Meatloaf

Night came on

Amber's P.O.V.

My vision was blurry as I started to wake up. Like some messed up dream sequence in a movie or something. Yeah like that’s what I needed, another dog demon dream. I grunted and rubbed at my eyes, where the hell am I? I sniffed into the air recognizing the smell immediately, Krystal. My eyes snapped open fully and I tried to take in where I was through my hazy vision. “Amber honey? Are you awake?” My eyes shifted to the woman to the right of me and for the first time since waking I noticed the feel of a gentle hand on my forehead.

“I-who? Mrs. Jung?” I blinked confused trying to turn my head to look up at her.

“No sssh honey, just stay still.” She pressed her hand more firmly on my forehead, rubbing my temple for a little bit before removing her hand and placing a gentle kiss on my forehead. “I’m going to go get you some food sweetie, you must be starving, you’ve been asleep for quite some time.” She was out of the room before I could respond and I reached up and touched my forehead where she kissed me. Mrs. Jung was always like a mom to me and I appreciated her care for me. My parents died when I was very young, so she was the closest thing I ever had to a real mom. I sighed, I missed being around her.

“Amber?” My hand snapped away from my forehead as I looked towards the doorway.

“Krys?” She came towards the bed and gently sat next to me. She rested a hand on my stomach and looked intently at me.

“How are you feeling?” I blinked several times before deciding that this haze was just not going away. Does that mean it really is a dream? I gotta say it’s definitely a step up from watching a supernatural brawl in the woods.

“Confused. Where am I?” I tried to sit up but she pushed me back down softly. I was about to protest when she cut me off a look.  An icy look, to anyone else it would’ve been terrifying, but to me it was somewhat comforting and I just grinned in response, obeying her silent order and laying back against the bed.

“Don’t. You’ll hurt yourself. You’re at my house. I freaked out when you passed out in the gym so I took you here, we’ve been watching you for a couple of days now. Amber why-“ She looked so concerned it almost made me want to-Wait what? Passed out?

“Wait what?! Passed out? A couple of days?! How long have I been asleep?? What the fu-“ I cut myself off when I heard Mrs. Jung cough uncomfortably at the door. “Sorry.” I mumbled. I didn’t know what it is about that woman but she always manage to make me feel like a little kid again. Well not like I felt when I was little cause I used to cuss up a storm I didn’t care who was around. She just made me feel… respectful? She smiled warmly at me and walked towards the bed.

“It’s ok Honey, here’s your soup. I wasn’t sure how much your stomach could handle what with the fever and all.” Almost all at once I felt the sweat against my body clinging to my clothes as if it didn’t exist before she mentioned it. I nodded as she handed the soup to Krystal who looked ready to feed me. I may have been hurt but there was no way in hell that I was letting that happen, I scowled at her and she laughed.

“Well at least I know you’re feeling better.” She shook her head, putting the soup down before helping me into a sitting position and handing me the bowl. Mrs. Jung looked at the two of us curiously before shaking her head and motioning towards the bowl.

“Let me know if you want more sweetie, there’s plenty where that came from and if you’re up for it later I can make some meatloaf.” My stomach growled in response and both Jung women were laughing at me. What?! Her meatloaf is ing delicious. “I’ll take that as a yes.” She left the room still laughing slightly and I shrugged my shoulders before starting to gulp down the soup.

“Geez Amber, breathe much?!” I finished off the last of the soup before handing the bowl to Krystal and grinning widely. “Pig.” I laughed a little at that, before Krystal turned to me staring at me seriously. “So, what was that Amber? What did that to you? I know it wasn’t a Vampire, so don’t even try lying to me.” I sighed and looked up at her and even through the haze I could still see determination set on her face.

“Not so much what as who…” I let my voice trail off trying to figure out if there was a way out of this. Even I am not stubborn enough to believe that after more than a week the wound will heal on its own. . A hybrid werewolf, this is so messed up. I chanced a look at her and there was so much concern on her face. My thoughts flashed back to the dream from a couple nights ago. Those glowing eyes staring sadly at me, a whisper brushed against my memory.

Let me help you.

 I turned away from her sighing as I did.

“Amber what-“ I cut her off with a  quick huff.

“It was Taeyeon.”

 

 

Flashback

“Who’s damn idea was it to get her drunk on the bloodmoon anyway?!” I huffed angrily through the walkie talkie as I continued stalking down the hallway dart gun in hand.

“Yuri-unnie. They were celebrating, though probably not the best day to do it.” I rolled my eyes.

“Yeah, no . What was so important that they had to celebrate today of all days?” I stopped my muscles tensing as I heard a growl coming from around the corner of the dark corridor.

“Tiffany finally accepted Taeyeon’s stamp.” I frowned at that, I knew both girls for years. Taeyeon was a full breed werewolf and Tiffany was a high level alchemist, the two had been dating on and off for as long as I could remember. They were even close friends of mine… a long time ago. Still it hurt that I had to find the news out this way. I shook my head to clear the thoughts when I heard another growl, closer.

“Krys, I think she’s on my scent. Are you good with Yuri on your own?”

