flashed a dorky smile at her and she just shook her head laughing as she exited the room. A couple of moments later Krystal came back to the room juggling two plates full of food and two cans of soda. “Damn Krys, were you a waitress in a past life or something? Those are some mad balancing skills.”

“I did some waitressing over that summer…” her voice trails off and I remembered her stint in L.A. after she ran away from home, to stay with me. I frowned, I really didn’t know the whole story but before I was back to the land of the sane again, I apparently did something so messed up that they wanted to lay me down executioner style, Krys ran away with me to stop them. I knew she had to take a part time gig to have money to keep us fed and whatnot, but what happened after that I don’t know, I tried talking to her about it a couple of times, but she got so sad that I just couldn’t force the topic. Which is also why she made me promise not to do the mind reading thing again, so I wouldn’t force the details out of her.  Way to bring up her painful past dunce! No wonder the girl didn’t want to tell you anything.

“Sorry Krys, I didn’t mean to-“She shook her head quickly handing me a plate and putting the sodas down on her night stand next to the bed.

“No, don’t worry about it. It’s fine. Plus a compliment on my waitressing skills? That is new and totally welcome.” She smiled brightly at me and I laughed.

“Yeah? Well let’s see how well you service me, I might give you a good tip.” I winked at her as she choked on some mashed potatoes. I laughed and patted her back. She recovered and glared at me.

“You can NOT say things like that while I’m eating!”

I chuckled again and just as another forkful was about to enter I mumbled, “It’s not MY fault you have trouble swallowing.” I heard a coughing sound and laughed again when I turned and saw Krystal red faced.

“Amber!” At that I laughed even harder ignoring the pain in my side. I turned to look at her and gave her my best dorky grin.

“What?” Just then I felt a warm plop against my forehead, the mashed potatoes leaking slowly down the bridge of my nose. OH HELL NO! I looked at Krystal incredulously as she gave into a fit of giggles. “Oh hell no!” I unceremoniously grabbed a handful of mashed potatoes and fired it at her quickly. She gasped as it plopped onto her chest with a heavy thud. I smirked at her under the mask of mashed potatoes that was currently covering my face when I felt a carrot smack me in the eye. “Ow! Damn it Krys!” I reached out blindly at her and all I heard is shuffling and giggling beside me. I finally grabbed a hold of her and she let out a surprised squeak as I pulled her up and over me.

“Amber! Stop! You’re hurt!” I laughed at her weak reasoning.

“Yeah I know, that means you shouldn’t struggle so much, you could hurt me.” She stopped wiggling around as she realized I was right, and I laughed grabbing a handful of mixed vegetables. My hand hovered above her face a stray pea slipping from my grasp and landing on her nose. I tried to keep my face as serious as possible. Well as serious as anyone’s face can be while covered in mashed potatoes. “You know, I really don’t want to do this Krystal.”

She looked at me mildly amused and unconvinced, “Oh yeah? Then don’t Josephine.” I nodded solemnly at her.

“But I must. If I don’t surely word will get out of my defeat, and I just can’t let that happen.” My hand moved closer to her face and she squeaked again, wiggling a little before stopping.

“Ah! Stop! I give, what do you want? I’ll make you a deal, a compromise?” I lowered my hand a little pretending to consider her offer. I leaned in closer to her, closer than I should have, and even the ridiculousness of this situation didn’t ease the romantic tension in that moment. All at once I could feel her s push against mine with each breath she took. I could smell her perfume lingering on her skin.  She leaned up unexpectedly and placed an innocent kiss on my cheek before pulling away. I let out a low growl and her breath hitched as she regarded me curiously but not moving away as I leaned a little closer, “Amber?”  I was about to close the tiny distance between us when I heard a gasp from the doorway.

“Kryssie??”

Damn it Tiffany!

 

 

After Krystal jumped like ten feet away from me she quickly ushered Tiffany out of the room leaving me alone with a giant mess of vegetables and meatloaf. I growled a little as I cleaned up and salvaged as much food as possible. What? Like I’m gonna let this go to waste? I think not. I heard a chuckle from the doorway and my head snapped up to see Mrs. Jung trying to stifle her laughter at the mess that me and Krystal made on the bed. “Um… Amber honey, did you have some trouble eating?” I laughed a little at that, I mean I’m pissed but, Mrs. Jung, she’s cool you know?

“Me and Krystal kinda got into a little bit of a food fight… sorry about the mess.” She smiled and nodded warmly at me. She crossed into the room gathered the plates from the bed quickly.

“Well it’s a good thing this is Krystal’s bed then isn’t it? She’ll have to clean it herself.” I laughed a little at that, served her right. “You on the other hand should probably get cleaned up, how’s a bath sound?” It sounded a-freaking-mazing, that’s how it sounded! I knew I’d been in that bed for days on end and the sweat clinging to my body was definitely adding to the uncomfortable feeling I had. She didn’t wait for me to respond as she pulled back the sheets and reached for my hand. I looked at her for a second, almost denying her help before she flashed an icy glare at me. Ah, that’s where Krys gets it from. I laughed and shook my head accepting her help from the bed.