“Yeah, I got her Amber. Be careful, Taeyeon is a full breed… she’s a lot more dangerous than the others and it’s a blood moon.” I nodded acknowledging the fact that this take down would be tricky especially if I didn’t want to hurt Taeyeon in the process. Full breed werewolves are at least ten times more powerful than their half breed, or infected counter parts. For the most part full breeds could control their change, and how they acted inside the wolf, however, on the day of the blood moon, their animal instincts were stronger, and with Taeyeon intoxicated, on mystic alcohol no less (I’m going to kick Yuri’s for this.) her human side was nowhere to be seen.

“I’ll be careful Krys. Just make sure you get home in one piece, your sister would kill me if you got hurt on this mission.” I heard Krystal chuckle through the other line as I watched the large black wolf turn the corner, its eyes locking with mine.

“Awww is the big bad rogue hybrid scared of my older sister?” I grinned aiming the dart gun at the furry figure in the distance.

“You bet your , Jungs are crazy.” All at once the wolf charged at me, and to say I underestimated its speed is an understatement. It was on me before I could react, and I barely had time to shift into demon mode before it started to try to bite me. I deflected its nuzzle and growled in response, trying to control the strength that I used against the beast. It was trying to rip my throat out but still it was Taeyeon underneath and I didn’t want to hurt the older girl. “God damn it Taeyeon, heel!” I pushed back forcefully successfully propelling the wolf off of me and quickly grabbed my dart gun again. I pointed and shot the gun, the dart of tranquilizer taking effect instantly as the oversized dog whimpered and passed out in response.

“Amber! Amber?! Are you okay?” I looked over to the walkie talkie that had landed across the hall and quickly picked it up.

“Yeah, yeah, I’m fine. The just caught me by surprise is all.”

“Amber… you shouldn’t call Taeyeon unnie that.”

“Yeah yeah yeah, when she’s not trying to rip out my throat I’ll call her whatever you want, but right now, I think I’m allowed. Plus…. She’s sleeping anyway. Did you put your mutt down?” Krystal chuckled and I could picture her shaking her head at my response.

“Yeah, Yuri’s down for the count. I’ll call up the cleaners and get them locked up for the night. You gonna head home or do you wanna grab some food?” I considered the option but I felt a sting in my lower abdomen and noticed the small slice on my stomach. I sighed knowing that Krystal would freak out about it if she saw it.

“Nah, I’m tired, I’m just going to call it a night. Tell these chumps I’m gonna kick their butts the next time I see them, okay?” Krystal laughed again and I smiled at the sound.

“Yeah, I’ll let them know. See you later Amber.”

 

End Flashback

 

After a couple of moments of silence I looked over to Krystal’s face trying to read her reaction, but I was met with a blank stare. “Taeyeon…” It wasn’t a question, so I didn’t respond. “When… when did?”

“When you were chasing Yuri, she bested me for a couple of minutes before I could shove her off. I had her arms held down but… her hind legs, it was just a small scratch, I didn’t think anything of it, I mean, hybrids heal everything right?”

“But it got worse…” I nodded my hand unconsciously going to cover my stomach. Krystal seemed to shake herself out of her daze and she looked at me, concerned? Angry? I don’t know but I hated the way it made me feel. Guilty. Vulnerable.

“Why didn’t you say anything Amber? I mean once you knew it was getting worse?” I shrugged and looked down at the comforter. “Amber?” She reached under my chin and made me meet her eyes.

“I just, I’m not weak Krystal.” I shook my head and my voice came out more angry and aggressive then I’d meant it to and Krystal’s hand dropped. “I’ll be fine. I’m a hybrid, I’ll heal, no big.” I tried to make my tone a little lighter that time but Krystal seemed unconvinced.

“Amber, even hybrids need help from their friends sometimes. That doesn’t make you weak, it just makes you human.” I laughed humorlessly and glared at her. Friends? Who is she ing kidding?

“Friends? Who are you kidding? I don’t have friends Krys and I don’t need any either.” I moved to get off the bed, but it was all too quick and before I knew it the room is spinning the floor was getting closer and I felt a strong arm grabbing me before impact. I tried to shrug her off, but everything was hazy and I could feel the pain bubbling under my skin. I let out a growl as she pulled me closer to her and back on the bed.

“Stop it Amber!” She held me tight as I struggled weakly against her. this, I don’t need this, I don’t need her pity.

“ off Krys.” I pushed at her again, but it was like pushing at a brick wall. When did she get so ing strong?

 “Stop. Please.” I could hear the sob in her voice and I froze. My eyebrows shot up as I felt her tears hit my neck. “Please.” It was just barely a whisper and before I knew what I was doing I wrapped my arms around her pulling her in closer.

“Sssh Krys. Krystal. Stop crying, it’s ok.” I didn’t know what the hell was going on. Since when did Krystal cry? In front of me no less, what is this about? And why did it feel so good to hold her like this? I shook my head trying to clear the thoughts out and in the motion I caught her scent in my nostrils. I breathed in deeply and I caught that scent again, the one that’s not hers, just lingering around her. I growled a little before I could help myself and I felt her laughing against me. I raised my eyebrow and looked at her curiously.