“Thanks. You don’t hav-“ She cut me off with a gentle kiss on my cheek. I froze, what the heck is up with these Jung chicks and kissing me?

“I want to sweet heart. You’re important to Krystal, and you’re important to me.” I blinked rapidly at that, important to Krystal? Since when? I mean I knew I was, but that was a long time ago. At most Krystal felt guilty, I was the first, if it wasn’t for me taking the bullet on that Xialeth demon, she would’ve been transfused with the same monster. But as it was, I was just that much older, and so when they realized that the demon was to powerful, they switched tactics and demons. Krystal and all the other hybrids were infused with Rylocth demons, just as powerful, but a lot less likely to drive you insane and make you all evil and stuff. Best as I could figure that’s why she protected me for so long, cause she knew if it wasn’t for me then it would’ve been her. But after I got back to normal, she was gone. It’s been two years since I got back to the land of the sane, and Krys… she barely talks to me. She could give a less about me, not that I blame her, I’m sure I did some pretty messed up stuff that year. I was about to respond when she gave me another look. “She doesn’t express it so well sometimes, but I can tell, when she looks at you, it’s…” her voice trailed off as she looked closely at me.

 My eyes darted around trying not to give anything away, but her gaze was intense and I squirmed under it before she smiled at me. “You care a lot about her too don’t you?” Say what?! I thought briefly that Mrs. Jung had developed some telepathy and I panicked, trying beg her with my thoughts. , please don’t tell Krystal, she hates me. Don’t Mrs. Jung, please I’ll do anything you want. Do you need a personal slave? I can totally do that, I have wings yo, that’s super convenient for picking up groceries and stuff, plea- she cut my thoughts off.


“You care a lot more than you want her to know.” I quirked my eyebrow at her and cast a sideways glance at her. Are you reading my thoughts right now, or are you just messing with me? Mrs. Jung laughed at my expression.

“I’m not reading your thoughts Amber.” My eyes widened at that and Mrs. Jung laughed whole heartedly at me before responding. “Sweetie I’ve known you since you were 5 years old, do you honestly think I need to read your mind to know what you’re thinking?” I frowned at that.

“I-“ She cut me off, shaking her head at me. She seemed like she was looking right through me and it was making me crazy uncomfortable.

“It’s ok, I- it’s ok. Let’s get you into the bath, ok?” I nodded at her dumbly and she helped me into the bathroom. She started running the water before turning to me. “Ok sweetie just get in and I’ll bring you a towel and some fresh clothes.” I nodded again, still not really sure of what to say to her. When she exited the bathroom, I stripped down and slowly eased myself into the tub, hissing as the warm water stung at my wound. I felt my elbow buckle a little and I started to fall before I felt a strong arm around my back. My eyes snapped up and I saw Krystal staring back at me intensely.

“Thanks.” I mumbled before looking away from her. I tried to suppress the blush that wanted to creep up my cheeks and I could see her nod from the corner of my eye and she eased me the rest of the way into the tub.

“Mom gave me the towel and clothes for you. Are you good to…” She trailed off and I looked up at her. I followed her gaze and realized that she was staring very obviously at my upper torso. I blushed again and looked away from her, before clearing my throat and forcing a false bravado.

“See something you like?” I lowered my voice a couple of octaves as I said it, and I could see the shudder as it went through her before she snapped her eyes away. She was about three shades shy of a tomato.

“What? I? No! I mean… Um… Let me know if you need help getting out, I’m going to-“ and with that she was out the door. I sighed, great, now she was never going to look you in the eye again, good ing job Amber, good ing job.

 

 

 

I walked slowly towards Krystal’s room after getting dressed. It was still too much pain to move too much but the bath really helped me feel better. I crossed the threshold and repressed a laugh as I watched Krystal angrily mumbling to herself while she picked her dirty bedcovers up from the floor. “Oh let’s just throw vegetables at Krystal and then eat her meatloaf! Damn it Josephine!”

“You always talk to yourself Krys?” I chuckled as she spun around surprised. She clutched at her chest as she glared at me.

“Damn it Amber, don’t sneak up on me like that!” I laughed again but winced at the pain in my side. So much for the healing effects of a good bath, Krystal noticed and dropped the sheets before coming closer to me. She motioned towards the edge of my shirt then looked up at me. “Can I?” I nodded and she peeled the shirt away from my stomach, her eyebrows wrinkling as she studied the wound. Her fingers came up to gingerly brush at my skin and I couldn’t suppress the hiss that escaped my lips. She looked at me apologetically and motioned for me to sit on her bed. I did and she kneeled next to me, using one hand to lift up my shirt again and the other to grab the first aid kit from her night stand. I tried to concentrate on anything but the fact that she was so close to my crotch at that moment.

“I..ah...” I whimpered as the alcohol swab brushed a little too roughly against my skin. She grimaced and looked up at me. “It’s cool. I’m good.” I mumbled through gritted teeth. She nodded and started again, more gently this time and I was grateful for it. “So… what’d Tiffany want?” I tried to sound nonchalant but that was hard to do with a shooting pain coming up your side. She noted the pain in my voice and pulled her hand away before leaning in and blowing across my skin. I groaned at the sight and Krystal mistook it for more pain, wrinkling her eyebrows with concern.

“She...uh, she wanted to do a healing spell on you. I didn’t think it was a good idea because we haven’t really researched enough, but now… maybe I should’ve let her.” She looked up at me guiltily. I shook my head at her and threw her an easy grin.

“No worries Krys, number one hybrid here remember? I’ll be okay.” She didn’t look convinced but she nodded anyway going back to dressing my wound. “So, how’d she know I was here?” She looked at me confused.

“I told her… we’ve been researching how to help you for the past three days Amber. You may not think so but we do care.” The last part came out in an angry rush and I winced at her tone. I wanted to tell her that the only reason Tiffany was so concerned was because she probably felt guilty that her little doggy ruined the backup hybrid, but I held my tongue. I could deal with Krystal caring about me, even if I didn’t really believe it, but her sidekicks? Nah. She finished dressing my wound but she lingered a little longer and looked up at me. “About earlier, before Tiff-“ I didn’t need this.

“Forget about it Krys. I get it, you have Kai. No problem.”

“No!” She said it so quickly that I looked at her truly surprised. “Uh… I mean, no, me and Kai, we’re not…I’m done with that Amber.” Yeah like I’m gonna believe that , I could smell him all over her, all of time. I sniffed at her again before I could stop myself and her eyes widened. “Amber!” I pulled back immediately and looked at her apologetically.

“Sorry, in’ wolf .” I grunted as I leaned back into the bed. “Still doesn’t explain why I can smell him on you tho.” I muttered under by breath, but I knew she heard me. She sighed and got up and sat next to me on the bed.

“Amber, he’s a friend, a fellow warrior. We train, we hang out, but that’s it. I got over him, just because he’s around doesn’t mean we’re back together. I don’t want to go there with him. I’m done with that.” I nodded slowly trying to understand what exactly she was telling me. Then a sudden realization hits me.

“Oh! Right, Scotty boy right?” She winced at me and I wondered if maybe I got his name wrong.

“He kind of dumped me… right before homecoming.” A low growl escaped my lips.

“Prick.” It came out before I could stop myself and Krystal laughed nudging me a little.

“Thanks. I can’t blame him though, I was kind of distracted anyway with you and the Lecathera stuff, I didn’t really pay much attention to him.” I nodded.

“Sorry.” She shrugged at that.

“It would’ve been nice to have someone to go to Homecoming with, but whatever. And anyway I had a pretty good date that night.” My eyebrows shot up at that. There was another little er that I had to contend with?! What the hell, how long was I passed out for? She watched the emotions pass over my face before chuckling lightly. “Yep, she was hot.” My eyebrows shot up even higher and I stared at her blankly. Did she just say she was hot?!  “Didn’t talk much tho, just kinda lied there.”

“Uh…” I knew I should’ve been jealous, but there were so many images running through my mind that I thought my brain died from overload. She laughed again.

“Yep, that’s ok, we stayed in, watched all of my favorite girly movies, she even let me paint her nails hot pink.” At that she grabbed my hand and waved it in front of my face. For the first time since I’d been awake I noticed that my fingernails are obnoxiously pink. I grimaced at the sight and shot her a death glare.

“You painted my nails!” I ripped my hand away from her trying to rub the nail polish out, she laughed again.

“Aww Josephine leave it! It looks sooooo cute on you!” She was laughing uncontrollably and didn’t even notice that suddenly there was a pillow coming directly at her head. “Guh!” It was my turn to laugh as Krystal sputtered and waved her hands around wildly trying to fend off further attacks. She finally got her hands on another pillow on the bed and we were both facing each other pillows raised above our heads poised for attack. The pillows were about to come down when-

“Girls!” We both stopped mid swing and looked guiltily over at Mrs. Jung. We dropped the pillows and both muttered apologies at her as she shook her head at us. “Really, am I going to have to separate you?” We shook our heads looking down like scolded children. She laughed a little and shook her head before coming over to us. She kissed each of us on our foreheads and smiled at the blush on my cheeks. “Now Krystal clean this mess up and come downstairs and get some dessert for you and Amber.” My eyes lit up and my stomach growled at the mention of desert, they both laughed at me again and I shrugged. I like food, so sue me!

---------------------------------------------
Hey guys sorry for taking so long to update. I've been really stressed out lately, lots of job interviews. crying Anyway here's another update for you, hope you enjoy it. I'll try and update again soon. Let me know what you think so far.