“You just sniffed me again, is that like a new wolf thing? And what’s with the growling? I just got used to your grunting.” She wrinkled her nose a little in mock disgust and I couldn’t help but laugh at the look on her face.  I shrugged a little before easing myself back. She looked a little disappointed but released her grip anyway and let me lean back against the bed.

“I guess, I don’t know. My nose has a mind of its own these days.” I gave a good whiff into the room for emphasis and she laughed again wiping the last of her tears away with the back of her hand. “Are you-“ I started but her stern look caught me off guard and I closed my mouth with a snap.

“We are friends Amber. We are. I care about you. You don’t know how worried I’ve been these past couple of days. I thought... I thought you were…” She trailed off and I studied her face for a minute trying to figure out if she was being real with me. I shrugged.

“Yeah, but that.” I waved my hand around, motioning at nothing in particular, but she knew what I meant. “That wasn’t all about me was it?” She looked surprised then almost guilty as she looked down at the comforter. I chuckled at that. “Hey no big, I can’t say I get off on making girls cry over me ya know?” I nudged her but I felt a jealousy rise up in my stomach as I almost spat the next words out. “So who is he?” She looked up at me genuinely surprised and I laughed even more at the look on her face. It was a cross between horrified and embarrassed and she looked adorable.

“How did yo-“ I tapped my nose and raised an eyebrow at her.

“This wolf thing has its perks I guess.” She wrinkled her nose at me and I grinned at her. “Hey no avoiding, we’re friends right? So dish. Unless…” It was a challenge, she may have though we were friends but we weren’t, we were coworkers at most. As much as I would love to be friends with Krystal, that wasn’t what we were and she was going to have to admit it. I knew I should’ve cut her some slack, she was being really nice to me but, I just knew once I was all healed up it was back to the dirty cheap studio apartment for me and then her and her friends down at headquarters, the good hybrids, would  just forget about me again. So that, you wanted to be friends Krystal, then man up and put yourself out there. I nodded a little when she didn’t respond right away. “Yeah. Right. Got it.” I was about to get off the bed when she caught me off guard putting a firm hand on my shoulder forcing me to stay.

“It’s Lecathera.” She looked almost as surprised as I did when the words left . Wait isn’t that guy a dark demon?

“Isn’t that guy a dark demon?” Krystal looked away from me at my words and I frowned watching her face. “Krystal don’t make me do the thing.” Her eyes snapped up to mine and she scowled at me.

“You promised you wouldn’t do that anymore.”

“Yeah, well I’m a liar. What do you expect I am the dark hybrid, the fallen warrior, the rogue, the evil de-“ I was listing off all of the nicknames I had gathered over time when Krystal’s hand came up to cover my lips cutting me off.

“Stop. You shouldn’t talk about yourself like that Amber- wait who calls you the rogue?”

“Well… just Key, but that one is my favorite.” Krystal chuckled at my response, shaking her head at me.

“You guys have a strange friendship.” I shrugged in response.

“Yeah, he’s strange, but… not so bad for an undead guy. Anyway, don’t think you’re distracting me from the subject here. What are you doing hanging around Lecathera for? He’s dangerous.” Krystal sighed in response.

“You’re not going to let that slide are you?” I shook my head at her.

“He…. He has something I need.” I scrunched my face up at that, gross. Krystal looked at my disgusted expression confused for a second before she gasped and smacked my arm.

“Amber! Not that! You ert!” I sighed relieved that Krystal hadn’t stooped to messing around with shady dark demons. She continued to glare at me and I just chuckled. God I really missed her ice stares.

“Hey don’t give me that look! This wouldn’t have happened if you just let me do that thing.” Krystal shook her head furiously in response.

“No! I’m not letting you do that! You promised Amber!” I held up my hands in defeat.

“I’m not doing it I swear! … You’d feel it if I did it.” I winked at her and she just laughed smacking my arm.

“Yah! Stop making your mind reading sound dirty.” I shrugged in response.

“Well if I can’t do it, I might as well have fun talking about it.” Krystal just smiled at me.

“I miss this Amber.” Her words caught me off guard and I was about to say something in response when Mrs. Jung entered the room, the cordless house phone in her hand.

“Krystal honey, it’s Tiffany. She says it’s urgent.” Krystal looked at me as if to ask permission and I just nodded dumbly in response. She walked out of the room to answer the phone and Mrs. Jung came to sit on the edge of the bed, her hand coming up to my forehead. “Your fever has gone down a bit. You should get some rest though sweetie.” I shook my head in response, but I couldn’t deny that I was feeling tired. Mrs. Jung chuckled at my resistance and simply her fingers through my hair. The pads of her fingers tracing my scalp, now I don’t know if this was because of this wolf thing, but the petting motion was really soothing, and before I knew it I started to drift off to sleep. I was about to drift off to sleep before I remembered something.

“Mrs. Jung, could you wake me up for the meatloaf?” I could vaguely hear Mrs. Jung laughing beside me when I finally gave into the sleep.

--------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys here's another update, with some backstory. One comment?? Is my story that bad?! I'm going to go cry in the corner now... :(